Unifying the Right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:06:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Alternative Elections (Moderator: Dereich)
  Unifying the Right
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Unifying the Right  (Read 1677 times)
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix
E: -9.99, S: -9.99

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2012, 08:27:20 PM »
« edited: May 19, 2012, 03:10:32 PM by adracman42 »

Alright, so I thought that I might try my luck and make a timeline. Nothing particularly clever, but I hope that I can get some input from you guys. I'll start with the Republican Primary in 2012 and go from there. Depending on how things go, I might go reasonably far in the future. The "point of divergence" is that the Republican Party of Iowa acknowledges Santorum's victory as it happens, as opposed to some time down the road. Let's just say that campaign's other than Romney's actually possess some organization and structure this time around, too. And on another note, I'm not actually going to tie the delegate counts to the specifics of the results. The relationship between results and the delegate selection process is too complicated and arbitrary for going at it entirely accurately to be worth it.

As of 1/7/12:
Santorum Wins Iowa By Slimmest of Margins
Santorum relishes victory in Iowa.

Results:
Rick Santorum: 25%
Mitt Romney: 24%
Ron Paul: 21%
Newt Gingrich: 13%
Rick Perry: 10%
Bachmann: 6%
Jon Huntsman: 1%

After having been turned down by Pennsylvania voters only 6 years ago, Rick Santorum has won the Republican primary in Iowa, the crucial first state in the cycle, over Mitt Romney by the razor-thin margin of 34 votes. Santorum only now begun to approach 10% in National Polling among Republican Primary voters. This victory represents a huge milestone for his campaign; a stunning finish such as this was predicted by very few professional pundits and Republican voters alike.

Bachmann and Perry Drop Out, Conservatives Find Some Solace in Santorum
Rick Perry and Michele Bachmann address their supporters after an disappointing performance in Iowa.

Now that the primary season has begun, the field of Republican candidates begins to shrink. Both Perry and Bachmann, who once led in Iowa polling, ended their campaigns after performing poorly in Iowa. Bachmann readily endorses Rick Santorum, applauding his devotion to the religious right. Perry seems to be feeling for his role, and holds out on endorsing for now.
Romney's Frontrunner Status Questioned, Huntsman Surges In New Hampshire
Hunstman campaigns in New Hampshire.

Public Policy Polling in NH on 1/7:
Mitt Romney: 30%
Jon Huntsman: 25%
Rick Santorum: 12%
Ron Paul: 11%
Newt Gingrich: 4%

Romney, while not necessarily consistently dominating in the polls, has enjoyed frontrunner status throughout what's happened as of yet. However, after struggling to perform in the Iowa primary, the Republican establishment has seriously begun to analyze him for his flaws. A "maybe Romney's not the most electable candidate after all" meme has introduced itself. Republican voters split themselves to both the right and to the center of Romney. Moderate Republicans, a group that, surprisingly, still exists, have left Romney for Jon Huntsman, the also-Mormon ex-Governor of Utah. Huntsman finds himself in a position to contest the New Hampshire primary, a state with a moderate Republican voting base, where both he and Mitt Romney are expected to perform at their bests.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 03:37:36 PM »

Oh no...  Great TL but I'm afraid of where this is heading.....
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:58:11 PM »

Actually, the end result may not be exclusively against your favor. Who knows where the butterflies might take us?
Actually, I have a pretty good idea.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »

Actually, the end result may not be exclusively against your favor. Who knows where the butterflies might take us?
Actually, I have a pretty good idea.

I feel like I'm about to ride X2....CONTINUE!  Wink
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 10:13:05 AM »

Go Jon, go!
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 02:14:22 PM »

I'm thinking a little farther down the road than that, but I'm glad to see your support.
Speaking of "down the road," I don't think that I can keep up this level of detail up if I intend to go anywhere with this.
I'll shoot for an update or two this weekend.
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 03:10:52 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2012, 03:12:38 PM by adracman42 »

As of 1/10/12:
Romney Wins New Hampshire, Strong Showing for Huntsman
Results:
Romney: 37%
Huntsman: 30%
Santorum: 14%
Paul: 13%
Gingrich: 6%
Despite a poor showing everywhere, Gingrich vows to stay in through South Carolina, emphasizing conservative values and attacking Huntsman and Romney's policies. Romney and Huntsman's campaigns rev into full gear, facing newfound resistance from Santorum's backing among conservatives.

As of 1/21/12:
Santorum Does It Again In South Carolina After Three-Way Race
Results:
Santorum: 30%
Huntsman: 27%
Romney: 26%
Paul: 9%
Gingrich: 8%
Solidifying his support among Evangelicals and traditional Tea Partiers, Santorum's growing coalition now has taken two of the three crucial first states in the primary cycle.  Gingrich formally suspends his campaign. All sights are now set on Florida, where Romney holds a slight lead.

National Republican Primary Polling, Rasmussen, 1/27:
Santorum: 26%
Romney: 23%
Huntsman: 22%
Paul: 9%

Public Policy Polling in FL on 1/29:
Mitt Romney: 29%
Rick Santorum: 28%
Jon Huntsman: 26%
Ron Paul: 11%
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 11:22:24 PM »

Interesting.  Is RP's media blackout worse than OTL?  (Or some other factor; how does Huntsman increase his vote so much and RP decrease so much in NH?)
adrac
adracman42

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:47:16 AM »

I would argue that any relative electoral success on Ron Paul's part really comes independent of media exposure. Here, it's a simple matter that Huntsman was more successful in sapping the moderate/libertarian/non-establishment/whatever-you-want-to-call-it vote from Paul.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 05:40:54 PM »

I would argue that any relative electoral success on Ron Paul's part really comes independent of media exposure. Here, it's a simple matter that Huntsman was more successful in sapping the moderate/libertarian/non-establishment/whatever-you-want-to-call-it vote from Paul.

Ok.  Anyway, looking forward to an update! Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies