Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 07:56:30 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Anarchists Arrested for Trying to Bomb Cleveland-area Bridge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Anarchists Arrested for Trying to Bomb Cleveland-area Bridge  (Read 1294 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
YaBB God
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 05:40:46 pm »
Ignore

Blowing up the bridges and then rebuilding them all would be excellent economic policy, however.

The broken window theory of economic development is bunk.

Well, obviously it isn't, but your objection is beside the point since the bridges are already 'broken' by wear and tear.

If you destroy a window, then you're giving work to the person to replace it, but it means the owner of said broken window is out of pocket, which could have been used to buy something else and thus stimulate the economy elsewhere.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 05:53:17 pm »
Ignore

not that I think parables are useful to explain real-world, but I'll engage.  are we not assuming that the fact the window was being broken had no effect on economic activity?  just because the money could have been spent on hookers if the window remained whole, doesn't mean I would not have sat on my ass and let the money rot under my mattress?  but surely if a bridge is blown up something would be done about it.

in a mirror, dimly lit
Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 05:57:47 pm »
Ignore

We have enough infrastructure problems to fix around here without blowing up bridges to create new ones.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:33 pm »
Ignore

If you destroy a window, then you're giving work to the person to replace it, but it means the owner of said broken window is out of pocket, which could have been used to buy something else and thus stimulate the economy elsewhere.

You're not talking about the proposal at hand at all.  The bridges aren't owned by anyone who has a limited 'budget', but by the State.

Anyway, why not just produce windows and throw them into the ocean?

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 08:48:53 pm »

You're not talking about the proposal at hand at all.  The bridges aren't owned by anyone who has a limited 'budget', but by the State.

Rather than building replacement bridges, wouldn't it advance the goals of the State more for them to use their printed money to hire and arm some more jack-booted thugs to go out and arrest people and put them in prison until bridges stop being blown up?  Your proposal leaves us with fewer bridges and more police, which is hardly a desirable combination.

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout