Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 26, 2014, 03:32:43 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  2010 Religion Census
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 2010 Religion Census  (Read 2934 times)
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2012, 11:08:39 pm »
Ignore

Interesting and great map but I have a few questions:

1. Will the Southern Baptist Convention expand into to South Texas or perhaps into Northern Virginia anytime in the decades to come?

2. Will the LDS make some inroads in Northern Arizona?

3. If Irreligions (Athiests/Agnostics) is really the number one "religious group" that is fast growing, where do you think they'll show up in the map?

"Weezy F Baby and the F is for Phenomenal" - Lil' Wayne

"Look at this photograph/Every time I do it makes me laugh/How did our eyes get so red?/And what the hell is on Joey's head?" - Nickelback
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 09:53:53 pm »
Ignore

Interesting and great map but I have a few questions:

1. Will the Southern Baptist Convention expand into to South Texas or perhaps into Northern Virginia anytime in the decades to come?

2. Will the LDS make some inroads in Northern Arizona?

3. If Irreligions (Athiests/Agnostics) is really the number one "religious group" that is fast growing, where do you think they'll show up in the map?

1. In Northern Virginia they probably had big numbers that got diluted by the northern transplants. I don't see northerners likely to conver to the SBC en masse any time soon, so the exact opposite will likely happen, they'll continue to roll back in the state. Ditto with South Texas, just replace "northerners" with "Hispanics"

2. I don't think Mormon transplants will be much faster than northern retirees and typical Sunbelt movers.

3. The maps don't include them.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 10:29:50 pm »
Ignore

Largest religious group by county:

Wow -look at all that blue.  If you took this map literally, you'd think the United States is predominately Catholic with a noticeably large Southern Baptist, Mormon, Methodist, and Evangelical Lutheran minority pockets...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 10:31:37 pm by Frodo »Logged

black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 10:38:51 pm »
Ignore

Wow -look at all that blue.  If you took this map literally, you'd think the United States is predominately Catholic with a noticeably large Southern Baptist, Mormon, Methodist, and Evangelical Lutheran minority pockets...

It's colored by plurality which can be quite misleading. Some of those blue counties are probably less than 20% Catholic.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
muon2
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 10:56:02 pm »

It's colored by plurality which can be quite misleading. Some of those blue counties are probably less than 20% Catholic.

And to Frodo's observation, one should conclude that it is nearly evenly divided between Catholics (1259) and Southern Baptists (1222) based on the number of counties for each.

Partial solar eclipse of April 15, 2014 with a cloud and large sunspot.
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 11:07:00 pm »
Ignore

And to Frodo's observation, one should conclude that it is nearly evenly divided between Catholics (1259) and Southern Baptists (1222) based on the number of counties for each.

I was speaking as a casual observer.  But point taken.  Still, it is remarkable just how heavily Catholic this map makes the US look, in comparison with its actual numbers (about a quarter of the population).   

BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 03:51:50 pm »
Ignore

Now a much better map would be religious attendance, too bad that's too broad to make into a map, but it would be an interesting look once it's made, if ever.

"Weezy F Baby and the F is for Phenomenal" - Lil' Wayne

"Look at this photograph/Every time I do it makes me laugh/How did our eyes get so red?/And what the hell is on Joey's head?" - Nickelback
Indy Texas
independentTX
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 11:01:05 pm »
Ignore

I think a more useful map might break the counties down by Catholic, Mainline Protestant, Evangelical Protestant, and LDS.

"Well, religious beliefs aren't reasonable. I mean, religious beliefs are categorical. You know, it's God tells you. It's not a matter of being reasonable. God be reasonable? He's supposed to have a full beard."
—Hon. Antonin Scalia, Holt v. Hobbs (2014)

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2012, 01:29:13 am »
Ignore

The decennial census of religions was released this week. The website shows the participation by county for a number of denominations. There is also a slide show report released to the press.

Adherents as a fraction of the population by county:

The numbers there are pretty low for Hampton Roads. It's certainly not because people here aren't religious. There's a lot of nondenominational or independent churches here  - from big screen latte megachurches to small holy roller street corner operations. And those purple and green areas extend all along the southeast coast and into the central Appalachians.  For a lot of this map, those low numbers reflect a particular type of religious involvement rather than its absence.

Ethelberth
YaBB God
Suriname

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 11:42:27 am »
Ignore

The map shows outback episcopalism. The fact that the congressman from the Montana, Wyoming or Eastern Oregon or Alaska tend to be Episcopals.
Ethelberth
YaBB God
Suriname

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 04:29:31 pm »
Ignore

Comparing the map to this
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=1042

You see that the congressmen are seldom alien to their electorate denomination wise. Interestigly, the methodist middle class is typical for south, but in these county maps it is typical for areas without any charasteristics. American Baptists are very underrepresented and American baptists too. However some dots of local dominance are reflected in the pattern of congressmen and plurality counties (e.g. Lutherans in West Coast).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:35:17 pm by Ethelberth »Logged
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout