Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 12:04:10 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  TEABAGGERS LOVE MURDER!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: TEABAGGERS LOVE MURDER!  (Read 905 times)
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:47:01 am »
Ignore

Also, if you were like "yeah!" you are part of the problem with political discourse in this country.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:52:37 am »
Ignore

I don't understand this guilt-tripping about rhetoric that seems to be all the rage these last few years. Rancor is the very essence of democracy. It's counterproductive to try to force or shame people with strong and irreconcilable beliefs to try to sterilize their political language.
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:00:56 am »
Ignore

I don't understand this guilt-tripping about rhetoric that seems to be all the rage these last few years. Rancor is the very essence of democracy. It's counterproductive to try to force or shame people with strong and irreconcilable beliefs to try to sterilize their political language.

Logical point.

However, there is surely a difference from saying "the GOP hates women!" and posting a story of some guy who kills some immigrants who happens to be a Republican and say "see!  Republicans are psychos!"

One of these can be backed up with the debate on birth control, the other is just used for a cheap political point.

Does that make any sense?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 10:02:40 am by Hard Ons About Warren »Logged

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Iceland

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:11 am »
Ignore

LOL

I'm a teenaged male. Everything is wrong with me.
Cory
YaBB God

P
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:21:04 pm »
Ignore

Also, if you were like "yeah!" you are part of the problem with political discourse in this country.

Tell me, is it lonely all the way up there mounted on your high horse? Does that armor ever get heavy?
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 12:30:49 pm »
Ignore

Tell me, is it lonely all the way up there mounted on your high horse? Does that armor ever get heavy?

NO, I hate people.
And I'm a master in "light armor", so I'm not bothered by the weight.

But thanks for your concern!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 12:34:31 pm by Hard Ons About Warren »Logged

Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 12:52:03 pm »
Ignore

This whole thread (and the "Hard ons for Warren" name) were inspired by a single post by BRTD on that Gilbert thread, yes?
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 12:55:05 pm »
Ignore

This whole thread (and the "Hard ons for Warren" name) were inspired by a single post by BRTD on that Gilbert thread, yes?

"Hard ons About Warren" was inspired by the quote in the sig.  Kevin is truly a King of Comedy and I wanted to pay tribute to him by naming myself "Hard Ons About Warren".

And this thread is inspired by the dozen or so threads over the past year or so about some crazy right winger killing somebody and then somebody on here jumping to generalizations (so yes, the Gilbert thread is inspiration to some extent).

To be fair, I believe the other side is also horrible at this.  See Sondra Fluke and George Zimmerman.  This is by all means a general observation of the entire American political debate culture, not just the left.  I, however, chose this naturally because I knew that more of youse guys would have your blood pressured raised at this title.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 01:00:15 pm by Hard Ons About Warren »Logged

ōcēlōxōchitl
a Person
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 12:55:32 pm »
Ignore

If you consider the death penalty to be murder...

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 12:57:07 pm »
Ignore

A good point.

homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:07:37 pm »
Ignore

However, there is surely a difference from saying "the GOP hates women!" and posting a story of some guy who kills some immigrants who happens to be a Republican and say "see!  Republicans are psychos!"

One of these can be backed up with the debate on birth control, the other is just used for a cheap political point.

Who decides what is a "cheap political point" and what isn't? Where is the line that separates honest and dishonest speech? Even if there is something undesirable about the latter, how could we censor or suppress it without restraining our ability to engage in honest and reasonable discourse?
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 06:21:47 pm »
Ignore

A good point.

Or capitalism.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 09:33:31 pm »
Ignore

Who decides what is a "cheap political point" and what isn't? Where is the line that separates honest and dishonest speech? Even if there is something undesirable about the latter, how could we censor or suppress it without restraining our ability to engage in honest and reasonable discourse?

My friend, when the blue hell did I ever say it should be "censored" or "suppressed"?

I'm merely being the sportsman here and making a point about dickish speech.  Just because I think that it's something assholes do, doesn't mean I support the government limiting it.
I think douchebags are intolerable, but I would freak if the government made being one illegal.
I support the right to say the word "nigger", but I don't necessarily think it's a harmless word (for example).

I, arguably more than 80% of the people here, have always believed in uncensored honest reasonable discourse.  Frankly, I'll even go as far to say that I am probably one of the most f***ing honest people on this website full of hacks.

[/Mr. Big Ego]
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 09:40:37 pm by Hard Ons About Warren »Logged

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:45 am »
Ignore

Even when it is dishonest? I would say that is a distraction to, and destructive for, a healthy democracy.

Before I read anything about the Whig War on Women, that was an obvious parody, so chill.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 08:05:56 am »
Ignore

Even when it is dishonest?

Yes, especially when it is dishonest.

My friend, when the blue hell did I ever say it should be "censored" or "suppressed"?

I'm merely being the sportsman here and making a point about dickish speech.  Just because I think that it's something assholes do, doesn't mean I support the government limiting it.
I think douchebags are intolerable, but I would freak if the government made being one illegal.
I support the right to say the word "nigger", but I don't necessarily think it's a harmless word (for example).

You never said anything about censorship or suppression. But why bring up this topic at all if your intent is not in some way to discourage those forms of speech that you find to be "dickish"? You are, after all, concerned with "the problem with political discourse in this country", which I do not believe exists.

I understand that you intended your comments as mere observations, though. But when you post them on an internet forum, rumination and rhetoric become indistinguishable from one another.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 09:15:54 am »
Ignore

You aren't funny or clever.

Keith R Laws ‏@Keith_Laws  Feb 4
As I have noted before 'paradigm shift' is an anagram of 'grasp dim faith'
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06:26 pm »
Ignore

Even when it is dishonest?

Yes, especially when it is dishonest.

I'm merely being the sportsman here and making a point about dickish speech.  Just because I think that it's something assholes do, doesn't mean I support the government limiting it.

You never said anything about censorship or suppression. But why bring up this topic at all if your intent is not in some way to discourage those forms of speech that you find to be "dickish"? You are, after all, concerned with "the problem with political discourse in this country", which I do not believe exists.

I understand that you intended your comments as mere observations, though. But when you post them on an internet forum, rumination and rhetoric become indistinguishable from one another.

Because I do intend to discourage it by bringing it up in debate so people can consider how their words are interpreted by others.

"Discourage" can be brought about by indirect methods, not merely forceful means.

And I do think it's a very big problem if political debate is rendered to merely the realms of hackery and cheap points.  In a society that respects free speech, it is up to the non-hacks (us) to remind the retards very cheap debaters that honest and reasonable people do take note of what is said.

More and more everyday, this forum is joining the rest of American Society into the Youtube Comments Generation.  This is sad.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 05:41:52 pm »
Ignore

You aren't funny or clever.

Ooh, burrrrrn...

Roll Eyes

Your Atlas experience will be 100x better if you turn signatures off. Trust me.
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 06:36:37 pm »

Locking because I'm too lazy to infract and fix all the trolling.

Mr Moderate at 54/10 is a total joke, he is a horror.

I think it is very possible that Vladimir Putin could be the Antichrist.  That is nothing more than an educated guess on my part.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout