TEABAGGERS LOVE MURDER!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:05:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  TEABAGGERS LOVE MURDER!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TEABAGGERS LOVE MURDER!  (Read 2523 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:47:01 AM »

Also, if you were like "yeah!" you are part of the problem with political discourse in this country.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 09:52:37 AM »

I don't understand this guilt-tripping about rhetoric that seems to be all the rage these last few years. Rancor is the very essence of democracy. It's counterproductive to try to force or shame people with strong and irreconcilable beliefs to try to sterilize their political language.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2012, 10:02:40 AM by Hard Ons About Warren »

I don't understand this guilt-tripping about rhetoric that seems to be all the rage these last few years. Rancor is the very essence of democracy. It's counterproductive to try to force or shame people with strong and irreconcilable beliefs to try to sterilize their political language.

Logical point.

However, there is surely a difference from saying "the GOP hates women!" and posting a story of some guy who kills some immigrants who happens to be a Republican and say "see!  Republicans are psychos!"

One of these can be backed up with the debate on birth control, the other is just used for a cheap political point.

Does that make any sense?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:11 AM »

LOL
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »

Also, if you were like "yeah!" you are part of the problem with political discourse in this country.

Tell me, is it lonely all the way up there mounted on your high horse? Does that armor ever get heavy?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 12:30:49 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2012, 12:34:31 PM by Hard Ons About Warren »

Tell me, is it lonely all the way up there mounted on your high horse? Does that armor ever get heavy?

NO, I hate people.
And I'm a master in "light armor", so I'm not bothered by the weight.

But thanks for your concern!
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »

This whole thread (and the "Hard ons for Warren" name) were inspired by a single post by BRTD on that Gilbert thread, yes?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 12:55:05 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2012, 01:00:15 PM by Hard Ons About Warren »

This whole thread (and the "Hard ons for Warren" name) were inspired by a single post by BRTD on that Gilbert thread, yes?

"Hard ons About Warren" was inspired by the quote in the sig.  Kevin is truly a King of Comedy and I wanted to pay tribute to him by naming myself "Hard Ons About Warren".

And this thread is inspired by the dozen or so threads over the past year or so about some crazy right winger killing somebody and then somebody on here jumping to generalizations (so yes, the Gilbert thread is inspiration to some extent).

To be fair, I believe the other side is also horrible at this.  See Sondra Fluke and George Zimmerman.  This is by all means a general observation of the entire American political debate culture, not just the left.  I, however, chose this naturally because I knew that more of youse guys would have your blood pressured raised at this title.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2012, 12:55:32 PM »

If you consider the death penalty to be murder...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2012, 12:57:07 PM »

If you consider the death penalty to be murder...

A good point.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 06:07:37 PM »

However, there is surely a difference from saying "the GOP hates women!" and posting a story of some guy who kills some immigrants who happens to be a Republican and say "see!  Republicans are psychos!"

One of these can be backed up with the debate on birth control, the other is just used for a cheap political point.

Who decides what is a "cheap political point" and what isn't? Where is the line that separates honest and dishonest speech? Even if there is something undesirable about the latter, how could we censor or suppress it without restraining our ability to engage in honest and reasonable discourse?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 06:21:47 PM »

Or capitalism.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2012, 09:33:31 PM »
« Edited: May 06, 2012, 09:40:37 PM by Hard Ons About Warren »

Who decides what is a "cheap political point" and what isn't? Where is the line that separates honest and dishonest speech? Even if there is something undesirable about the latter, how could we censor or suppress it without restraining our ability to engage in honest and reasonable discourse?

My friend, when the blue hell did I ever say it should be "censored" or "suppressed"?

I'm merely being the sportsman here and making a point about dickish speech.  Just because I think that it's something assholes do, doesn't mean I support the government limiting it.
I think douchebags are intolerable, but I would freak if the government made being one illegal.
I support the right to say the word "n", but I don't necessarily think it's a harmless word (for example).

I, arguably more than 80% of the people here, have always believed in uncensored honest reasonable discourse.  Frankly, I'll even go as far to say that I am probably one of the most f***ing honest people on this website full of hacks.

[/Mr. Big Ego]
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2012, 12:06:45 AM »

Even when it is dishonest? I would say that is a distraction to, and destructive for, a healthy democracy.

Before I read anything about the Whig War on Women, that was an obvious parody, so chill.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2012, 08:05:56 AM »

Yes, especially when it is dishonest.

My friend, when the blue hell did I ever say it should be "censored" or "suppressed"?

I'm merely being the sportsman here and making a point about dickish speech.  Just because I think that it's something assholes do, doesn't mean I support the government limiting it.
I think douchebags are intolerable, but I would freak if the government made being one illegal.
I support the right to say the word "n", but I don't necessarily think it's a harmless word (for example).

You never said anything about censorship or suppression. But why bring up this topic at all if your intent is not in some way to discourage those forms of speech that you find to be "dickish"? You are, after all, concerned with "the problem with political discourse in this country", which I do not believe exists.

I understand that you intended your comments as mere observations, though. But when you post them on an internet forum, rumination and rhetoric become indistinguishable from one another.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »

You aren't funny or clever.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06:26 PM »

Yes, especially when it is dishonest.

I'm merely being the sportsman here and making a point about dickish speech.  Just because I think that it's something assholes do, doesn't mean I support the government limiting it.

You never said anything about censorship or suppression. But why bring up this topic at all if your intent is not in some way to discourage those forms of speech that you find to be "dickish"? You are, after all, concerned with "the problem with political discourse in this country", which I do not believe exists.

I understand that you intended your comments as mere observations, though. But when you post them on an internet forum, rumination and rhetoric become indistinguishable from one another.

Because I do intend to discourage it by bringing it up in debate so people can consider how their words are interpreted by others.

"Discourage" can be brought about by indirect methods, not merely forceful means.

And I do think it's a very big problem if political debate is rendered to merely the realms of hackery and cheap points.  In a society that respects free speech, it is up to the non-hacks (us) to remind the retards very cheap debaters that honest and reasonable people do take note of what is said.

More and more everyday, this forum is joining the rest of American Society into the Youtube Comments Generation.  This is sad.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 05:41:52 PM »

Ooh, burrrrrn...

Roll Eyes
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 06:36:37 PM »

Locking because I'm too lazy to infract and fix all the trolling.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies