Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 29, 2014, 04:52:10 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  NE2: Northeast Healthy Skin Act of 2012 [Signed]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: NE2: Northeast Healthy Skin Act of 2012 [Signed]  (Read 1484 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 08:17:48 pm »
Ignore

Yes, a tax of $5.00 per 15 minutes would be acceptable.

It should probably read, though, a tax of $5.00 per 15 minutes, or part thereof, in order to avoid confusion.

I trust that Rep. Simfan will find this acceptable as well.

АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 08:22:27 pm »
Ignore

Introducing a second revision of my amendment, which incorporates Rep. Winfield's suggestions:

1. Tanning beds are permitted only within licensed tanning salons.
2. Only individuals of at least age 18 are permitted in licensed tanning salons.
3. Tanning salons may only admit individuals who have signed a waiver indicating that they understand relevant health risks.
4. Tanning salons are responsible for enforcing Provisions 2 & 3 of this law. Tanning salons found to be in violation will be penalized $1000 for the first offense, $2500 for the second offense, and $5000 for the third offense. Any further violations will be met with the immediate revocation of the tanning salon's license.
5. Tanning salons will collect a a tax of $5.00 per 15 minutes, or part thereof.

Rep. Winfield, please indicate whether the amendment is friendly.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 08:27:33 pm by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 08:27:50 pm »
Ignore

I would support this amendment.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2012, 08:36:39 pm »
Ignore

The amendment is friendly.

Pyrofox
PyroTheFox
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -6.43

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2012, 09:26:18 pm »
Ignore

It's possible that Rep. Pyrofox will support a higher tax, but my vote is contingent on the tax being no higher than about half of the cost of a typical session.
Ehh, I'm not entirely show how I feel about this one. Discouraging the activity through higher taxes may not be effective in itself, though having the revenue spent for cancer research is a magnificent idea. Also, I don't like the idea of forbidding those under 18 from entering the vicinity. I'd rather have the employer of the tanning salon restrict those under 16 from using the tanning beds. In addition to this, I'd increase the amount tanning salons would be penalized.

Overall, however, I like this proposal so far.
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2012, 09:33:30 pm »
Ignore

I'm glad to hear that you're mostly on board so far. An amendment including the changes that you suggest would improve this legislation, and I encourage you to introduce one.

The only change you suggest that you'll probably need to give up on is lowering the age limit. I, too, would rather use 16 as the minimum age, but Rep. Winfield doesn't seem willing to budge on this particular section of the proposed law.

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Pyrofox
PyroTheFox
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2012, 09:11:51 pm »
Ignore

Ah, I see. That's unfortunate. Well here's the legislation's third revision..

2. Only individuals of at least age 18 are permitted to use tanning beds located inside licensed tanning salons.
3. Tanning salons may only allow individuals who have signed a waiver indicating that they understand relevant health risks to use tanning beds.
4. Tanning salons are responsible for enforcing Provisions 2 & 3 of this law. Tanning salons found to be in violation will be penalized $6000 for the first offense, $8000 for the second offense, and $10,000 for the third offense. Any further violations will be met with the immediate revocation of the tanning salon's license.
5. Tanning salons will collect a tax of $5.00 per 15 minutes, or part thereof.
6. All revenue collected from this measure shall only be spent on cancer research.

Hopefully this amendment is friendly and it will receive support from you all.
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2012, 09:15:39 pm »
Ignore

Looks great, Pyro. Rep. Winfield, I hope that you can meet this amendment with approval.

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2012, 09:17:32 pm »
Ignore

$6,000 first violation on small businesses? No. That is crippling. I believe there is such thing as an honest mistake.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 09:19:54 pm by Governor Napoleon »Logged

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2012, 09:24:12 pm »
Ignore

$6,000 first violation on small businesses? No. That is crippling. I believe there is such thing as an honest mistake.

What's the highest penalty that you'd support, Governor?

Pyrofox
PyroTheFox
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2012, 09:26:11 pm »
Ignore

I believe that would be the incentive for businesses to immediately begin taking this problem seriously. It's not like upholding the safety requirements in this law are difficult to accomplish. Plus, the money would go to cancer research. I fail to see the negative side here.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2012, 09:27:48 pm »
Ignore

What's the highest penalty that you'd support, Governor?

Maybe we could "combine" the two proposals' tiers: $1000, $5000, then $10,000.

АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2012, 09:29:30 pm »
Ignore

That sounds better to me. I do agree that it's best to leave the penalty for the first offense fairly low. Pyro?

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2012, 09:30:46 pm »
Ignore

I believe that would be the incentive for businesses to immediately begin taking this problem seriously. It's not like upholding the safety requirements in this law are difficult to accomplish. Plus, the money would go to cancer research. I fail to see the negative side here.

Tanning salons are not typically large corporations. How much income do you think a tanning salon generates? We are already putting some tight regulations on them that are sure to make a dent in pocketbooks. I don't want to run businesses into the ground, these could be families that don't have much else. A first violation of $1,000 with stiffer future penalties would send a strong message.

Pyrofox
PyroTheFox
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2012, 09:35:27 pm »
Ignore

That sounds better to me. I do agree that it's best to leave the penalty for the first offense fairly low. Pyro?
If those are the highest numbers the governor approves of, then yes. However, considering tanning salon businesses would hear about this relatively quickly, I just don't have any sympathy for them not following the law. These are places making money off possibly giving people cancer, after all. I just hope a $1000 penalty is enough to make these salons take this seriously.
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2012, 09:39:53 pm »
Ignore

Tanning salons are also the kind of marginal business that often keep low-rent properties from becoming vacant. And vacant buildings, besides being eyesores, disrupt the urban fabric and serve as havens for criminal activity.

Preserving (and reviving) small-town Main Streets is one of my pet issues, and placing an undue burden on business like tanning salons, tattoo parlors, and second-hand shops will only create further strain.

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2012, 09:40:26 pm »
Ignore

If those are the highest numbers the governor approves of, then yes. However, considering tanning salon businesses would hear about this relatively quickly, I just don't have any sympathy for them not following the law. These are places making money off possibly giving people cancer, after all. I just hope a $1000 penalty is enough to make these salons take this seriously.
People using tanning salons will have acknowledged their risk of cancer upon signing the waiver. As I said, it could be a low income family run tanning salon. $6000 could mean a kid misses out on going to the college they want! I do believe in the honest mistake. Repeat offenders, those who flaunt their disregard for the law, will feel the repercussions.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 10:03:58 pm »
Ignore

As to fines, I agree with the Governor.

Since these businesses will remain operational, contrary to what I would like to have seen, they should be able to then operate as long as they operate within the confines set by legislation.

Therefore, I find it reasonable that an initial fine of $1,000 will act as a warning, a further violation with a fine $5,000 will make them take notice, and a further violation with a fine of $10,000 for the third offence, with a warning that any further violations will result in revocation of their license, should make most any business owner more apt to obey the law.   

АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 11:09:52 pm »
Ignore

Rep Winfield, just to clarify, this is how the legislation will read, assuming you accept Rep Pyrofox's other changes:

2. Only individuals of at least age 18 are permitted to use tanning beds located within licensed tanning salons.
3. Tanning salons may only admit individuals who have signed a waiver indicating that they understand the health risks involved in using a tanning bed.
4. Tanning salons are responsible for enforcing Provisions 2 & 3 of this law. Tanning salons found to be in violation of either provision will be penalized $1000 for the first offense, $5000 for the second offense, and $10,000 for the third offense. Any further violations will be met with the immediate revocation of the tanning salon's license.
5. Tanning salons will collect a a tax of $5.00 per 15 minutes, or part thereof. All revenue derived from this tax will be spent on cancer research.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 11:29:20 pm »
Ignore

Looks fine.

АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 11:31:27 pm »
Ignore

Requesting and granting a 12 hour abbreviation of debate time.

АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 11:38:59 pm »
Ignore

The Assembly will now vote on the final text of the legislation. Voting will last 24 hours.

Northeast Healthy Skin Act of 2012

2. Only individuals of at least age 18 are permitted to use tanning beds located within licensed tanning salons.
3. Tanning salons may only admit individuals who have signed a waiver indicating that they understand the health risks involved in using a tanning bed.
4. Tanning salons are responsible for enforcing Provisions 2 & 3 of this law. Tanning salons found to be in violation of either provision will be penalized $1000 for the first offense, $5000 for the second offense, and $10,000 for the third offense. Any further violations will be met with the immediate revocation of the tanning salon's license.
5. Tanning salons will collect a a tax of $5.00 per 15 minutes, or part thereof. All revenue derived from this tax will be spent on cancer research.

АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 11:40:30 pm »
Ignore

Aye

Pyrofox
PyroTheFox
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2012, 02:11:26 am »
Ignore

Aye
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God