What I Believe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 09:59:03 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  What I Believe
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What I Believe  (Read 1963 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2005, 01:58:31 AM »

The ticket is an attempt to unite Atlasia. KEmp is a right-of-center guy, and I am left-of-center. The fact that KEmp chose me was a risk alone; he risked alienating the right. However, I like to think he has made a choice that shows that he wants to run an administration not of partisan bickering, but one that includes liberals and conservatives alike.

This sounds remarkably similar to the reasoning behind the Gustaf-Supersoulty ticket of last June. Gus provided the Centre-left and Super the centre-right. In his resignation, Supersoulty said that "I never really felt a part of this administration.  Nothing against those involved, I just never felt a connection with those that I served with."

He stated that "[t]he reality is that the UAC has become everything that they were founded in order to oppose.  They brought partisanship to a new screaming high."

Those of us aged enough to remember those days know that is for the most part true; I'll put it bluntly: Non-partisanship, whilst always enterred with the best of intentions, has yet to work here.

Why do you believe it will for you and what do you believe you can learn from the mistakes of the past?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2005, 02:53:37 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2005, 03:31:22 AM by Alcon »

The ticket is an attempt to unite Atlasia. KEmp is a right-of-center guy, and I am left-of-center. The fact that KEmp chose me was a risk alone; he risked alienating the right. However, I like to think he has made a choice that shows that he wants to run an administration not of partisan bickering, but one that includes liberals and conservatives alike.

This sounds remarkably similar to the reasoning behind the Gustaf-Supersoulty ticket of last June. Gus provided the Centre-left and Super the centre-right. In his resignation, Supersoulty said that "I never really felt a part of this administration.  Nothing against those involved, I just never felt a connection with those that I served with."

He stated that "[t]he reality is that the UAC has become everything that they were founded in order to oppose.  They brought partisanship to a new screaming high."

Those of us aged enough to remember those days know that is for the most part true; I'll put it bluntly: Non-partisanship, whilst always enterred with the best of intentions, has yet to work here.

Why do you believe it will for you and what do you believe you can learn from the mistakes of the past?

Thank you for asking this question -  believe it or not, I was sort of hoping to anwer this, as hard as it is to answer.  I'll do my best to express what I know.

I do not reasonably expect any administration to function entirely on non-partisanship. I will not even bother pretending that the entire senate will suddenly say "hey, let's cooperate to make things better!" They may, but what does that mean? Nothing.

The difference between a non-partisan administration and a non-partisan ideology is different; our intent is not to remove the politics from politics, but make changes that are simple, needed, and cross party lines.

Politics is about debate, yes, and there are conflicts in every administration. However, that should not mean that we should ignore necessary changes and not take opportunities to resolve something in the most non-partisan way possible when possible.

I hope that answers the question to your satisfaction.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2005, 02:55:44 AM »

Alcon, I truly wish that you were on the top of the ticket. Wink
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2005, 03:53:25 AM »

Alcon, I truly wish that you were on the top of the ticket. Wink

Thanks, Gabu, although I am glad to be on a ticket with KEmperor - he really is a great guy, and I think he is the best leader for Atlasia.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2005, 04:20:53 AM »

You have stated a preference for practical and needed changes, presumably on the level of forum affairs.

Beyond a Constitutional Convention which you have already stated, I'd like to hear a few more ideas, because frankly, between you and Kemp, you've been rather quiet on this front. What sort of common sense proposals can we expect? (Yes I want speciifc examples)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2005, 04:24:32 AM »

KEmperor's past record isn't exactly uniting or non-partisan
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2005, 04:26:09 AM »

What exactly do you mean by that?  I have never ran any campaigns before now, nor have I debated any bills, etc.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2005, 04:29:05 AM »

Peter, at the moment, I'm barely able to type words out, so I'd rather sleep on this and give you a good, comprehensive answer tomorrow than give a stupid, generic answer now that doesn't actually address any of your concerns.

Al, if you have any specific question or example or anything of that sort, I'm willing to take a shot at it, but otherwise I'd appreciate if we kept this whole thing clear of that kind of off-comment that is impossible to reply to. I hope you'll understand.

Good night, all. Smiley
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2005, 04:30:48 AM »

What exactly do you mean by that?  I have never ran any campaigns before now, nor have I debated any bills, etc.

I'm talking about your conduct on the Supreme Court
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2005, 04:58:02 AM »

You have stated a preference for practical and needed changes, presumably on the level of forum affairs.

Beyond a Constitutional Convention which you have already stated,
...and which is already under way, and to which both I and True Dem will be delegates. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2005, 04:58:59 AM »

Lewis is a great guy, but is running on a ticket of just being liberal.
Thanks. Smiley
But where have I even called myself "liberal"?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2005, 05:06:35 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2005, 05:10:40 AM by Alcon »

Before I go to sleep - really, I'll do it eventually Wink - I want to reply to a few things here:

Lewis is a great guy, but is running on a ticket of just being liberal.
Thanks. Smiley
But where have I even called myself "liberal"?

You're welcome. Smiley

You have not, but that is really the main reason you are running. You haven't found much of an issue beyond being a leftist candidate, nor said what you bring to the table other than your agenda. It's nice to have a platform and all, but a platform is not the only thing you need to get elected. Your administration would be one of the most gridlocked in history in my eyes.

Beyond a Constitutional Convention which you have already stated,
...and which is already under way, and to which both I and True Dem will be delegates. Smiley

The Constitutional Convention was a good start and all, but we need more than just that. Again, I will get into specifics when I am better able to type "specifics" with fewer than four tries. Wink

(By the way, I'm not sure if you saw it Lewis, but the Constitutional Convention forums are now up. I don't think you've registered yet - you can find them here. Hopefully you and the remaining delegates will register soon and we'll get that off to a quick start.)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2005, 04:57:30 PM »

Beyond a Constitutional Convention which you have already stated, I'd like to hear a few more ideas, because frankly, between you and Kemp, you've been rather quiet on this front. What sort of common sense proposals can we expect? (Yes I want speciifc examples)

There's a lot of things that we hope to do here to streamline how the government works, which will hopefully result in less clog and delay in changes. This includes getting rid of unnecessary positions (i.e. Chief of Staff), streamlining the cabinet, cracking down on governmental inactivity, making sure everyone who has a position is actually doing something, and appointing a new GM.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2005, 06:26:23 PM »

The main reason for the UAC becoming so partisan was 1) everyone else hated us and did all they could to work against us and 2) most of the good candidates were in our party, to be blunt and insulting. We had little reason to vote for others.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies