Japan 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:25:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Japan 2012
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: Japan 2012  (Read 40817 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: December 02, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »

Ozawa Ichiro Appreciation Life appears to have suborned itself into Governor Kada's party for now, which surprises me a little.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #151 on: December 08, 2012, 08:42:41 PM »

Latest polls seems to show a wipeout for DPJ.  The Nihon Keizai Shimbun, based upon its own numbers, predicts the DPJ on a course to winning only aroung 80 seats while the Mainichi Shimbun, looking at the data from Kyodo, predicts the DPJ will win only around 70 seats.  Main reason as I stated before is that the anti-LDP vote will be split between many parties as opposed to being concentrated on DPJ in 2009.  I think it is now within the relem of possibility that LDP-NKP will capture a 2/3 majority of 320 seats plus.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #152 on: December 08, 2012, 08:46:24 PM »

So the LDP gets a small majority?
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #153 on: December 08, 2012, 10:14:58 PM »

NKP should get around 32 seats.  LDP will most likely get a majority on its own and even come close to matching its 2005 result of 296 seats in which case LDP+NKP will get a 2/3 majority or come very close to it.  LDP will not get the 77 PR block vote seats like in 2005 but will make it up in the FPTP seats.  There is a bold assumption I am making in my equally bold prediction.  That the undecided which is often up to 50% of the voters will either not vote or split among the various non LDP-NKP parties.

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: December 12, 2012, 04:35:19 PM »

This poll has LDP at 295 and NKP at 30.  Similar to my prediction that NKP would be 31 and that with LDP will be close to and even beyond 2/3 majority at 320.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LDP likely to win nearly 300 seats in general election
TOKYO, Dec. 13 Kyodo
The Liberal Democratic Party led by former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is continuing its strong run heading into Sunday's lower house general election and is on course to win close to 300 seats in the 480-seat chamber, a Kyodo News survey showed Wednesday.
The main opposition and its ally the New Komeito party could together secure more than 300 seats in the House of Representatives, according to the telephone survey conducted over two days through Wednesday covering around 63,200 eligible voters in 150 selected single-seat constituencies out of 300.
The projections for the remaining 150 constituencies were made based on additional information gathered by Kyodo.
The ruling Democratic Party of Japan, which swept to power in the previous lower house election in 2009 and put an end to the LDP's almost continuous rule for more than 50 years, is expected to fall far behind the LDP with only around 60 seats, compared with the current strength of 230 seats, the survey showed.
The Japan Restoration Party, one of the so-called third forces challenging the DPJ and the LDP, is expected to get less than 50 seats, according to the survey.
The party was founded by outspoken Osaka Mayor Toru Hashimoto and is currently led by former Tokyo Gov. Shintaro Ishihara, known for his hawkish diplomatic stance.
In the poll, however, 43.3 percent of the respondents said they had not yet decided on who to vote for in the single-seat constituency contests and 40.4 percent said they remained undecided
on which party to vote for in the proportional representation regional blocks, where 180 seats will be determined.
If the LDP wins as many seats as the poll suggests, Abe would return as Japan's next premier, ousting Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda who heads the DPJ.
Among other third-force parties, the newly formed Tomorrow Party of Japan led by Shiga Gov. Yukiko Kada, which is committed to phasing out atomic power plants within 10 years following the 2011 crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, is seen winning around 15 seats and Your Party a little over 10 seats, the survey showed.
Abe's party could win a total of around 295 seats or more in the single-seat electoral districts and under the proportional representation system, while its ally New Komeito is likely to win close to 30 seats, according to the survey.
The Japanese Communist Party may fail to retain its preelection strength of nine seats. The Social Democratic Party may only win one or two seats, the survey said.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #155 on: December 12, 2012, 05:52:04 PM »

So Abe gets a bigger mandate than Koizumi ever did. Ugh.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »

I do not like this election.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #157 on: December 13, 2012, 09:16:25 PM »

Haven't been following this at all, but I've just read an article which makes out Abe to be some kind've Japanese Jean-Marie Le Pen. This correct or just shoddy journalism?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/9732819/Japans-opposition-LDP-on-course-for-victory-in-general-election.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #158 on: December 13, 2012, 10:52:39 PM »

He's a nationalist, not a far-right neo-fascist. And positively dovish compared to the JRP whackos.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #159 on: December 13, 2012, 11:02:17 PM »

He's a nationalist, not a far-right neo-fascist. And positively dovish compared to the JRP whackos.

Yeah. I'm not at all fond of Abe's views but the likely outcome isn't as bad as it could be.

Having said that, though,

Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #160 on: December 13, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »

I thought Ishihara was the one people usually compared to Le Pen?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #161 on: December 13, 2012, 11:37:19 PM »

I thought Ishihara was the one people usually compared to Le Pen?

Yes, and the comparison's entirely justified there.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #162 on: December 15, 2012, 11:39:48 AM »

I was thinking what the PRC was up to when they flew a surveillance plane over the disputed islands which only helps the Hawks cause in the upcoming election tomorrow.  From a game theory point of view I think it makes sense.  What Beijing is counting on is that the basic economic balance and interests on both sides will make for a mending of releationship between PRC and Japan and the current surge toward the nationalist jingoism in Japan is mostly an election ploy.  If so then the worst case scenerio for the PRC is a Japanese middle of the road government in Japan with declining political clout and a powerful hawkish opposition pushing it into taking anti-PRC moves to avoid losing more ground.  A much better situation is a powerful and politically invulernable hawkish Japanese government which does not need to worry about its base and think more about economic costs of a poor relationship with PRC.

With this in mind this flight of a plane from the PRC makes a lot of sense as it would push the hawkish vote toward LDP-NKP helping them get to a 2/3 majority without needing the even more hawkish Ishihara and his JRP.  What the PRC wants is the piviot party being the NKP and not JRP.  One thing that is not spoken is that NKP is quite dovish when it comes to relationship with PRC but it is keeping that view quite during this election where the PRC is quite unpopular in Japan.  The LDP-NKP strategy should be to capture a 2/3 majority by lumping various voting blocks togeather and sweep the 300 FPTP seats.  The blocks are the LDP personal vote of various LDP candidate fiefdoms, the LDP nationalist vote, LDP rural vote, and NKP vote (which should be good for 8-10%) and get around 38-40% of the vote assuming the pro-DPJ reform vote does not turn out given their disappointment over the last 3 years in a low turnout election.  This latest act by PRC will further consolidate the LDP nationalist vote and I assume that was the intention of PRC in doing this.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2012, 04:20:10 PM »

When do polls close? Do we know yet of a good site to get results for those of us who don't speak Japanese (or perhaps one in Japanese with obvious color-coding)?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: December 15, 2012, 04:29:24 PM »

Follow-up question - how common are these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MCYdViBZF8
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #165 on: December 15, 2012, 07:29:20 PM »

There is a reason for this.  In Japan, individual politicians are not allowed to buy any time whatsoever for media, for TV advertising. They're not allowed to buy space in newspapers or time on the radio.  Every candidate for public office is given a certain amount of free time for his TV advertising, or radio advertising, or newspaper advertisements, but they are very restrictive in terms of what kinds of advertising he can engage in down to restrictions on whether the politician is allowed to sit or stand, use props, and other things.  The reasons for these restrictions in the Japanese election law supposedly go back to a desire to make elections fair — not to allow people who have more money to have more advantages than candidates who don't have money, to give every candidate exactly the same opportunities that every other candidate has.  Of course this does not really work becuase the candidate often have support groups which he builds up with money and delivers the votes.  So the only thing they personally can do is to run around in a van blasting out noises the what you see in Youtube below.  Sometimes it just yells out the candidates name over and over again, like "Tanaka, Tanaka, Tanaka ...."

jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #166 on: December 15, 2012, 07:33:53 PM »

None I know of.  http://www.jiji.com/jc/election?g=2012syuin&l=top is very good but that is in Japanese.  Being that I am Chinese I can read about 90% of that page when it comes to the results and I can figure out the rest.  I guess http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/ is a one place you can look for results in English but it will run behind real time.  I believe polls close 7pm which would be 7am EST which is when I plan to wake up and watch results online.

When do polls close? Do we know yet of a good site to get results for those of us who don't speak Japanese (or perhaps one in Japanese with obvious color-coding)?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #167 on: December 15, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »

Thanks!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2012, 04:03:37 AM »

Turnout was apparently 7 percentage points lower at 2 PM than it was at that time in 2009. Early vote turnout was also down (I think they said 12 million cast this time versus 13 million in 2009).
y4t7sds12
Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -1.04

« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2012, 06:31:52 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2012, 07:24:55 AM by y4t7sds12 »

Exit Polls is showing a LDP majority

LDP: 275~310 seats
NKP: 27~35 seats
DPJ: 55~77 seats
Japan Restoration: 40~61 seats
Tomorrow : 6~15 seats
Communist: 6~10 seats
Your:11~24 seats
Social Democrat:1~4 seats
People's new party: 0~1 seat
New Party DAICHI: 1~2 seats
Independents: 2~5 seats
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2012, 07:16:29 AM »

Remember there are only 480 seats in the Diet... It's rare for someone to get a majority, IIRC.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2012, 07:32:23 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2012, 07:35:34 AM by jaichind »

With 133 FPTP seats counted projected it is

LDP            110
NKP               6
DPJ               5
Future Party   1
JRP                2
Your Party      3
Independent   1

Wow.  What a wipeout.  LDP on its own might get 2/3 majority.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2012, 07:40:47 AM »

With 138 FPTP seats counted projected it is

LDP            117
NKP               7
DPJ               6
Future Party   1
JRP                2
Your Party      3
SDP               1
Independent   1

Only ray of hope for DPJ is that most of these results are from the most rural areas which are LDP fiefdoms.  No results for urban area like Tokyo where DPJ tends to be stronger.  I suspect DPJ will get wiped out in places like Tokyo as well.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2012, 07:44:43 AM »

actually NHK has more aggressive results 

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/senkyo/

They have

LDP            217
NKP             24
DPJ              33
Future Party   4
JRP              34
Your Party    11
SDP               1
NP-Daichi       1
Communist     4
Independent   2

So in addition to DPJ, Ozawa's Future Party also got wiped out.  So united they stand (DPJ and Ozawa) and divided they fall.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2012, 07:46:58 AM »

Now 244 for the LDP.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies