Romney: I'll take a lot of credit for auto industry success. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:22:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney: I'll take a lot of credit for auto industry success. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Romney: I'll take a lot of credit for auto industry success.  (Read 5208 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« on: May 08, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »

But North Carolina Yankie, the State can make any 'business model' 'succeed' or 'fail' by the legal structure in which it is allowed to function.  The only reason an 'auto company' branch of government has difficulties or thrives is due to its legally defined powers - relating to taxes, trade, control of workers, etc.  The autos were 'failing' because of policy, and its just an alteration of policy to make them 'succeed'.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 05:11:36 PM »

My statement assumes a degree of political reality. The Midwest is shrinking and at some point California, Texas and Florida would grow weary of propping up a perpetually insolvent institution either as a nationalized entity or a constantly bailed out private firm. Plus, no mainstream political figures were willing to tolerate nationalization.

Yes, of course, you're very practical within your narrow paradigm, but you're missing my point - the reason you think California, Texas, and Florida are 'propping up' Michigan and Ohio, etc, is again because they are 'succeeding' entirely due to policy.  It is the State which makes one person 'rich' - ie powerful - or one state or region favored over another.  There is no high ground here, and no one is 'to blame' except those with power - the ones who destroyed the auto industry (and the working class).

In fact what is happening is the State is propping up The Upper East Side, Hamptons, Palm Beach, etc., at the expense of everyone else.

The 'degree of political reality' you are assuming is in fact precisely the ignorance of reality on the part of most americans - and in that sense, you have your nerve on the pulse.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 02:22:57 PM »

The bailout did NOT save the companies, the bankruptcies did ! ! ! ! !

No, you have that backwards.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies