Current polling, Obama vs. Romney
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:57:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Current polling, Obama vs. Romney
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: Current polling, Obama vs. Romney  (Read 49115 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: June 26, 2012, 02:48:07 PM »
« edited: June 26, 2012, 02:53:02 PM by pbrower2a »

OR, PPP - Obama up 8. Not a blowout.
NC, Rasmussen -- Romney up 3, which is far too close for GOP comfort.

under 4%  light [20% saturation]
4.00- 9.99% medium [40% saturation]
10% dark [60% saturation]

Blue -- Romney leads in a current poll. Green -- McCain won in 2008 and no subsequent poll
Red -- Obama leads in a current poll.  Gray -- he won in 2008 and no subsequent poll*.
White -- tie (there was no exact tie in 2008).
Yellow -- I don't believe anything. This category is now dormant.

I use 4% as the dividing line because that is the usual margin of error in a credible poll.

*All states (and DC) in this category were overwhelming Obama wins in 2008 -- Delaware, DC, Hawaii, Illinois, and Rhode Island -- and they are likely to act similarly in 2012.   Gray looks infinitely better than dark shades of orange or yellow.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: June 26, 2012, 02:52:31 PM »
« Edited: June 26, 2012, 03:07:42 PM by pbrower2a »

Light blue is not a favourable colour for pbrower. You should know that.

I recently had it on Florida, Iowa, and Ohio and have it on Arizona and North Carolina. Of course, I would really love it on Texas!

...I told you that I didn't like the dark orange (60% saturation) and replaced it with gray.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2012, 01:14:39 AM »

Okay, then why isn't Virginia light blue?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2012, 01:17:10 AM »

Okay, then why isn't Virginia light blue?

Why would it be light blue, when Obama is leading ?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2012, 06:27:46 AM »
« Edited: June 27, 2012, 09:12:39 PM by pbrower2a »

Three Q polls:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/presidential-swing-states-%28fl-oh-and-pa%29/release-detail?ReleaseID=1767

Recent poor polls for the President offered by organizations that seem to be consistent R hacks in IA and MI and occasional R hacks in WI now seem out of line. It could have been a bad news cycle. Disclosures on Bain Capital refute the contention that Mitt Romney has the sort of expertise in private industry that would make him a good leader for America as a whole. It may be possible that some private-sector experience might make someone a good President, but I have yet to see what sort of experience would be relevant. Maybe "self-employed long-haul trucker" would allow one to know how the economy really works to a better extent than "corporate raider".  

Blue -- Romney leads in a current poll. Green -- McCain won in 2008 and no subsequent poll
Red -- Obama leads in a current poll.  Gray -- he won in 2008 and no subsequent poll*.
Yellow -- I don't believe anything. This category is now dormant.

I use 4% as the dividing line because that is the usual margin of error in a credible poll.

*All states (and DC) in this category were overwhelming Obama wins in 2008 -- Delaware, DC, Hawaii, Illinois, and Rhode Island -- and they are likely to act similarly in 2012.   Gray looks infinitely better than dark shades of orange or yellow.

hopper
United States

« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2012, 03:30:42 PM »

Isn't Ohio tied at 49-49% a piece per Nate Silver? What is Ohio still doing in the Ohio column? Its a pure toss-up right now.
The Vorlon
Vorlon
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -4.21

« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2012, 09:05:28 PM »

Silly Kids...

Looking at summer polls...

Presidential polling just doesn't work very well in the summer....

Wait till labor day.. Smiley
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2012, 09:20:50 PM »
« Edited: June 27, 2012, 09:22:37 PM by pbrower2a »

Rasmussen, AZ -- Romney up over 10%, in case you believe it.

PPP, MA -- Obama up at least 20% in MA  

Isn't Ohio tied at 49-49% a piece per Nate Silver? What is Ohio still doing in the Ohio column? Its a pure toss-up right now.

The most recent credible poll has President Obama up 7%... a bit high unless you believe that Romney has no chance to win a state that relies heavily on the auto industry.

Yellow -- Last poll discredited (like anything from We Ask America)

Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2012, 07:36:40 AM »

I don't get why Republicans post on this thread complaining every map update.  It's not like Pbrower is influencing the election in any way.  If you think his maps are biased, ignore the thread and check out the map listed at the polls link at the top...
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2012, 06:36:56 AM by pbrower2a »

Marist surveys: MI, NH, NC.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2012, 05:50:38 PM »

Fresh game tomorrow. No, I don't mean something recently hunted down.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #136 on: June 30, 2012, 06:35:26 AM »
« Edited: June 30, 2012, 06:38:33 AM by pbrower2a »

Alabama, Capital Surveys: Romney up 15. About as I would expect. Reversion to the mean?

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2012, 08:22:22 AM »

This source

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2012/06/poll_mitt_romney_leads_preside.html

suggests that

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A pollster for a teachers' union lobby would likely understate GOP support in a state. It still corroborates that Mitt Romney would clearly win the state, and my model does not distinguish between an 11% lead and a 70% lead. My map shows the same color saturation for Arizona and Utah -- and Arizona is going to have a result closer to that of Colorado than that of Utah.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #138 on: July 05, 2012, 09:49:50 AM »

Civitas, NC. I don't fully trust this pollster, but PPP will be polling NC this weekend, so this won't last.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2012, 01:54:56 PM »

Field, California. Obama up 18. Nothing new or surprising.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2012, 04:16:49 PM »

There was a FL poll that had Obama up 1.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2012, 06:53:06 PM »

We Ask America. Methodological problems have been identified. That's why I have Iowa in yellow -- it had President Obama up 1 in Iowa and that was an improvement (for Obama) over an earlier Rasmussen poll.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2012, 12:26:48 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2012, 03:14:52 PM by pbrower2a »

PPP, Virginia -- Obama up 8 in a binary matchup with Mitt Romney, a disaster in itself for a Republican in a State that has gone for the Democratic nominee only three times since World War II (1948, 1964, and 2008). With Virgil Goode on the ballot (I understand that he will be) President Obama beats Romney by 14%, so what I show is charitable to Mitt Romney. At this point I am doing only binary matchups.

PPP, North Carolina -- Obama up 1%. Mitt Romney must win this state firmly to have a reasonable chance. The above two states suggest that in a little less than four months from the election, President Obama is about where he was in November 2008.

...Goode would be interesting in states other than Virginia. He suggests cultural ties to the conservative-leaning parts of the Mountain South that neither Obama nor Romney has. I'm not saying that he would win any electoral votes, but I can imagine him swinging a state like Kentucky... or Georgia, Missouri, or North Carolina.

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2012, 03:21:05 PM »

Rasmussen has a virtual tie, but it is a 1% Romney lead. I trust that far more than I trust We Ask America, so it appears here. I suspect that Florida will not likely be called before states on the West Coast. 

pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »

Copious polls out today.

http://weaskamerica.com/2012/07/11/pa-nm/

Pennsylvania

Obama 47
Romney 40

New Mexico

Obama 51
Romney 40

They look about right, except that others have shredded this pollster. As it turns out that is what I already have for Pennsylvania and New Mexico so at most they would be corroboration.

(Partisan poll for Obama Super Pac)

http://www.prioritiesusaaction.org/blog/2012-07-mitt-romneys-central-qualification-becomes-a-signifi

Colorado: Obama 49 - Romney 42
Florida: Obama 48 - Romney 44
Ohio: Obama 48 - Romney 41
Pennsylvania: Obama 49 - Romney 40
Virginia: Obama 46 - Romney 43

Blatantly partisan pollster even if it basically confirms what I suspect.  If I accept this I would also have to accept polls from entities related to groups associated with the GOP, Karl Rove, or Grover Norquist.

I am not using them.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2012, 07:11:17 PM by pbrower2a »

Wisconsin, PPP:

President Obama is up 6% against Mitt Romney with a generic VP choice. He's up 1% if Romney selects Rep. Paul Ryan for VP. Until we see Mitt Romney's VP nominee I am going with the 1% margin; I think that Mitt Romney is desperate enough to try to win Wisconsin with such a choice if it is available. For that reason I am going with the Romney-Ryan margin until I see otherwise. But I am using an dagger(†) for that.

Note well that Congressional Representatives have poor records as VP nominees. Walter Mondale lost New York State with Geraldine Ferraro in 1984 (although there were only five states of 49 that Mondale lost by a larger percentage), and Jack Kemp failed to deliver New York State in 1996.  Kemp was a fine politician, really.

Whether Paul Ryan would be a good choice for swinging even Indiana, let alone Ohio, is a different question altogether.

† Wisconsin -- about a 6% margin (40% saturation) if Mitt Romney chooses anyone other than Paul Ryan. The dagger does not show up as such on the map... but something does.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee:
+  That's not a dagger.
†  That's a dagger!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #147 on: July 11, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »

[http://www.prioritiesusaaction.org/blog/2012-07-mitt-romneys-central-qualification-becomes-a-signifi

Colorado: Obama 49 - Romney 45
Florida: Obama 49 - Romney 51
Ohio: Obama 48 - Romney 44
Pennsylvania: Obama 49 - Romney 40
Virginia: Obama 46 - Romney 43

Blatantly partisan pollster even if it basically confirms what I suspect.  If I accept this I would also have to accept polls from entities related to groups associated with the GOP, Karl Rove, or Grover Norquist.

I am not using them.
[/quote]
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2012, 10:05:34 AM »

Wisconsin, Marquette Law School

President Obama is up 8% against Mitt Romney with a generic VP choice.

According to PPP
he's up 1% if Romney selects Rep. Paul Ryan for VP. Until we see Mitt Romney's VP nominee I am going with the 1% margin; I think that Mitt Romney is desperate enough to try to win Wisconsin with such a choice if it is available. For that reason I am going with the Romney-Ryan margin until I see otherwise. But I am using an dagger(†) for that.

ND, Rasmussen, Romney up 15%. No change.
FL, Rasmussen, Romney up 1%. No change.
FL, Mason-Dixon... Obama up 1% unless Romney picks Rubio, in which case it's Romney up 1%. That is a tie, and averaging this and Rasmussen gives a margin less than 1%. Tie.
NC -- Real Clear Politics shows a composite and not a poll. Not usable.  

† Wisconsin -- about a 6% margin (40% saturation) if Mitt Romney chooses anyone other than Paul Ryan. The dagger does not show up as such on the map... but something does.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »

Look's like Dave's map maker can't handle non-ASCII characters gracefully, so forget about using a proper dagger.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies