The Ascent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:32:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Ascent
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Ascent  (Read 1210 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 27, 2012, 05:02:19 PM »

Prologue:

Bill Clinton's loss in 1996 to Colin Powell, not only signaled the end of a Presidency, but the end of a marriage. For twenty-one years the Clinton's had been a partners in quest for political powers. When she married Bill and followed him to Arkansas, her own prospects for a political career dimmed. However, with his election Governor and rise on the national stage, the path to the White House became one they would seek together.

The marriage was one of business, nothing else. With Bill's philandering and constant womanizing the marriage suffered, but they remained together for the stability of their family and his political career.

Now with his political career over, Hillary came to the conclusion that so too was their marriage. His admission of another extramarital, this time with a White House intern was the icing on the cake.

"We've reached the end of the road," Hillary said to Bill one day in late December, as the First Family began the process of moving out of the White House. Clinton could only comply and both agreed that the marriage would end. Though, it was not an end as quickly as Hillary desired. "We'll need to make it look good. Can't rush into things," the soon-to-be ex-President said to Hillary. "Give us six months, a year tops."

Hillary hated the idea, but decided it would be for the best, as they did not want another scandal to arise.

Clinton bids adieu to the White House.

Hillary would remain in Washington, DC until June, while Chelsea finished up school. Back in Arkansas Clinton began work on Memoir, Hillary rejoined the Rose Law Firm, began teaching at University of Arkansas, and the two parents saw Chelsea off to college in the fall.

Hillary hated being back in Arkansas. Though she enjoyed her jobs, her own political ambitions were were stagnant. Despite his defeat to Powell, Clinton was still a popular man, and Arkansas was his home, not hers. However, she was determined to make her own name, and that journey began in 1998, when Hillary and Bill Clinton officially divorced. Hillary Clinton was once more Hillary Rodham.
RodPresident
Brazil

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -3.30

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 08:17:39 PM »

Is Hillary going back to Illinois?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 08:59:01 PM »

Awesome stuff.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »

Chapter I: On her own Terms

Hillary Rodham was frustrated. While free of Bill Clinton, she was still signaled out as Bill Clinton's wife, and even reasoned criticism for her divorcing of the former President. "Hillary's crushing defeat to Bill" one newspaper headline wrote. "Hillary's revenge", wrote another. Hillary confided in her closest advisor and friend Patti Solis Doyle about her career frustration and political ambitions.

The defeat of Bill Clinton sullied and weakened his political strength, and with her husband no longer President, there was no longer a need for her to be Mrs. Hillary Clinton. Now back to Rodham, Hillary looked to define her own name and take a step outside the media portrayal of her as a quasi-Lady Macbeth figure. She wanted to forge her own path without the help or name of her ex-husband.

"Moving back to Illinois is an option," Hillary said.
"But you haven't lived there in decades," Doyle said. "Besides you'll be called a carpetbagger if you do."

Hillary hated being in Arkansas. Though she enjoyed her own successes at the Rose Law Firm and teaching at the University, Arkansas was still Clinton country. However, Hillary sought to change that mindset. She was no longer a Clinton, and with Bill Clinton or not Arkansas was her home too.

"We'll make it work," Hillary declared. "One way or another."

Hillary kept her eyes on the political radar through 2002. In 1998 incumbent Governor Mike Huckabee scored an easy victory over his Democrat challenger. With the exception of Congressional election, no major campaigns would be on the table for the Presidential year in 2000, and Hillary eyed 2002 as the year for her to make her first entrance into the political arena.

For the Senate incumbent Tim Hutchinson would be running for reelection, and for the gubernatorial election so too would Mike Huckabee.

"I just have to pick one," Hillary said to a group of advisors in early 1999. "Just tell me what I've got to do to win."
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 02:12:12 PM »

Hillary for senate 04!  Beat Obama in the primary!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:59:48 AM »

Chapter II: Coming Home

In the fading months of 1999, Hillary rallied her closest advisor to discuss her plan.

"I'm moving back to Illinois," Hillary declared.
"Mom, that's wonderful," Chelsea added. "I'm proud of you."

Though she debated about remaining in Arkansas and forging her own path in the state she had called home since 1975, she decided it was time to leave The Natural State and return to her roots. It was time for her to go home.

The former First Lady returned to Illinois with great fanfare and intense speculation about her political aspirations. She dodged such questions at every turn. She moved into the Hyde Park Area, and took a job teaching at the University of Chicago. She also became active in the states' Democratic Party and a was a vocal supporter for Democratic nominee Bill Bradley in his ultimately unsuccessful bid against Colin Powell in 2000.

Powell/Gregg: 441 (57.9%)
Bradley/Lieberman: 97 (41.5%)

Despite the Democrat's losses in 2000, Hillary kept her presence visible and was seen by some in the party as a possible candidate in a future election. In late 2000, Clinton published her memoir simply entitled, "Living History."

The instant best seller.

The book was an enormous hit and Hillary went on a nationwide book tour, where she raised her profile even more and prompted speculation about her running for future political office. At the same time Hillary received even more satisfaction with the publishing her book. "Living History" eclipsed Bill Clinton's memoir, "My Life" easily in terms of overall book sales.

Perhaps the most interesting part in Hillary's memoir was her revelation as to why her and the former Clinton went their separate ways.

"We reached a natural parting of the ways. It wasn't that he betrayed me in any such manner after leaving the White House, our marriage simply ceased to exist. The realization that it was over has happened long before Bill made it to the White House, but for Chelsea and his own sake I stuck through it, thinking it could be rebuilt again....We are not enemies, we are still friends, and I respect and and love him for that. We raised a beautiful, intelligent daughter together, and he was a successful President..."

On the stump Hillary tried to avoid discussions of her husband's past mistakes, and remained on message. When the book tour was over and the Hillary returned to teaching at the University of Chicago, Democratic heads from Chicago came to her, wanting to know the answer to the question that was on everyone's mind: Are you going to run for public office?

Hillary smiled at the suggestion. "If it can be done,"
"There's the Governor's race in 2002, and the Senate in 2004. Both look like easy wins for us, what do you say?"

Hillary glared over at the bust of Franklin Roosevelt that sat on her office desk, then turned back to the coffee and cigarette scented party official. "I have to be realistic, the Governorship is too much too soon, but the Senate is the most likely and the most rewarding, but what about 2008?"

"What do you mean, there are no--"
"I'm talking about the White House. If I run for the Senate in '04, that give me lessen than two years of service before running...what about challenging Bobby Rush in 2002?"
"You can't be serious."

Hillary smiled. "Maybe that's too much, but what about Attorney General in '02, Senate in '04 and the White House in '08."

"Doesn't it seem premature to be thinking about the White House now, I mean Powell just won in a landslide, Gregg is going to probably run in '04 and win, why chance it?"

"Because it'll be just like what happened in '92, ironically. People will tire of Republicans by 2008, and then we win."

Hillary announces her campaign for Attorney General.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 06:30:09 PM »

Coolio
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies