NC Passes Amendment One
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:12:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NC Passes Amendment One
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: NC Passes Amendment One  (Read 8916 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2012, 09:43:59 PM »

Not that it matters, since there are studies which suggest that most of you guys are closet homos, anyway.

Does that mean 30% of NC voters are closet homos?
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2012, 09:46:05 PM »

Thank God. Maybe there's hope for this country after all.

Yup.  And we'll take our country to a time when it was great- lynchings, church burnings, beatings- hell, maybe we'll even reinstate slavery!

PROGRESS.

Yes! Keep those completely ridiculous, irrelevant comparisons coming!

Ridiculous?  Irrelevant?  Give me a break.

Come out of the closet any time.

Can you please act like an adult? He's obviously enjoying your taunting.

There isn't exactly a rational way you can deal with these types of people. Tongue

Yes! Because comparing slavery and lynchings to anti-gay marriage is TOTALLY rational!

The bigots of today aren't that different from the bigots of yesterday.  Both support restricting rights to people on account of physical traits.  I see no reason why homophobia shouldn't be compared to racism.

Not that it matters, since there are studies which suggest that most of you guys are closet homos, anyway.

So most of the approximately 61% of North Carolinians who voted in this referendum are closeted gays. Makes sense to me!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2012, 09:50:53 PM »

It passed by 60%.

Yup.  And we'll take our country to a time when it was great- lynchings, church burnings, beatings- hell, maybe we'll even reinstate slavery!

PROGRESS.

There isn't exactly a rational way you can deal with these types of people. Tongue

Yes! Because comparing slavery and lynchings to anti-gay marriage is TOTALLY rational!

The bigots of today aren't that different from the bigots of yesterday.  Both support restricting rights to people on account of physical traits.  I see no reason why homophobia shouldn't be compared to racism.

So most of the approximately 61% of North Carolinians who voted in this referendum are closeted gays. Makes sense to me!

Glad we're finally on the same page. Smiley
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2012, 09:52:15 PM »
« Edited: May 08, 2012, 09:54:30 PM by FloridaRepublican »

PROGRESS.

Glad we're finally on the same page. Smiley

Me too Smiley
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2012, 09:53:42 PM »

It passed by 60%.

You said half, so I gave the lowest possible figure to interpret your statement as reasonably as possible.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2012, 09:56:45 PM »

It passed by 60%.

You said half, so I gave the lowest possible figure to interpret your statement as reasonably as possible.

Sure, then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126957/Homophobes-attracted-sex-study-finds.html
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2012, 09:57:30 PM »

turnout was extremely heavy....the jmfcsts were out in force tonight!
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2012, 10:00:32 PM »

No, the ~60% aren't closet gays. Just human garbage.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:17 PM »

NC ban - Passes by 8-10 points in the May primary (pass more narrowly if it was in November)

Looks like I was off by about 13 points Tongue

I was hoping for better...
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:48 PM »

It passed by 60%.

Sure, then.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2126957/Homophobes-attracted-sex-study-finds.html

I've read the study before, but this doesn't match up with pretty much every other study on the percentage of the population that is homosexual.

Since popular opposition to gay marriage has collapsed over the last ten years, does this also mean the percentage of the population that are closeted homosexuals has also collapsed?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2012, 10:02:59 PM »

No, the ~60% aren't closet gays or human garbage...neither are they apostates.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2012, 10:03:15 PM »

Yep
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2012, 10:08:56 PM »

Should the Democrats move their convention to a state that doesn't constitutionally ban existing same and opposite sex domestic partnerships?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »

It passed by 60%.

Sure, then.

I've read the study before, but this doesn't match up with pretty much every other study on the percentage of the population that is homosexual.

Since popular opposition to gay marriage has collapsed over the last ten years, does this also mean the percentage of the population that are closeted homosexuals has also collapsed?

There are closet gays, bisexuals, and people who are unsure.  Someone who opposes gay rights aren't going to admit that they're gay.  But I love it when these self-righteous preachers are caught doing exactly what they said was wrong.

Also, today more homosexuals are eager to come out of the closet because of society's steady shift towards acceptance (this is why, I believe, tonight won't even matter in the next few decades or so).  Some people, regardless of their true orientation, can simply come to be more tolerant of same-sex marriage.  No, I don't believe that literally every opponent of same-sex marriage is gay, but it isn't wrong to suspect someone who holds that opinion of being gay or having gay emotions.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2012, 10:14:03 PM »

Should the Democrats move their convention to a state that doesn't constitutionally ban existing same and opposite sex domestic partnerships?

The location of the convention is part of the strategy, so I don't think the Democrats would want to move it because of this, especially since I don't believe it has fully endorsed marriage equality, yet.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2012, 10:14:35 PM »

No, the ~60% aren't closet gays or human garbage...neither are they apostates.

no, no, no, I think I'm on to something here with this human garbage business

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2012, 10:16:12 PM »

Scott, the reason I'm pressing you on this is your response to every thread about gay marriage and every post against it is to:

1. Call the other person a bigot (or some other personal insult)
2. Call them a closeted homo (thus their opinion doesn't count)
3. Post it in the Ignorant/Absurd/Bad Post Thread

And you just posted something that is totally ridiculous: that at least 30% of NC voters are closeted homosexuals.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2012, 10:18:51 PM »

They should but will not.
LOL at TJ in Closet using "homo" as a legitimate term of discussion.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2012, 10:20:49 PM »

LOL at Napoleon coming up with something to snidely attack me for
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2012, 10:25:17 PM »

Scott, the reason I'm pressing you on this is your response to every thread about gay marriage and every post against it is to:

1. Call the other person a bigot (or some other personal insult)
2. Call them a closeted homo (thus their opinion doesn't count)
3. Post it in the Ignorant/Absurd/Bad Post Thread

And you just posted something that is totally ridiculous: that at least 30% of NC voters are closeted homosexuals.

Well, what kinder word should I use to refer to people who think we should be denying equal rights to people on account of sexual orientation?  I have never, nor will I ever see why such an attitude should be seen more favorably than racism.

If 30% of NC voters did turn out to be closet homosexuals, then I honestly wouldn't be surprised.  I'm not saying it's true because of course I don't have scientific evidence to prove that that many people, in fact, are.  I'm merely pointing out that these studies suggest something... interesting.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2012, 10:27:15 PM »

As does anecdotal evidence.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »

The Kinsey study, which was conducted in the deeply-repressed* 1950s revealed that 42%(!) of men reported having sexual contact with another man to the point of orgasm.  It's fairly clear that at least partial bisexual tendencies are very common among men and that many men are deeply ashamed of that fact.  That said, the percentage of men who could be described as homosexual or homosexual-leaning bisexuals is still fairly low, probably between 5-10% including closeted ones.

*with regards to homosexuality, in general they wasn't quite as repressed as is the popular image in terms of sex.

On a related subject, as a gay man I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the whole "all you homophobes are just gay!" argument, which concerns me for two reasons:

1. By implication it accepts the homophobe's premise that being gay is an inherently bad thing.

2. It implies that the majority of gay people are closeted self-haters.

Also comparing opposing same-sex marriage to lynching is definitely excessive hyperbole and somewhat offensive.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2012, 10:28:38 PM »

November might tell a different story in Washington, Maine and Maryland. Or maybe not.

Washington and Maine -probably.

Maryland is more iffy, due to the high proportion of evangelical black voters who are otherwise stalwart Democrats. 

--------------------------

Anyone else wish to speculate? 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/politics/blog/bal-poll-shows-slim-support-for-gay-marriage-20120308,0,3650775.story

Nothing's for certain, but it's positive.  I hope that tonight's results don't create momentum for the wrong side, though.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 10:31:36 PM »

How about "gay marriage opponents"? You know, something that gives as specific, accurate, objective description possible?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »

Positively dreadfull and sickening result, I must say.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies