If Obama endorsed same sex marriage, would it help his campaign? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:44:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  If Obama endorsed same sex marriage, would it help his campaign? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Same as subject
Yes

No effect

It would hurt him

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 71

Author Topic: If Obama endorsed same sex marriage, would it help his campaign?  (Read 7166 times)
rbt48

« on: May 10, 2012, 09:32:47 PM »
« edited: May 10, 2012, 10:15:06 PM by rbt48 »

Well, up front I'll state that I'm opposed to gay marriage but that is incidental, I suppose.  

This definitely won't hurt him as much as it would have if he had come out in favor of polygamy!  As for specific states:

- He can definitely kiss off carrying North Carolina and Indiana this year.  
- Any chance he had for Missouri is out the window.  
- I suspect it will hurt his chances of keeping Ohio.  Evangelicals will come out more strongly for Romney and his support among Catholics in Toledo and northeast Ohio will suffer.
- It will strengthen him in his core states of NY, MA, VT, CA, WA, OR, perhaps CO.  
- It could hurt just enough in Iowa to cost him those 6 EVs.  

I'm troubled by why he even makes the announcement.  It's not like he can overturn DOMA or change Supreme Court opinions into mandating it as a civil right.  Don't we have enough challenges in the country that render this announcement by his holiness as being off the wall and inconsequential to the real fundamental issues we are facing?

- Get the economic recovery in gear.
- Figure out how to fund social security and medicare.
- Stop the bleeding and deaths of our troops in Afghanistan.

On balance, I view this as an attempt (and it will be hugely successful) to bring in lots of dollars from his key support base who may have been somewhat luke-warm to his campaign, to get media attention (and favorable at that since the elite liberal media now have renewed passion to spew out on the main networks and MSNBC), and take attention away from his otherwise miserable record.  

rbt48

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 10:18:43 PM »

I don't see how NC is "doable" for Obama this year.  He carried it by 14,000 votes (0.32%) in 2008 and it just voted against same-sex marriage 60 to 40. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies