Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 26, 2014, 04:51:53 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  amendment one in nc
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Poll
Question: ....
will pass by double digits   -25 (58.1%)
will pass narrowly   -15 (34.9%)
will fail by double digits   -2 (4.7%)
will fail narrowly   -1 (2.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: amendment one in nc  (Read 2140 times)
BigSkyBob
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 12:37:54 am »
Ignore

The state shouldn't be getting into the marriage business.  And where there are benefits not related to the "holy" or contractual aspects of the union (inheritance, property rights, etc) lets make it equal.  Let a church decide if it will marry someone, but let all the other stuff be equal beyond that.

Spousal immunity is the result of thousands of years of social tradition being codified into law.

You could end government issued marriage licenses, but, only if you abolish spousal immunity, or heavily regulate it [ie have the state decide whom really is, and isn't "married."]

Are you for abolishing spousal immunity?

The real scandal in Washington is not the bribery, corruption, or sex. It is how poorly we are governed.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 01:14:58 am »
Ignore

Congratulations, North Carolina!  Great to see you're satisfied being on the wrong side of history.

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
bullmoose88
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 06:41:39 am »
Ignore

Let a church decide if it will marry someone, but let all the other stuff be equal beyond that.

Jesus Christ will take care of his church.  But we're not willing to sit silently and leave the soul of America to the opinions of the apostates.

Soul of America? So if America dies can it go to heaven or hell?

Ok. I jest.

But I guess the question I really want to ask is, I take it as a given that you believe that upon your death you will go to heaven because of your belief in the death in resurrection, no? So what does it matter if no states or all 50 legalize gay marriage? Does that prevent up you or anyone else from reaching paradise if they believe in the passion? I realize that Christ may not be pleased with such a development like a bajillion other things this or any other country does but is this a deal breaker or something?

A Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative NE Republican with some Left-Libertarian/3rd Way Leanings. Simply, a Rockefeller Republican.

According to one poster, I represent a...

Dying bread of Americans.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 08:08:09 am »
Ignore

Amendment 1 is currently winning roughly 60-40.

We get to oppress gay people again!  Woo hoo!

Squee.

I'm a teenaged male. Everything is wrong with me.
memphis
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 09:32:09 am »
Ignore

Anybody have a map?

I cannot do anything good under my own power. 
I don't want my women talking to people
Governor Simfan
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2012, 09:52:38 am »
Ignore

This is unfortunate.

rwoy
View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2012, 12:40:46 pm »
Ignore

Let a church decide if it will marry someone, but let all the other stuff be equal beyond that.

Jesus Christ will take care of his church.  But we're not willing to sit silently and leave the soul of America to the opinions of the apostates.

Thank you for imposing your religious beliefs on my life.

Would you mind if I imposed the religious view of the Ethiopian Zion Coptic Church on your life?
angus
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2012, 01:01:52 pm »
Ignore

Anybody have a map?

sure, here's a map:

probably not the one you wanted though.  I did find that the NC state board of elections does have clickable county-by-county data:

http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/NC/36596/80768/en/select-county.html

Not exactly a the map you wanted, but probably more helpful than a map of the states of the Austro-Hungarian empire circa 1914.  And it's clickable!  Smiley

Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2012, 01:46:06 pm »
Ignore

The available online graphics for this were pretty terrible, so I made one that should be easy to view. The coloring is done by 10% shading with the darkest green 80-90% in favor and the darkest red 70-80% against.

"I have seen three ages in the West of the world, and many defeats, and many fruitless victories."

-Elrond in J.R. Tolkien's LOTR
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2012, 01:50:05 pm »
Ignore

Jesus Christ will take care of his church.  But we're not willing to sit silently and leave the soul of America to the opinions of the apostates.

Thank you for imposing your religious beliefs on my life.

welcome to the forum...but I am NOT imposing my religious beliefs on your life, for you are free to marry whomever you like - no cops are going to stop the ceremony or bust down your door.  Just don't ask for my proxy approval of what you do by asking for the state to condone your actions, for I do not and will not condone them.

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
Coming for to carry me home.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2012, 02:27:36 pm »
Ignore

Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2012, 03:52:52 pm »

Being unable to visit your gay partner of 30 years in the hospital because you're not a family member. Being unable to attend your gay partner's funeral because his family (who has hasn't spoken to in those same 30 years) decides you shouldn't be allowed to. Having to fight off your partner's family in court after they sue you for your partner's share of your joint assets.

It's what Jesus would have wanted, after all.

Mr Moderate at 54/10 is a total joke, he is a horror.

I think it is very possible that Vladimir Putin could be the Antichrist.  That is nothing more than an educated guess on my part.
They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 04:58:06 pm »
Ignore

The ideology of small government and individual freedom strikes again.
NY Jew
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2012, 07:00:47 pm »
Ignore

first of all there is nothing wrong with marrying your cousin.
second you can marry your "gay" cousin if they are a member of the opposite sex.

this so called "civil right" is a insult to everybody who ever fought for true civil rights.

You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 07:06:54 pm »
Ignore

second you can marry your "gay" cousin if they are a member of the opposite sex.

this so called "civil right" is a insult to everybody who ever fought for true civil rights.

You a troll? Because if you're serious, you have a genuine problem with your life.

NY Jew
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2012, 07:09:34 pm »
Ignore

You a troll? Because if you're serious, you have a genuine problem with your life.
why there would be a problem with marrying your cousin?

you think that 2 men could "marry" each other and you think I have the problem?
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2012, 07:12:38 pm »

you think that 2 men could "marry" each other and you think I have the problem?

In your state, they can! You must be so proud!

I think it is very possible that Vladimir Putin could be the Antichrist.  That is nothing more than an educated guess on my part.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2012, 07:16:34 pm »
Ignore

Some people have leap of faith religious objections to gay marriage. NYJew is one. That ends the discussion. It's just like abortion. One goes in to dissect and deconstruct when the leaps of faith are gift wrapped into some sort of secular empirical case against calling gay unions marriage, rather than legal contracts or some sort of BS, because the moniker is veritable Godzilla that will wreak societal havoc like that tsunami that hit Hokkaido after that 9 Richter quake. Then of course, one moves in for the kill, and it is like shooting fish in the barrel. Alcon clearly loves shooting fish. Tongue

Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2012, 07:20:47 pm »

Some people have leap of faith religious objections to gay marriage. NYJew is one. That ends the discussion. It's just like abortion. One goes in to dissect and deconstruct when the leaps of faith are gift wrapped into some sort of secular empirical case against calling gay unions marriage, rather than legal contracts or some sort of BS, because the moniker is veritable Godzilla that will wreak societal havoc like that tsunami that hit Hokkaido after that 9 Richter quake. Then of course, one moves in for the kill, and it is like shooting fish in the barrel. Alcon clearly loves shooting fish. Tongue

Oh, you and your common sense!

Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2012, 04:31:05 pm »
Ignore

It's true!  I hate fish so much.

n/c
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2012, 02:11:24 pm »
Ignore

Quote from: Governor Bev Perdue
People around the country are watching us and they're really confused to have been such a progressive forward thinking economically driven state that invested in education and that stood up for the civil rights people including the civil rights marches back in the 50's and 60's and 70's.  People are saying what in the world is going on with North Carolina; we look like Mississippi.

Fully agree, but LOL nonetheless.

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout