Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2014, 08:38:35 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Obama endorses gay marriage.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Obama endorses gay marriage.  (Read 2982 times)
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2012, 02:13:05 pm »
Ignore

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/politics/2012/05/will-obama-finally-endorse-gay-marriage-abc-news/52110/

“It’s interesting, some of this is also generational,” the president continued. “You know when I go to college campuses, sometimes I talk to college Republicans who think that I have terrible policies on the economy, on foreign policy, but are very clear that when it comes to same sex equality or, you know, sexual orientation that they believe in equality. They are much more comfortable with it.

You know, Malia and Sasha, they have friends whose parents are same-sex couples. There have been times where Michelle and I have been sitting around the dinner table and we’re talking about their friends and their parents and Malia and Sasha, it wouldn’t dawn on them that somehow their friends’ parents would be treated differently. It doesn’t make sense to them and frankly, that’s the kind of thing that prompts a change in perspective.”

Of course, polls showed that large majorities of Americans thought Obama support gay marriage anyway, so I doubt the political impact's as major as some were expecting - either positive or negative. Smiley

Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:19:52 pm »
Ignore

That's not really an endorsement.  Just some waffling about how the younger generation has no problem with it.

Real America demands to know.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:21:10 pm »
Ignore

The NEW! fully "evolved" Barack Obama!

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:21:18 pm »
Ignore

That's not really an endorsement.  Just some waffling about how the younger generation has no problem with it.

The full quote's in the link, but the most relevant part is "I think same-sex couples should be able to get married". Tongue

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 02:27:45 pm »
Ignore

To be honest, I find it both weak and opportunist. Supporters of gay marriage should be hurt, as I am, that Obama came "a day late and a dollar short", quite literally, in the effort to advance the cause, most recently after the defeat in North Carolina. Now, he is only no longer to the right of Dick Cheney. Is this the "audacity" and "change" we were promised?

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -8.17

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:28 pm »
Ignore

To be honest, I find it both weak and opportunist. Supporters of gay marriage should be hurt, as I am, that Obama came "a day late and a dollar short", quite literally, in the effort to advance the cause, most recently after the defeat in North Carolina. Now, he is only no longer to the right of Dick Cheney. Is this the "audacity" and "change" we were promised?

I'm fine with his decision. I understand how politically difficult it was for him and perhaps personally too. Better late than never is always fine by me. Romney however makes me feel a little sick given that he's trying to pretend he opposes it.

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 02:34:26 pm »
Ignore

Disgusting, but it's to be expected.

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 02:37:07 pm »
Ignore

I'm fine with his decision. I understand how politically difficult it was for him and perhaps personally too. Better late than never is always fine by me. Romney however makes me feel a little sick given that he's trying to pretend he opposes it.

But isn't making risky and bold decisions what leadership is all about? He should have come out two days ago.

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 02:38:02 pm »
Ignore

About damn time.

Frankly, given his image, I don't see how endorsing gay marriage would've had a damn on his ratings.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:40:32 pm by Intellectual Extremist »Logged

23:19   Xahar   you're literally a white dude Mechaman
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 02:49:21 pm »
Ignore

About damn time.

Frankly, given his image, I don't see how endorsing gay marriage would've had a damn on his ratings.

Exactly.

Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 03:30:13 pm »
Ignore

I was just going to get irritated by your rote spamming, but I just checked out your recent post history, and concluded you probably don't care one way or another.

n/c
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 03:40:15 pm »
Ignore

Masterful.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 03:42:25 pm »
Ignore

What makes you think that Obama was genuine in opposing it and Romney isn't? 

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 04:12:04 pm »
Ignore

I never said that. Obama has privately supported gay marriage for a long time. I have no idea what Romney thinks other than he tries to pretend he's went into reverse, alongside everything else he used to believe in.

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 04:13:39 pm »
Ignore

Never change, FOX.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 04:26:20 pm »
Ignore

I never said that. Obama has privately supported gay marriage for a long time. I have no idea what Romney thinks other than he tries to pretend he's went into reverse, alongside everything else he used to believe in.

Obama also supported gay marriage before he was against it before he was for it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/13/obama-once-supported-same_n_157656.html

Really, he's no better than Romney here.

Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2012, 04:29:19 pm »

Except in the sense that Obama's of the opinion that all Americans deserve equal rights, and Romney believes the opposite.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2012, 04:30:15 pm »
Ignore

Except in the sense that Obama's of the opinion that all Americans deserve equal rights, and Romney believes the opposite.

I'm talking about switching positions. That's obstinacy.

Gravis Marketing
brittain33
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2012, 04:30:44 pm »
Ignore

Obama handled this well.

Today, the headline is "Obama endorses gay marriage," not NC.

If he'd come out two days earlier, it would have been "Amendment 1 wins by landslide despite Obama's announcement."

I'm much happier with the first one.
Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 04:37:02 pm »

I'm talking about switching positions. That's obstinacy.

There is not a single politician alive who has not switched positions on something at some point. Flexibility is no vice.

morays or demon
Ghost_white
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 04:37:14 pm »
Ignore

The NEW! fully "evolved" Barack Obama!
that may have been my favorite obama moment. even better that he kept up his opposition for so long after it became known he had supported it before. i guess he devolved at some point?

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2012, 04:40:54 pm »
Ignore

So when Romney pretends not to support it, it makes you sick, but when Obama pretended not to support it that wasn't so bad?

afleitch
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 04:44:05 pm »
Ignore

So when Romney pretends not to support it, it makes you sick, but when Obama pretended not to support it that wasn't so bad?

Let me draw you a diagram

America ------------------------------------------------> Gay Marriage
Obama -------------------------------------------------> Gay Marriage
Romney <------------------------------------------------ Gay Marriage

morays or demon
Ghost_white
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 04:45:39 pm »
Ignore

you can't seriously believe that.

That has got to be one of the most retarded proposals I have read on this forum.

Don't worry, I'm sure more will crop up shortly.
Princess Kenny
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2012, 04:46:28 pm »
Ignore

Care to actually elaborate?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout