Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 10:31:42 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Obama endorses gay marriage.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Obama endorses gay marriage.  (Read 2936 times)
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2012, 09:45:40 pm »
Ignore

Dick Cheney declaring his support for this was almost as significant as Obama doing so, imo.
Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2012, 10:19:52 pm »
Ignore

Right NY Jew...they oppose "immoral, perverted behavior" but defeated a vote to disallow the "immoral perverts" to have domestic partnership rights.  A lot of people are ambivalent about the gay marriage issue -- as a public policy matter, that's unfathomable to me, but whatever -- but your specific issue has been out of the mainstream for years.  Best of luck.

I think the latest polling was 50-48, so it's not mainstream.

It will cost Obama a few states, NC, maybe VA and OH.

Hardly extreme either...

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2012, 10:20:45 pm »
Ignore

Right NY Jew...they oppose "immoral, perverted behavior" but defeated a vote to disallow the "immoral perverts" to have domestic partnership rights.  A lot of people are ambivalent about the gay marriage issue -- as a public policy matter, that's unfathomable to me, but whatever -- but your specific issue has been out of the mainstream for years.  Best of luck.

VA is actually safe Obama after this move. Mittens needs to raise the states and flip WI or PA now if he wants to win. Both of these are very unlikely.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2012, 10:26:49 pm »
Ignore

VA is actually safe Obama after this move.

How so?  Isn't Virginia still an anti-gay state?
asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2012, 10:29:41 pm »
Ignore

The parts of Virginia that Obama needs to do well in to win are I think generally perceived as economically kind of squishy but socially liberal. Somebody feel free to correct me if this is a misconception on my part.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2012, 10:32:49 pm »
Ignore

Seems questionable to me too, but it a matter of counting the noses that will flip. Many blacks who loathe gays and think they should be burned at the stake, to put it hyperbolically, will vote for Obama anyway. So maybe a case could be made. It would take quite a bit of work however. And oh, conversely, I'm not a potential Obama vote this time, even if he announces he's gay himself, going the other way. So some of those Reston folks who say thanks, what took you so long, won't be changing their vote either.
Carlos Danger
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2012, 10:33:15 pm »
Ignore

How so?  Isn't Virginia still an anti-gay state?

Uh yeah, last poll I saw was like 2-1 against.  A bunch of liberals on this site have the bizarre impression that Virginia is the new Connecticut, however.

(A state's views on gay marriage is essentially a function of the number of white liberals, which VA still lags pretty far behind on).

Fmr. President & Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2012, 10:38:04 pm »
Ignore

Seems questionable to me too, but it a matter of counting the noses that will flip. Many blacks who loathe gays and think they should be burned at the stake, to put it hyperbolically, will vote for Obama anyway. So maybe a case could be made. It would take quite a bit of work however. And oh, conversely, I'm not a potential Obama vote this time, even if he announces he's gay himself, going the other way. So some of those Reston folks who say thanks, what took you so long, won't be changing their vote either.

The issue isn't whether or not VA is pro or anti-gay... the issue is a) whether it's enough to stop them voting for Obama (if that was their intention) b) will support be strong enough in places to counter the likely drop off in others.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Nhoj
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2012, 11:45:18 pm »
Ignore

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=2006&off=50&elect=0&fips=51&f=0
This was six years ago, I guess its wording is pretty similar to NCs?

آزادی برای ایران

Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 01:16:29 am »
Ignore

For those wondering if this was a response to a Biden gaffe or a planned event, the way Obama has handled this via social media would suggest the latter.  The endorsement is being proudly displayed on his Facebook page, and his campaign sends out the following email:

Today, I was asked a direct question and gave a direct answer:

I believe that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I hope you'll take a moment to watch the conversation, consider it, and weigh in yourself on behalf of marriage equality:

http://my.barackobama.com/Marriage

I've always believed that gay and lesbian Americans should be treated fairly and equally. I was reluctant to use the term marriage because of the very powerful traditions it evokes. And I thought civil union laws that conferred legal rights upon gay and lesbian couples were a solution.

But over the course of several years I've talked to friends and family about this. I've thought about members of my staff in long-term, committed, same-sex relationships who are raising kids together. Through our efforts to end the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy, I've gotten to know some of the gay and lesbian troops who are serving our country with honor and distinction.

What I've come to realize is that for loving, same-sex couples, the denial of marriage equality means that, in their eyes and the eyes of their children, they are still considered less than full citizens.

Even at my own dinner table, when I look at Sasha and Malia, who have friends whose parents are same-sex couples, I know it wouldn't dawn on them that their friends' parents should be treated differently.

So I decided it was time to affirm my personal belief that same-sex couples should be allowed to marry.

I respect the beliefs of others, and the right of religious institutions to act in accordance with their own doctrines. But I believe that in the eyes of the law, all Americans should be treated equally. And where states enact same-sex marriage, no federal act should invalidate them.

...anyone who says our society must force people to expose themselves to those of the opposite sexual orientation, is not decent.

So you mean if we force the gay to be exposed to the straight, we are treating the gay indecently?  Because you didn't specify which direction the hate was supposed to go there, Black Beans.
Ebowed
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -8.32, S: -9.30

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2012, 01:23:14 am »
Ignore

Rep. Bill Taylor's (R-SC) Twitter page suggested 'Pink smoke seen coming from White House chimney.' (via HuffPost) although the comment seems to be missing from his page now.  Otherwise, there seems to have been very little appetite for bigotry amongst the responses being offered by Republican politicians.

Anyway, it's almost certainly going to be in the Democratic platform, even Harry Reid has endorsed it now.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:28:46 am by Ebowed »Logged

...anyone who says our society must force people to expose themselves to those of the opposite sexual orientation, is not decent.

So you mean if we force the gay to be exposed to the straight, we are treating the gay indecently?  Because you didn't specify which direction the hate was supposed to go there, Black Beans.
shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2012, 01:29:00 am »
Ignore

How so?  Isn't Virginia still an anti-gay state?

Uh yeah, last poll I saw was like 2-1 against.  A bunch of liberals on this site have the bizarre impression that Virginia is the new Connecticut, however.

(A state's views on gay marriage is essentially a function of the number of white liberals, which VA still lags pretty far behind on).
here's the referendum from 2006 that won 57%.

considering both that it banned civil unions, and that there has been in all likelihood a move toward greater acceptance of gay marriage since then, I'd say its probably in the range of 3:2 against among those who have an opinion on the matter (which a lot of people who vote in presidential elections probably don't).

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2012, 01:40:28 am »
Ignore

Recent polls have had gay marriage supported by around a 50-45 margin. Obama is with the 50%.
Recent polls have had civil unions supported by around a 60-40 margin. Romney is with the 40%.
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2012, 02:28:57 am »
Ignore

Right NY Jew...they oppose "immoral, perverted behavior" but defeated a vote to disallow the "immoral perverts" to have domestic partnership rights.  A lot of people are ambivalent about the gay marriage issue -- as a public policy matter, that's unfathomable to me, but whatever -- but your specific issue has been out of the mainstream for years.  Best of luck.

On domestic partnerships?  Unlikely...read my post more closely.

n/c
Herman Cain's Gold Chain
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2012, 02:45:28 am »
Ignore

Saving this so I can make fun of you in November.

(Part of the 2012 Election Throwback Series)
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2012, 04:17:15 am »
Ignore

For those wondering if this was a response to a Biden gaffe or a planned event, the way Obama has handled this via social media would suggest the latter.  The endorsement is being proudly displayed on his Facebook page, and his campaign sends out the following email:

All of the background info being fed to reporters indicates that Obama was planning on announcing his new position in the weeks leading up to the Democratic National Convention, but that the Biden gaffe forced them to move up the timing.....and the Obama people are now ticked off at Biden, which is why they're leaking:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76103.html

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0512/76140.html

Senior administration officials admit that Biden’s comment was, indeed, the catalyst for Obama to make his historic announcement weeks earlier than planned.

But Biden’s remarks on “Meet the Press” deeply annoyed Obama’s team, people close to the situation tell POLITICO, because it aggrandized his role at the expense of Obama’s yeoman efforts on behalf of the community and pushed up the timing of a sensitive announcement they had hoped to break — at a time and place of their own choosing — in the weeks leading up to the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte this fall.

Nor did it tickle anyone, from Obama on down, that Biden — who backed the Defense of Marriage Act while serving in the Senate in the 1990s — seemed to be getting more credit in the LGBT community than a president who has actually taken steps to repeal the Clinton-era law that defined marriage as something that could only take place between a man and a woman.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Thank You, Jon Lester
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.55, S: -7.91

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2012, 08:54:15 am »
Ignore

http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/state.php?year=2006&off=50&elect=0&fips=51&f=0
This was six years ago, I guess its wording is pretty similar to NCs?

Jesus.

They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2012, 10:31:06 am »
Ignore

Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2012, 02:19:55 pm »

For those wondering if this was a response to a Biden gaffe or a planned event, the way Obama has handled this via social media would suggest the latter.  The endorsement is being proudly displayed on his Facebook page, and his campaign sends out the following email:

Obama's messy, disasterous pressers between the Biden gaffe and the eventual announcement of support for gay marriage suggest anything but a planned event. He looked like a f***ing fool.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 01:49:27 pm by Badger »Logged

RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
YaBB God
Czech Republic

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2012, 03:41:51 pm »
Ignore

About how it's disgusting or about how it's to be expected?

I don't think I need to elaborate on how it was to be expected; I'm sure everyone on this forum knew it was coming. As far as the former, I think you know that as well (why I think it's disgusting).

Clearly the solution is to privatize presidential elections.

So, in less than four years, get excited for the 2016 MetLife Financial U Pick The Prez Extravaganza. If you tweet a picture of your completed ballot with the hashtag #ivoted, you could win a trip for two to the inauguration or an iTunes gift card.
Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2012, 03:43:56 pm »
Ignore

About how it's disgusting or about how it's to be expected?

I don't think I need to elaborate on how it was to be expected; I'm sure everyone on this forum knew it was coming. As far as the former, I think you know that as well (why I think it's disgusting).

But we would like to engage you in an exchange on it where you write more than three sentences, so go ahead and elaborate!

n/c
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2012, 10:55:18 pm »
Ignore

As a Mormon who's fine with gay marriage, I find it amazing that Harry Reid found the courage to say he's okay with it. I mean, Obama saying it first helped, but still very risky of Reid to say it.
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2012, 11:15:07 pm »
Ignore

Amusing; at least three Democrats (Biden, Cuomo, O'Malley) have now placed the gay marriage issue into their arsenal which they intend to use to jockey for 2016. Kirsten Gillibrand also used it as a career-booster, and has been mentioned as a possible 2016 contender as well, although less than the other two New Yorkers. I guess this must be low-hanging fruit for Dems who aren't in red states.

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 11:21:17 pm »
Ignore

Amusing; at least three Democrats (Biden, Cuomo, O'Malley) have now placed the gay marriage issue into their arsenal which they intend to use to jockey for 2016. Kirsten Gillibrand also used it as a career-booster, and has been mentioned as a possible 2016 contender as well, although less than the other two New Yorkers. I guess this must be low-hanging fruit for Dems who aren't in red states.
In before Schweitzer endorses gay marriage?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2012, 11:21:24 pm »
Ignore

I don't see how the 2016 nominee wouldn't support gay marriage. Hillary or Schweitzer or other 2016 possibilities would presumably come out in support before they run (if they run). It should be easy for Hillary, her husband already supports it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout