Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:36:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9
Author Topic: Obama Backs Gay Marriage!  (Read 32903 times)
Vern
vern1988
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.30, S: -0.70

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: May 10, 2012, 01:19:56 PM »

I work at McDonald's. Sorry that my grammar was off. I was in a hurry and didn't read over what I wrote.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #176 on: May 10, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »

Moral issues trump racial identity. This will bite Obama in the hindquarters amongst AA's and Latinos for sure. He just lost Indiana, West Virginia, made his life harder in Virginia, North Carolina, and possibly Ohio, Colorado, Missouri, and Florida.

Racial identity? You do realize its the Republicans who have going on a racist/xenophobic crusade in places like Arizona and Alabama? It will be fun to watch you guys get punished.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #177 on: May 10, 2012, 03:20:21 PM »

Moral issues trump racial identity. This will bite Obama in the hindquarters amongst AA's and Latinos for sure. He just lost Indiana, West Virginia, made his life harder in Virginia, North Carolina, and possibly Ohio, Colorado, Missouri, and Florida.

Racial identity? You do realize its the Republicans who have going on a racist/xenophobic crusade in places like Arizona and Alabama? It will be fun to watch you guys get punished.

This is the same party, keep in mind, that talks about "Chicago thugs" and "illegals taking our jobs".
rwoy
« Reply #178 on: May 10, 2012, 03:43:35 PM »

While you me be correct about this making Obama's life tougher in the election, it is THE RIGHT thing to do.

Churchill said it best when he described the difference between a politician and a statesman.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #179 on: May 10, 2012, 04:49:14 PM »

Quick question: Does anybody have polling on the level of support for gay marriage in North Carolina prior to their recent vote against gay marriage? I am curious if the public polling strongly mirrors the private votes.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #180 on: May 10, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »

Quick question: Does anybody have polling on the level of support for gay marriage in North Carolina prior to their recent vote against gay marriage? I am curious if the public polling strongly mirrors the private votes.

PPP had it underwater 34%-57% in their most recent poll of the legal/illegal question.
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #181 on: May 10, 2012, 04:57:40 PM »

PPP had it underwater 34%-57% in their most recent poll of the legal/illegal question.

So a pretty close fit. Thanks.

I'd rather gay marriage not become political football again, like it was in 2004, but then again I support Obama's position. However, he should have come out in favor of this two or three years ago. He's politicized it, and it's a bit unseemly for a president, really, just like it was when Bush pulled this stunt eight years ago, albeit in the opposite direction.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #182 on: May 10, 2012, 06:34:04 PM »

In a way, if he had come out with this just before the convention, it would have politicized it more than it will now. The backlash could have been stronger against him. I think in the end the timing worked out well for Obama, thanks to Biden's gaffe prone mouth. Tongue
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #183 on: May 10, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »

And you know all about that as a member of which minority?

The Cherokee

Those laws are not racist/xenophobic

"WHITE'S ARE A RACIAL MINORITY IN THIS COUNTRY THESE DAYS, WHY ISN'T THERE A WHITE HISTORY MONTH, WHY CAN'T I BE PROUD OF MY HERITAGE BY FLYING THIS FLAG FLOWN BY SLAVERY DEFENDERS??!?" - JCL probably.

I would've sided with King and the Civil Rights movement back in the 1960's and he'd be siding with me now on marriage. Conservatives were the ones fighting for the rights of all Americans regardless of race, creed color, or national origin. The left in this country is more infected with racism because of men like Woodrow Wilson. Men like Coolidge, a conservative Republican, spearheaded laws to give full citizen rights to Native Americans and wanted to extend them to African Americans but it was the left who stopped him from doing so. Ones sexual orientation is not an intrinsic difference like race, creed, religion, national origin or color and the cultural norm as it has been since God had Adam take a nap and from his rib made Eve one married someone of the opposite gender. Allowing this manner of marriage was unthinkable to the Founders and the other greats of antiquity.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #184 on: May 10, 2012, 07:26:45 PM »

LOL at our founders having firm opinions regarding gay marriage.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #185 on: May 10, 2012, 07:36:11 PM »

This election will be fought, won, and lost on the economy, not gay marriage.
milhouse24
« Reply #186 on: May 10, 2012, 09:19:31 PM »

Obama has fooled Liberals once again!

Obama has made another empty promise and campaign rhetoric. 

Obama has lied about supporting Federal Gay Marriage.

Obama claims that he only supports gay marriage in the states rights. 

Obama thinks that gay activists and college students are dumb enough to fall for campaign issues that he has no political control.  Gay marriage is decided by the supreme court, not by the president. 

If obama really did support Federal gay marriage, he should pass the law immediately instead of waiting until 2013. 

This is just a simple money grab for Donations and a way to manipulate the liberal media into cheerleading for Obama's re-election, even though most people in the media realize that its a false mandate. 

One of the major issues of federal gay marriage is Green Card citizenship, which is a component of Homeland Security.  There is no way Homeland security will ever support gay marriage as a means to american citizenship.  It will be the mega millions lottery for the entire country of mexico. 
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #187 on: May 10, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »

[/quote]

That's not up to you to decide but rather those who would be affected by it. It's easy as hell for you as a white guy to not care much about it but Latinos and Asians are the ones who would be stopped just because some racist cop has a "reasonable suspicion" they are in this country illegally.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #188 on: May 10, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »

The Log Cabin Republicans attacking Obama for declaring he supports gay marriage the day after Amendment One passed is total fail. Go vote for Romney who doesn't support civil unions, you losers.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #189 on: May 10, 2012, 11:32:20 PM »

I would've sided with King and the Civil Rights movement back in the 1960's and he'd be siding with me now on marriage.

Perhaps you'd like to hear what Coretta Scott King has to say about the subject?  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I reckon she knew more about what he'd think than you do...
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #190 on: May 10, 2012, 11:36:11 PM »

If obama really did support Federal gay marriage, he should pass the law immediately instead of waiting until 2013.   

You do realize that Obama is not a dictator able to make laws on his own, don't you?

You do realize that there is no way a repeal of DOMA would pass the House or escape the filibuster in the Senate right now?  (Even without the filibuster, DOMA repeal would be problematic in the Senate.)
Peeperkorn
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 0.65, S: -6.78

« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2012, 10:38:43 AM »

Oh, now the mormen won't vote for him.
milhouse24
« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2012, 12:44:37 PM »

I cannot believe that Gay Activists and Obama do not support polygamy.  What a bunch of hypocrites! 

If Gay Activists really support marriage freedom, they would also support polygamy.

At least Romney supports polygamy, its time for Obama and Gay activists to step up. 

There are literally thousands of children who suffer from divorced families.  Polygamy will help alleviate the suffering that these children have with single moms and absentee fathers.  Polygamy is actually beneficial for children because there are larger families to offer support. 
Politico
YaBB God
« Reply #193 on: May 11, 2012, 06:20:24 PM »

Not true.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is actually interesting.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #194 on: May 11, 2012, 07:39:46 PM »

That's not up to you to decide but rather those who would be affected by it. It's easy as hell for you as a white guy to not care much about it but Latinos and Asians are the ones who would be stopped just because some racist cop has a "reasonable suspicion" they are in this country illegally.
[/quote]

Is the AZ law in actual operation yet?  Maybe we should see how it works in practice, before assuming that it will become suspect to be driving while brown.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #195 on: May 11, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2012, 09:53:35 PM by Senator Sbane »

Wasn't it basically neutered by the courts?

Really immigration status should only be questioned while entering the country or when getting a job. Also if you have been convicted of a crime. Having people carry their immigration documention with them all the time is not a good idea at all. Things like that should be kept in safe keeping like your house. If you dont have a drivers license (which is not enough if you got it from NM, UT or WA) you would have to carry that with you to comply with this law. And it would also authorize your arrest without a warrant if you don't have it at any point. And of course only non-whites would ever be asked for it. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #196 on: May 11, 2012, 10:01:15 PM »

Oh boy. I read one page of this thread and see someone assuming Martin Luther King Jr.'s position on same-sex marriage, the same person using the founding fathers to justify his crappy position, and a troll using polygamy as bait. At least reading Coretta Scott King's quotes were lovely.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #197 on: May 12, 2012, 09:48:02 AM »

There is no way Homeland security will ever support gay marriage as a means to american citizenship.

So you are saying that the Cabinet-level Department of Homeland Security will defy the President of the United States by opposing his policy position?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #198 on: May 12, 2012, 12:08:01 PM »

Is the AZ law in actual operation yet?  Maybe we should see how it works in practice, before assuming that it will become suspect to be driving while brown.

In Maricopa County, which is far and away the largest jurisdiction in AZ, the sheriff already profiles heavily and abuses Latinos who are legal residents or citizens. Check out the recent report/indictment. This law, if cleared, would remove some of the few obstacles not currently being observed to preventing him from abusing minorities. It would require a massive change of his m.o. of the past 20 years for him not to profile.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #199 on: May 12, 2012, 01:46:04 PM »

Oh boy. I read one page of this thread and see someone assuming Martin Luther King Jr.'s position on same-sex marriage, the same person using the founding fathers to justify his crappy position, and a troll using polygamy as bait. At least reading Coretta Scott King's quotes were lovely.

Well said, well said.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies