Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 30, 2014, 12:53:17 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print
Author Topic: Obama Backs Gay Marriage!  (Read 8491 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 09, 2012, 07:10:29 pm »
Ignore

Wonderful Smiley

Romney's 180 turn on this will make for an interesting topic come the debates.
I don't think he's turning anymore; I think he's just become an amorphous blob:

Moderator: Do you support gay marriage?

Obama: Yes.

Romney: Well, um, uh, well, I, um, certainly support the, um, gay and lesbian, um, well...I'd like to pass on this one, Bob.

Moderator: President Obama, why did you change your opinion on gay marriage?

Obama: Well-uh-I-uh-where's my teleprompter?

Romney: Flip-flopping on gay marriage isn't going to help the economy.

Did Obama go to pieces like that, ever, during the debates with McCain?

Mitt Romney: "Oh... uh... um... aha... of course I like the gays. I'm a Moremen [sic]."

Holmes
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 09, 2012, 07:20:37 pm »
Ignore

we can exploit Obama as the radical, something the McCain campaign was reluctant to do.

I remember things quite differently than you do. Then again, I think you remember a lot of things quite differently than how they really happened.

morgieb
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 09, 2012, 07:24:08 pm »
Ignore

Very surprised he did it around the election and not during his second term.

Good choice.
Holmes
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 09, 2012, 07:25:34 pm »
Ignore

Notice how the opposition grew when President George Walker Bush made it a campaign issue in 2004. We have to do that again. I'm telling ya...if we run from social issues, we lose. If we stand our ground, we win.

Honey, that was after the Massachusetts Supreme Court decision, and thus is was already an issue during the 2004 election. Something won't be an issue during an election unless it's happening. You can't make something out of nothing.

Former Moderate
Mr. Moderate
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 09, 2012, 07:27:47 pm »
Ignore

Notice how the opposition grew when President George Walker Bush made it a campaign issue in 2004. We have to do that again. I'm telling ya...if we run from social issues, we lose. If we stand our ground, we win.

One cannot read this without thinking about George Wallace and his true believers thinking, "we can turn the tide! We just need to press the issue harder!"

Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 09, 2012, 07:35:27 pm »
Ignore

we can exploit Obama as the radical, something the McCain campaign was reluctant to do.

I remember things quite differently than you do. Then again, I think you remember a lot of things quite differently than how they really happened.

Since Naso pines for a period in history he didn't even live through... yeah.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 09, 2012, 08:01:05 pm »
Ignore

About time.

I like that Obama's finally growing balls.

Too bad he punted on the ENDA-ish executive order though I suppose we'll probably see it sometime in his second term (assuming he wins) as Republicans won't be taking it up in the House anytime soon

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2012/04/12/obama_and_lgbt_discrimination_executive_order_refused_.html

In a high-profile meeting yesterday afternoon, top aides of President Obama* informed a group of lobbyists and advocates that his administration would not issue an executive order banning discrimination against LGBT people who work for federal contractors. Obama had campaigned in support of such an order back in 2008, but, according to meeting attendee and Center for American Progress executive vice president Winnie Stachelberg, the White House now espouses a “multipronged effort to better address workplace discrimination against gay and transgender Americans.”

Whatever that means.

To be fair, the administration also affirmed its support for the more comprehensive ENDA (Employment Non-Discrimination Act), a bill that would prohibit hiring and employment discrimination on the basis of sexual or gender identity. But ENDA has been bouncing around Congress since 1994, and given the current toxicity of the congressional environment, its sudden passage does not seem likely. Which is why most people pushing for the executive order, including some of the president's own party colleagues, saw it as a natural step along the way—and a rather large one at that, given that around 16 million workers would be covered according to some estimates—to something better. 
ajb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2012, 08:09:19 pm »
Ignore

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Thanks for bringing this up. Yes, the Republicans could have exploited this issue to get more support with working class Hispanics but then you guys f'ed up with the AZ immigration law and similar laws that have been passed by Republicans across the country. Gays marrying will be less of an issue for Hispanic than one of the major parties race baiting using them to win votes. Haha, it will be fun watching you guys get punished for your bigotry.

Except that same-sex marriage is approximately as popular with Hispanic voters as it is with white voters.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2012, 08:22:54 pm »
Ignore

The King of all Flip Flops.

July 2 , 2014

President Obama has topped predecessor George W. Bush in another poll, but not one he would like.

In a new Quinnipiac University Poll, 33% named Obama the worst president since World War II, and 28% put Bush at the bottom of post-war presidents.

OBAMA WORSE THAN DUBYA!  WHO KNEW?
They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 09, 2012, 08:25:05 pm »
Ignore

trololol
Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2012, 08:32:22 pm »
Ignore

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 09, 2012, 08:36:31 pm »
Ignore

Look whose talkin'!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:41:21 pm by Mitt Romney, Economic Heavyweight »Logged

July 2 , 2014

President Obama has topped predecessor George W. Bush in another poll, but not one he would like.

In a new Quinnipiac University Poll, 33% named Obama the worst president since World War II, and 28% put Bush at the bottom of post-war presidents.

ajb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 09, 2012, 08:44:10 pm »
Ignore

Apologies for writing in a normal-sized font. But the Washington Post has some interesting cross-tabs on support for same-sex marriage among different demographics:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/behind-the-numbers/post/poll-trend-on-same-sex-marriage/2012/05/09/gIQAi6zhDU_blog.html

Interestingly, Republicans today are pretty split on the issue, with 57% against, and 39% for. So it's not altogether easy for Romney to pontificate against same-sex marriage.
Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 09, 2012, 08:46:59 pm »
Ignore

Look whose talkin'!

To be fair... support doesn't equal troll... completely over and under estimating the impact of something either makes you deranged or a troll.

Changing a public position on one issue doesn't somehow negate Romney's inability to present a coherent or consistent public position on pretty much anything.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 09, 2012, 08:50:40 pm »
Ignore

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/09/shep-smith-obama-21st-century-gay-marriage_n_1503849.html

So, how much longer before they fire him?

Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 09, 2012, 08:54:05 pm »
Ignore

Soon. Let him go to MSNBC. He can replace Ed Schultz. Even as a liberal I find that guy so annoying.
Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

P

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 09, 2012, 08:58:02 pm »
Ignore

Soon. Let him go to MSNBC. He can replace Ed Schultz. Even as a liberal I find that guy so annoying.

You're not alone.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 09, 2012, 09:03:05 pm »
Ignore

Look whose talkin'!

To be fair... support doesn't equal troll... completely over and under estimating the impact of something either makes you deranged or a troll.

Changing a public position on one issue doesn't somehow negate Romney's inability to present a coherent or consistent public position on pretty much anything.

So I call it a flip flop and you call me a troll.  Actually, you are the troll for levelling the accusation at me.

July 2 , 2014

Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 09, 2012, 09:09:15 pm »
Ignore

Look whose talkin'!

So I call it a flip flop and you call me a troll.  Actually, you are the troll for levelling the accusation at me.

It's not an accusation based on that statement alone... more an assessment of the overall view.

Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 09, 2012, 09:11:44 pm »
Ignore

Look whose talkin'!

It's probably ill-advised to make grammatical errors in 30-point bold red.

n/c
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 09, 2012, 09:12:52 pm »
Ignore

Look whose talkin'!

While I do admit that this seems rather flip-floppy to me (and probably many others), this is an issue that a) many Americans have been 'flip-flopping' over time, especially in the last decade, and b) you're one to talk about a candidate flip-flopping, especially on social issues.

Also, you messed up who's and whose in large red font.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 09, 2012, 09:25:00 pm »
Ignore

Well thank you Mr. grammar perfection.

I remain, as always, your obedient and humble servant.

July 2 , 2014

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 09, 2012, 09:27:59 pm »
Ignore

I laughed.

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 09, 2012, 10:06:29 pm »
Ignore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIPfQ-HtYeM
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 09, 2012, 10:57:14 pm »
Ignore

Holy crap, Obama forgot to be a moderate hero.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout