Obama Backs Gay Marriage! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:04:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama Backs Gay Marriage! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Backs Gay Marriage!  (Read 33095 times)
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 09, 2012, 03:44:23 PM »

Obama also supported gay marriage before he was against it before he was for it:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/01/13/obama-once-supported-same_n_157656.html

Really, he's no better than Romney.

Oh, they absolutely both played expediency on this issue, but at least one eventually came back to a position that is intellectually and morally defensible -- and probably did so before it was actually politically expedient in the swing states.

Romney has a reasonable response to Obama's stance on gay marriage. Leave it up to the states to decide what's right.

Oh, perfectly reasonable, besides what he would vote personally if it came to referendum.  Also, I'm pretty sure that Obama has said "leave it up to the states" since the announcement, too.  Still not a difficult choice between the two opinions.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:07:55 PM »

1) I think it's reprehensible that any one side can claim moral superiority on this issue and use it to totally marr debate on the question of marriage.

"marr"?

I'm absolutely open to a debate on this issue!  I don't want to necessarily start a debate on a basic, vanilla news thread.  However, absolutely, if you disagree with gay marriage, let's discuss it! Smiley  I can't say that I don't think gay marriage is morally superior, but a vacuous statement of moral superiority does not a meaningful discussion make.

So, if you disagree with gay marriage, let's have a meaningful discussion.  You in?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 05:21:42 PM »

Wonderful Smiley

Romney's 180 turn on this will make for an interesting topic come the debates.
I don't think he's turning anymore; I think he's just become an amorphous blob:

Moderator: Do you support gay marriage?

Obama: Yes.

Romney: Well, um, uh, well, I, um, certainly support the, um, gay and lesbian, um, well...I'd like to pass on this one, Bob.

Moderator: President Obama, why did you change your opinion on gay marriage?

Obama: Well-uh-I-uh-where's my teleprompter?

Romney: Flip-flopping on gay marriage isn't going to help the economy.

did this remind anyone else of the professor?

Opposing gay marriage isn't going to get you girls.  Unless they're 75 years old.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »

It's probably ill-advised to make grammatical errors in 30-point bold red.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 04:50:58 PM »

Quick question: Does anybody have polling on the level of support for gay marriage in North Carolina prior to their recent vote against gay marriage? I am curious if the public polling strongly mirrors the private votes.

PPP had it underwater 34%-57% in their most recent poll of the legal/illegal question.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies