Obama Backs Gay Marriage! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:36:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama Backs Gay Marriage! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama Backs Gay Marriage!  (Read 33163 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: May 09, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Thanks for bringing this up. Yes, the Republicans could have exploited this issue to get more support with working class Hispanics but then you guys f'ed up with the AZ immigration law and similar laws that have been passed by Republicans across the country. Gays marrying will be less of an issue for Hispanic than one of the major parties race baiting using them to win votes. Haha, it will be fun watching you guys get punished for your bigotry.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:03:25 AM »

Looks like Obama alienated about half the hispanic votes in key swing states.  Oh, and I thought Romney was a flip flopper on issues, Obama supporters can be hypocrites at times.

Thanks for bringing this up. Yes, the Republicans could have exploited this issue to get more support with working class Hispanics but then you guys f'ed up with the AZ immigration law and similar laws that have been passed by Republicans across the country. Gays marrying will be less of an issue for Hispanic than one of the major parties race baiting using them to win votes. Haha, it will be fun watching you guys get punished for your bigotry.

Except that same-sex marriage is approximately as popular with Hispanic voters as it is with white voters.

Yes, after you factor in Southern whites that is probably true. The difference being those whites wouldn't vote Democrat in any case, whereas some Latino voters who oppose gay marriage probably do. There is a chance Latino voters could be turned off by this, but race baiting by the Republicans will take precedence over this issue for sure. And African Americans are so loyal to the Democrats and especially to Obama that I don't see them flipping over this either. Latinos are swing voters without strong loyalties but the idiot Republicans changed that. I hope they get punished. I really do. Bigotry must not be tolerated.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 02:36:29 AM »

Here's the point. Of the whites who oppose gay marriage, the large majority are already voting Republican. That is not necessarily true of Latinos and certainly not true with Blacks. If Latinos are voting 2:1 or 3:1 for Obama while being split on gay marriage, obviously there is a lot of pro-Obama and anti-gay marriage overlap. The question is whether this will affect the vote of many of them, but imho it won't.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 03:02:32 AM »

I highly doubt it will drop that much with Latinos. I don't think it will be more than a couple points, and that too due to decreased turnout rather than them voting for Romney. And with Blacks I suspect no change at all.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »

Moral issues trump racial identity. This will bite Obama in the hindquarters amongst AA's and Latinos for sure. He just lost Indiana, West Virginia, made his life harder in Virginia, North Carolina, and possibly Ohio, Colorado, Missouri, and Florida.

Racial identity? You do realize its the Republicans who have going on a racist/xenophobic crusade in places like Arizona and Alabama? It will be fun to watch you guys get punished.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 06:34:04 PM »

In a way, if he had come out with this just before the convention, it would have politicized it more than it will now. The backlash could have been stronger against him. I think in the end the timing worked out well for Obama, thanks to Biden's gaffe prone mouth. Tongue
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »

Moral issues trump racial identity. This will bite Obama in the hindquarters amongst AA's and Latinos for sure. He just lost Indiana, West Virginia, made his life harder in Virginia, North Carolina, and possibly Ohio, Colorado, Missouri, and Florida.

Racial identity? You do realize its the Republicans who have going on a racist/xenophobic crusade in places like Arizona and Alabama? It will be fun to watch you guys get punished.

Those laws are not racist/xenophobic
[/quote]

That's not up to you to decide but rather those who would be affected by it. It's easy as hell for you as a white guy to not care much about it but Latinos and Asians are the ones who would be stopped just because some racist cop has a "reasonable suspicion" they are in this country illegally.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2012, 09:53:35 PM by Senator Sbane »

Wasn't it basically neutered by the courts?

Really immigration status should only be questioned while entering the country or when getting a job. Also if you have been convicted of a crime. Having people carry their immigration documention with them all the time is not a good idea at all. Things like that should be kept in safe keeping like your house. If you dont have a drivers license (which is not enough if you got it from NM, UT or WA) you would have to carry that with you to comply with this law. And it would also authorize your arrest without a warrant if you don't have it at any point. And of course only non-whites would ever be asked for it. Doesn't take a genius to figure that out.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies