Confirmation Hearing: SJoyceFla as Secretary of External Affairs (Confirmed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:08:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: SJoyceFla as Secretary of External Affairs (Confirmed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: SJoyceFla as Secretary of External Affairs (Confirmed)  (Read 2619 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 09, 2012, 07:02:39 PM »
« edited: May 14, 2012, 04:53:36 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

PRESS RELEASE

President Polnut tonight nominated IDS Legislator SJoyceFla to serve as the next Secretary of External Affairs.

The President made this statement... "SoEA is an often thankless position, but it is deeply important and as a president that has a focus on foreign policy, whom I nominate must have a number of clear qualities.

The most important of which is knowledge, the SoEA must not only know what is going on in the rest of the world, but also know the mechanisms of global organisations and diplomacy.

Taking that into consideration, I have been deeply impressed with SJoyceFla's understanding and enthusiasm, therefore I have no hesitation in nominating him to serve in my Cabinet."

Senators have a maximum of 72 hours to question the nominee.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 07:05:05 PM »

I'll just ask you the same thing I asked some of the presidential candidates.

Where do you stand on:

• Iraq
  • Iran (their nuclear program, in particular)
  • Afghanistan
  • China
  • North Korea
  • the LRA?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 07:20:53 PM »

I commend the President on an excellent choice- I'd like to see the answers to Scott's question and also about SJoyceFla's opinion of the Israel-Palestinian conflict...specifically what our involvement should be if any
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 07:33:41 PM »

I would like to know the nominee's opinions about India, Russia and Sudan.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:10:41 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2012, 09:25:53 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

I'll just ask you the same thing I asked some of the presidential candidates.

Where do you stand on:

• Iraq
  • Iran (their nuclear program, in particular)
  • Afghanistan
  • China
  • North Korea
  • the LRA?

Iraq: There weren't any weapons of mass destruction, and Saddam's gone. An Atlasian presence is no longer needed in Iraq beyond protecting the Atlasian Embassy and possibly training Iraqi security forces; no combat troops.

Iran: Not our business to attack/invade Iran solely due to them having a nuclear program; if we act in conjunction with the international community to impose sanctions, I'm all for that, but an invasion I'm against; note that this only applies to their current nuclear program (if they weaponize it, that's a different scenario, in which case I would favor force if they are using it to threaten or attack Atlasian strategic allies in the region). If they blocked the Strait of Hormuz and attacked Atlasian vessels, I would favor action to incapacitate the Iranian Navy/Air Force (whatever they're using), but would not be in favor of, say, occupying Tehran.

Afghanistan: We're done there. Same level of military presence as in Iraq (embassy/training, no combat troops).

China: They have serious internal problems (severe rich-poor gap, urban-rural divide, Tibet/Uyghurstan issues, infrastructure), but they're doing quite well economically. I'm very concerned about Chinese expansionism in the South China Sea and against Taiwan, and would provide support to Taiwan if China launched a war of aggression against them; however, the primary issues are economic (debt and currency and such), which I believe falls under the jurisdiction of the Secretary of Internal Affairs (budgetary/Treasury).

North Korea: North Korea is a valuable asset to the international community; we need some form of comic relief during tense UN meetings. My serious position: their nuclear program concerns me, but until they can both get a working missile and get one that can reach our territory, I'm not that concerned. They're an international joke, and until they pose a threat to Atlasia, her citizens, and her territory, we shouldn't be spending time on them when Israel-Palestine, AfPak/India, and Iran are still much more pressing issues.

Lord's Resistance Army: Not a threat to our national security, and not our problem; getting involved would likely lead to more sectarian violence. Although the LRA is terrible and evil, getting involved on the side of the Ugandan government would be just as reprehensible. If a genocide was occurring, I would favor stepping in, but in its current state, the LRA is not capable of such.

Israel-Palestine: I believe that Israel has committed serious crimes against the Palestinian people (in particular settlements, the separation wall, assassinations, water issues, etc.), and that the Palestinians have in turn committed violent acts of terrorism against the Israelis (Hamas, PIJ, etc); neither side can really have a claim to the "moral high ground" or act self-righteous and like they're better than the other. Atlasia needs to act as a fair, impartial mediator. Personally, I favor the creation of a single state with equal rights and citizenship without regards to ethnicity/religion, as settlements in particular have made determining proper borders almost impossible. Such a solution would unite all the people of Palestine into a powerful (given Israel's current power), yet secular (due to the multiple religions that would exist) state. It would also safeguard the holy places in Jerusalem and other states, again due to the secular character of the nation. A new secular democracy would greatly benefit the region. However, if a two-state or three-state solution becomes viable, I would implement that posthaste (the biggest concern is creating peace, not one, two, or three states).

India: Increasingly vital to our foreign policy interests; a dominant actor in the region and a BRIC; potential counterweight to China. Economic and security cooperation is always welcome and a goal of mine. I back their bid for a permanent seat on the UNSC. We are natural allies, two of the world's largest democracies; I look forward to initiating a closer strategic partnership with India, making them an ally of ours like the United Kingdom.

Russia: Although Russia is a very important nation and key to global affairs, I am deeply concerned about trends towards authoritarianism that are occurring, especially in light of recent events in Chechnya and Georgia. I am also concerned about Russian ties to Venezuela and Russian corporations arming the Assad regime. However, I support recent START-type progress, and recent anti-hijacking exercises that have been conducted, and hope to work with Russia in areas where we are in agreement.

Sudans: I believe that relations with Sudan can be significantly improved, and that Atlasia can work with Sudan to improve diplomatic conditions and attempt to ease the Darfur conflict. I would favor an easing of sanctions on the Sudanese regime in exchange for a cessation of human rights abuses, referendums in the regions disputed in South Sudan, and a resolution to Darfur. As for South Sudan, I urge the holding of popular referendums in Abyei, South Kurdufan, and Blue Nile in order to determine which nation they shall become a part of.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:18:42 PM »

Some of your language regarding the Israel Palestinian conflict concerns me...also regarding North Korea. However, other language reassures me such as your willingness to support the use of force to defend our interests and allies if Iran were to obtain nuclear arms...

Any disagreement we may have would be minor and would make for great discussions. You've proven in a short time to be the most knowledgeable member of  this board with regards to foreign policy and I am enthusastically supporting your confirmation...
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 09:20:18 PM »

I would like to butt in and say that Sjoycefla has proven himself to be a wonderful legislator.  It will be a shame to lose him to a fluff position.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »

Some of your language regarding the Israel Palestinian conflict concerns me...also regarding North Korea. However, other language reassures me such as your willingness to support the use of force to defend our interests and allies if Iran were to obtain nuclear arms...

Any disagreement we may have would be minor and would make for great discussions. You've proven in a short time to be the most knowledgeable member of  this board with regards to foreign policy and I am enthusiastically supporting your confirmation...

To answer your concerns: my language on Israel-Palestine is intended to say that neither side has the moral high ground, they've both done wrong to each other, so we can accept that Palestine has a right to be upset at Israel, and Israel has a right to be upset at Palestine, and move on to solving the concrete issues between them. My language on North Korea is intended to say that they're really an international joke; while they're a problem worth addressing, it should be after bigger problems to us, like Israel-Palestine and Iran, are addressed, as those are more likely to directly impact and cause harm to Atlasian citizens. I adjusted both for clarity. My Iran policy can basically be encapsulated as: I do not fear a nuclear Iran, but I greatly fear a nuclear-armed Iran and would take necessary action in that circumstance (not necessarily meaning an all-out ground war). Thank you, and Yelnoc, and Scott, and Napoleon, and 20RP12, for y'all's support.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 09:57:39 PM »

I think it's difficult to find moral equivalence between Israeli settlements and Palestinians naming public squares after suicide bombers...

However- I see your point and appreciate where you're coming from. You have my support
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:08:11 PM »

I would like to butt in and say that Sjoycefla has proven himself to be a wonderful legislator.  It will be a shame to lose him to a fluff position.

That's the difference... in my Administration, SoEA is not a fluff position.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »

I think it's difficult to find moral equivalence between Israeli settlements and Palestinians naming public squares after suicide bombers...

However- I see your point and appreciate where you're coming from. You have my support

It's more so that I'd rather spend my times on, say, the UK leaving the EU than combing through the archives of Ha'aretz to count Palestinian bombings and then counting Israeli missile strikes to find out precisely who was in the less-wrong Tongue. I do get that Palestine isn't necessarily the victim they portray themselves to be, but it's a whole lot easier to just say "we're both in the wrong here, we've both done terrible things to each other, so now let's work together to build a united nation" than to establish a committee to count the tolls on each side. Thanks again for your support, and I look forward to gettin into this in more depth in a future Senate debate (hope I didn't just jinx myself there).
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »

Hmm.. I must say it doesn't look like we will see quite eye to eye on everything here. But I do like how you presented your answers. It appears that you are ready and willing to put a lot of hard work into this office. We all know that you have some pretty big shoes to fill, but it looks like you are ready for the job.

I haven't decided yet, but so far it looks like you'll have my support.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »

Hmm.. I must say it doesn't look like we will see quite eye to eye on everything here. But I do like how you presented your answers. It appears that you are ready and willing to put a lot of hard work into this office. We all know that you have some pretty big shoes to fill, but it looks like you are ready for the job.

I haven't decided yet, but so far it looks like you'll have my support.

If you've got any specific issues with anything, just let me know and I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability. Other than that, thanks!
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 09:12:10 PM »

How do you intend to use the power to create storylines?  I'm also rather perturbed by your answers regarding Israel, North Korea, the LRA, and Sudan.  However, I certainly appreciate that you seem willing to devote time to this position.

Also, where do you stand on working with the Senate when it comes, say, to the FPR?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 09:23:22 PM »

How do you intend to use the power to create storylines?  I'm also rather perturbed by your answers regarding Israel, North Korea, the LRA, and Sudan.  However, I certainly appreciate that you seem willing to devote time to this position.

Also, where do you stand on working with the Senate when it comes, say, to the FPR?

On storylines, I'd begin by continuing whatever you've got going (UK-EU and such); after that, I'd simply attempt to use the power to plausibly continue events in order to make this whole thing interestig, to give the Senate stuff to do, and generally keep the game alive.

On the Senate: I'm happy to work with the Senate on such as the FPR; they're generally an intelligent lot and I welcome their input to improve such. I'll hold my ground if it's against the interests of myself and the administration, but I'm glad to work with them to improve my products.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 09:37:52 PM »

Excellent answers!  I must admit to still being disturbed by the positions I mentioned above; could you please clarify and/or expand those specific areas?  When it comes to Israel, do you believe a One State solution is feasible?  Would you support the amendment Senator Clarence and I have proposed regarding Gaza and the West Bank?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 09:57:01 PM »
« Edited: May 11, 2012, 06:24:56 AM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

Excellent answers!  I must admit to still being disturbed by the positions I mentioned above; could you please clarify and/or expand those specific areas?  When it comes to Israel, do you believe a One State solution is feasible?  Would you support the amendment Senator Clarence and I have proposed regarding Gaza and the West Bank?

I believe a one state solution is the most feasible given the facts on the ground currently, and that would be my preferred method of solving this crisis; however, if the oppurtunity arose where it would be more feasible to institute a two or three-state solution, or where a one-state solution becomes non-feasible, I would not hesitate to implement an alternative. Although I prefer a one-state solution, I'd prefer peace over any of them.

I would support your/Clarence's amendment; while Gaza and the West Bank are both inhabited by Palestinians, they are certainly two very different places, especially in terms of government; I wouldn't want to slap full sanctions on the West Bank, and I wouldn't want to have no sanctions (especially military) on Gaza.

Israel: I've been reading Romeo and Juliet, and it reminded me of Israel-Palestine. Two nations, always at each other's throats; someone kills someone, that guy's family kill the other guy, the other guy's friends kill one of them, and in the end you've got a wall around the West Bank and Hamas raining missiles on your heads. What's needed is someone (well, multiple ones) to step up and say, "this is crazy, we keep hurting each other for no good reason. Let's stop the violence and work together." I think that increased cooperation between the PA and Israel are the key to peace, with joint counterterrorist programs, public works in Palestine, and other such things to integrate both areas within each other.

North Korea: The North is an issue that I will act on as soon as it becomes credible. While they're now a nuclear weapons state, their ability to threaten Atlasia, or even the South really, is little (as evidenced by their recent missile test). I'd provide support to the South if North Korea commenced offensive action against them, but at this point in time, they're really just grandstanding. Although North Korea is worthy of being addressed, I'd do so after more pressing issues (a la Iran) are resolved.

LRA: The LRA at this point is a toothless and dispersed band of 200-250 militants in Central Africa. Although I support Joseph Kony's arrest and trial, he is not the first, nor the last, in a long line of heinous warlords (typically battling heinous governments). If a genocide is occurring or a significant threat to national security exists, I would take action; however, I do not believe the LRA at this time to fall under either category, and we should now be focused on rebuilding northern Uganda instead of hunting down the last of the guys who did it.

Sudan: I'd support doing in Sudan what we're doing in Burma now; a gradual easing of sanctions in return for an end to the Darfur conflict and popular referendums in South Kordofan/Blue Nile. If Sudan starts attempting to bring about a peaceful resolution in Darfur, I'd support reducing sanctions, and so on.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 02:33:01 AM »

I like your one-state solution in Israel/Palestine but I fear it's too idealistic. The chances of a civil war would be high from day one. Anyways, you have my support. You have indeed put a lot of thought into this.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 05:35:51 AM »

I like your one-state solution in Israel/Palestine but I fear it's too idealistic. The chances of a civil war would be high from day one. Anyways, you have my support. You have indeed put a lot of thought into this.

It is idealistic, but that's what we need now, to think of all possible solutions and see how they go over. No sense in not proposing a potential solution; even if it's rejected by both of em, you now have better knowledge of what they need in a plan and can use that in your next 2/3 state proposal. Thanks for your support!
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 08:43:02 PM »

Without a motion for an extention, this will end tomorrow at 7 PM or so and be brough to a vote.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 09:41:00 AM »

Can you give examples of when you believe military intervention would be appropriate?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 12:16:27 PM »

Can you give examples of when you believe military intervention would be appropriate?

I would support military intervention when Atlasia or a significant ally has suffered military attack (ex: Pearl Harbor), when there is sufficient evidence such an attack is imminent and the Senate supports action, when a genocide is occurring and the Senate supports action (ex: Rwanda, former Yugoslavia), or when humanitarian intervention is requested by the United Nations Security Council and supported by the Senate.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »

I can probably guess how you're going to answer this judging by your avatar, but would you please explain your views on conscription, and when it should or should not be used?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 01:03:13 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2012, 01:19:22 PM by IDS Legislator SJoyceFla »

I can probably guess how you're going to answer this judging by your avatar, but would you please explain your views on conscription, and when it should or should not be used?

My avatar... I dislike the current Democratic administration but I vote Democratic at a local level... It should be L/D-FL and orange, but that, of course, isn't an option.

On conscription: I believe that a draft is prohibited, due to Clause 3, Article VI of the Third Constitution, during peacetime. During times of war, I believe a draft is constitutional but would only support its use under dire circumstances, such as if Atlasia or an ally was attacked.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 01:11:12 PM »

Hmm... I will need to consider voting on confirmation very carefully...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies