Mitt Romney, high school bully?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:22:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney, high school bully?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Mitt Romney, high school bully?  (Read 21411 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »

jesus christ Politico I don't even
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2012, 07:39:44 PM »

The round about thing is... that's utter BS. The death rate was high among that age bracket... but to suggest that he'd more likely be dead than alive is utter twaddle.

For example, my mother was in the beauty industry before I was born, so a lot of her friends are gay men in that age bracket, none were infected, let alone died of AIDS... that may be anecdotal, but it's a stronger evidence base than you're using.

Early death stats were shaky, as many died very quickly - however in Australia AIDS-related deaths, whether cancer, pneumonia  etc etc... are indeed listed as AIDS-related. Even if not known to be infected, that blood work is done at time of autopsy.

As to the story?

I don't care, he looked like the type who probably was a douchebag at school... I don't honestly think it should be an issue today. I knew people in HS that were genuinely horrible people, but 12 years later are actually decent human beings.

Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2012, 07:44:05 PM »

Speaking as a 47 year old gay man who became sexually active in the '80s, I can tell you that I have known many gay men who have died from AIDS, as well as many that are still living with HIV, and many who have never had it (myself included).
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »

Can someone explain to me how this thread became centered around Politico and not Romney's high school jaunt down disturbia lane? Tongue
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »

Can someone explain to me how this thread became centered around Politico and not Romney's high school jaunt down disturbia lane? Tongue

That would be Politico talking out of his proverbial ... you can't let BS like that stand...
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2012, 07:52:35 PM »

At least we've moved on from Hagrid's creepy music teacher
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2012, 07:54:07 PM »
« Edited: May 10, 2012, 07:57:14 PM by Joe Republic »

Politico's strategy for protecting Romney here is to take this thread in the strangest possible direction so that that's all we can now talk about, and not Mitt Romney assaulting a gay guy in high school.

Between Hagrid's pedophilic teacher and Politico's declaration that this story can't be true because the victim didn't die of AIDS, personally I can't wait for Winfield to get here.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2012, 07:55:32 PM »

Who needs television or movies when you've got... this? All of the sadistic pleasures of a cockfight or a gangbang in nine neat little pages.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2012, 07:58:08 PM »

At least we've moved on from Hagrid's creepy music teacher

It's not creepy! She put a bow in his hair!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but nobody is entitled to their own facts. The fact of the matter is that this story is both unverifiable and unfalsifiable. Some people will believe something that can never be proven nor disproved. I choose to not believe something that is not proven and cannot be proven, especially when political timing is all so convenient.

uh, ok, but I asked why you seem to be operating on the assumption I disagree with you...

I am not being inconsistent. We are merely having a communication breakdown, and it's probably my fault because I am exhausted and have a lot on the go.

You're complaining that you shouldn't make presumptions of guilt based on unfalsifiable/unverifiable information (although the latter is a subjective standard), and then proceed to do that in your next paragraph.  No?

Like I said, the best we can use is a proxy to give us an idea of how devastating it was to a whole generation of gay men before medications became readily available. Everybody knows that homosexuals tend to dominate the arts. And clearly a whole generation of homosexuals in the arts were devastated by a deadly disease. Now perhaps it hit homosexuals in the arts harder than homosexuals outside of the arts, but I still believe it's a pretty good proxy after you downgrade the figures by 20 or 30 points in order to give a conservative guess.

Um, OK.  Let me walk through this:  You're trying to estimate the HIV death rate for the population "gay people."  You have a convenient subsample -- celebrities -- that are convenient because they're highly accessible, although probably not representative.  That's fine.  However, accessibility is the only criteria you're accepting celebrities for.  To exclude Barney Frank because he's not a celebrity makes no sense.  You're excluding him because he's not a celebrity, even though you limited your sample based on an issue (information accessibility) that is not a problem with Frank.  Basically, you're eliminating Frank because he makes your sample too representative.  It doesn't make sense.

No, I am suggesting that 60% +/- 15% of homosexual men born between 1940-1960 who were sexually active before 1980 became victims of AIDS/HIV.

Were you not suggesting earlier that this story was probably fabricated, because someone of that age was likely to due of HIV/AIDS?  A 2-in-5 chance is so improbable you're willing to assume fabrication?  You are definitely invited to my house to come over and gamble whenever you like.

When somebody with HIV dies of a heart attack, they are added to national statistics as being casualties of heart disease, not AIDS. When somebody with HIV dies of cancer, they are added to national statistics as being casualties of cancer, not AIDS. If somebody with HIV never develops AIDS, they cannot be listed as having died of complications from AIDS. The medications of the past twenty years are largely preventing HIV from causing AIDS in most cases, but they are only prolonging an inevitable death, although by a considerable amount (on average, they are probably adding 10-15 years compared to if one went without treatment). Eventually the heart goes, or cancer develops, and takes out the victim. The bottomline: It's not diabetes, even if most everybody wants to pretend it is.

...Did you just ignore my response about underlying causes, or do you think this addresses it somehow?
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2012, 08:04:30 PM »

So cutting someones hair in the early 60's would be like what today?  
Telling a kid to put on a belt and pull his pants up?  

FYI, sports teams cut kids hair all the time to this day.    
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2012, 08:05:22 PM »

This is a non-story obviously. But it's amusing how people think Obama hasn't been attacked at all. Did they forget what happened with Reverend Wright? Obama had to give an excellent speech to squash that. And what about all the Obama is a muslim bullsh**t? One network ( a very "fair and balanced" one) in particular pretty much came out and hinted that he was. And the rest of them reported on it constantly as well. Those who think Obama hasn't been attacked enough are just haters.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2012, 08:21:29 PM »

This is a non-story obviously. But it's amusing how people think Obama hasn't been attacked at all. Did they forget what happened with Reverend Wright? Obama had to give an excellent speech to squash that. And what about all the Obama is a muslim bullsh**t? One network ( a very "fair and balanced" one) in particular pretty much came out and hinted that he was. And the rest of them reported on it constantly as well. Those who think Obama hasn't been attacked enough are just haters.

Reverend Wright is a classic example of the kid gloves Obama gets.  The Story was ignored for what five months?  Then it actually gets covered for two days... Obama gives a crap speech and the media fawns over his "momentous speech" and forgets about it.  

I don't know about all of FNC, but I watch O'Reilly regularly and he knocked that crap down more than anyone including Obama himself.  

I honestly don't know, but does Obama have any recent religious history outside of Wright's church?        
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2012, 08:32:40 PM »

boys pull girls pony tales, it usually means they like them. 

girls put gum in other girls hair, it usually means they're jealous.

girls have slumber parties and do all kinds of stuff

guys cut other guys hair, typically in some kind of "team/tribe" context. 

This has gone on for hundreds of years  ...breaking NEWS, put it on the front page!!!
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2012, 08:39:44 PM »

Romney wasn't a child when he did this, he was practically an adult and old enough to know better.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2012, 08:42:45 PM »

Back then more so than today, the age of maturity is two years older every decade it seems.

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2012, 08:43:00 PM »

Romney is opposed to same-sex marriage. Same-sex marriage was never legal in the Soviet Union. Therefore, Romney is a communist.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #142 on: May 10, 2012, 08:47:07 PM »

This is a non-story, whether it's true or not.

What's more interesting is some of the responses in this thread. We seem to have some masochists...
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #143 on: May 10, 2012, 08:48:55 PM »

This has gone on for hundreds of years  ...breaking NEWS, put it on the front page!!!

Do you really think any of those are analogous to the social dynamic going on with a group of near-adult males forcibly cut the hair of someone who's allegedly ostracized?  I'm not saying that happened, but if it did, do you really think it should be treated the same way?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #144 on: May 10, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »

Romney is still a bully.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #145 on: May 10, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »

Romney wasn't a child when he did this, he was practically an adult and old enough to know better.

1) you don't know that
2) If it did happen -- no one knows how bad it was -- it may have been harmless -- only the people involved know and the "victim" is dead and never told a soul. 

3)Meanwhile at the same age Obama was selling drugs, he was practically an adult and old enough to know better.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #146 on: May 10, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »

1) you don't know that
2) If it did happen -- no one knows how bad it was -- it may have been harmless -- only the people involved know and the "victim" is dead and never told a soul. 

3)Meanwhile at the same age Obama was selling drugs, he was practically an adult and old enough to know better.

1. 18 is an adult and that's old enough to know better, no excuses.
2. Romney didn't deny it, he just gave the "I don't remember" response. Being held down against one's will is never harmless.
3. Stop making things up, it won't change that Mitt Romney is a bully.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #147 on: May 10, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »

Um....what?

This wasn't SAE....
AmericanNation

Political Matrix

« Reply #148 on: May 10, 2012, 09:28:06 PM »

1) you don't know that

1. 18 is an adult and that's old enough to know better, no excuses.
2. Romney didn't deny it, he just gave the "I don't remember" response. Being held down against one's will is never harmless.
3. Stop making things up, it won't change that Mitt Romney is a bully.
I didn't make anything up.  What do you think I made up?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #149 on: May 10, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Are you writing a novel or something?  This is all quite creative I must say.

Come on, Torie. It's ing awful what happened, and what is happening. It's not as bad, obviously, but it's still bad. I lost a cousin in 1987. I've talked to folks in health care, and they've told me about the side effects many folks have with the medications of the past twenty years, and how many people eventually just have one of their organs give out, or watch cancer take over. And, myself, I think it's awful how many people have no idea what they're leading themselves into without knowing the full threat. It's not diabetes. It's more like multiple sclerosis now. A painful, painful condition that nobody should have to endure.

Maybe you should check up on the efficacy of HIV meds currently available.  Sure if you get full blown AIDS because you don't take your meds, that is another matter. It isn't the 80's anymore.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies