I was asked to volunteer to work for Obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:15:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  I was asked to volunteer to work for Obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: I was asked to volunteer to work for Obama  (Read 5595 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« on: May 12, 2012, 06:06:12 AM »

Torie says he's concerned about the deficit and yet he's supporting Mitt "Let's build a fleet of brand new battleships and massively cut taxes" Romney. Hm...

A plank with which I disagree, although it isn't "battleships."  They don't make those anymore. Smiley  But that all pales in comparison with where the big game lie. Mittens does not propose to cut taxes, just rates. For some reason a lot of Dems don't want to focus on that distinction. Shocking!  Tongue

I looked through his 87 page plan and couldn't find anything about what deductions he wants to eliminate or how he plans to stick it to the upper middle class/rich. That is what his plan is, no? Or does everybody lose the benefit of those deductions? Anyways, it's something he could not cover in those 87 pages, I guess because 2/3rd of it is devoted to mindless attacks on Obama. Lots of gravitas right there. In any case if he did go over it in some section other than taxes, let me know (and his website is even more dumbed down so I know it's not there). Taxes need to be raised, not lowered. Simpson-Bowles is a good start but taxes need to be raised more than that, especially on those making $1,000,000+. I don't support Brown's tax plan, mainly because it will hurt California in competing with other states, but I wholeheartedly support raising taxes on them at the federal level. Not only should they not get any deductions, rates need to be raised up to 40% or more. Finally, we might need to raise payroll taxes or institute a VAT if we want to go the same direction on health care for the elderly. I am highly concerned all Romney will accomplish is lowering rates and not much else. This campaign shows he does not have much of a spine at all and will only do what is popular. Surely you do not disagree with that?

Also the most troubling part about electing Romney (and to be fair any Republican save Ron Paul) would be foreign policy. I fear we will be entangled in a third conflict by the end of his first term. The neocons still control your party. And he also vows to raise military spending. You say the country needs to make hard choices, and so you choose the guy who will prioritize military spending over spending those precious dollars on health care (where every cent counts)?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 07:09:47 PM »

The thing is that Republicans don't want to raise taxes. They dont want revenue to go up to 18% of GDP as it has been historically let alone more than that. Of course spending would still need to be cut, but raising taxes a good amount with spending cuts can lead to a balanced budget when the economy picks up. To be fair it's not like Democrats are that keen on spending cuts but it's not like any of them have signed a childish pledge not to do it.....
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 02:57:47 PM »

I suggest you follow Opebo's advice. Also is that brickweed in your signature?

Fossilized kelp. 

Interesting. Why is it in your signature? I was wondering the same as Seatown, and thought you needed to visit some better dispensaries. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies