Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 05:06:18 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Off-topic Board (Moderators: Torie, The Mikado, Badger)
| | |-+  Who do you support in the War of Five Kings? (Game of Thrones on HBO)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: ?
Joffrey Baratheon*   -1 (3.4%)
Renly Baratheon   -3 (10.3%)
Stannis Baratheon   -5 (17.2%)
Balon Greyjoy   -0 (0%)
Robb Stark   -11 (37.9%)
Daenerys Targaryen (technically not a participant)   -9 (31%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Who do you support in the War of Five Kings? (Game of Thrones on HBO)  (Read 2080 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -6.09

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 04:50:20 am »
Ignore

OH!  Yeah, he's nucking futs.  Arguably the second most hateable character on the show.  (and yes, his sister is quite hot...but quite crazy too)  And to make it worse, in the books she is like 12 or something when Conan rapes her.  Obviously they couldn't do that in the TV show.  Well, I guess they could, but it would have been even more disturbing than it was...and it was pretty freaking disturbing.

Didn't get that impression in the first episode. Maybe later she gets crazier (but don't tell anything, I want to watch it ... Tongue)

Yeah, in the TV show she looks like 18 or 20, not 12.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2012, 05:11:57 am »
Ignore

Is back story ok?  If not, don't highlight the rest of this post Wink  (no spoilers, just stuff that happened before the events in the show)

The Targaryens often married siblings to each other and often had "crazy" kids because of it.  The last Targaryen King was called "the Mad King" because he was nuts.  So crazy runs in the family.  Plus she was born during the war that saw her family all killed except for her asshole brother and her.  Then abused by him (I believe the books hint that it's sexual abuse, but the TV show is less clear on that) and then forced into marriage with a barbarian.  Then repeatidly raped by that barbarian....yeah, I'd be a little nuts too.

IDS Judicial Overlord John Dibble
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2012, 09:59:11 am »
Ignore

Just watched the 1st episode of this Game of Thrones thing.

Pretty good so far, but that blonde guy (who's sister is hot) is somewhat crazy.
Not as crazy as everybody else around him.  Jamie has actually grown on me a bit.  Sure that thing he did at the end of the first episode is despicable (suffering succotash), he's just playing his role in the game and doing it quite well.  I won't say he is a likeable character, but more likeable than his sister and much more so than his....ahem...."nephew".

No, I mean the blonde guy who forced his sister to marry that warrior guy, not that other blonde guy who f[inks]ed that woman in the tower while being watched by the 10 year old boy.

Easy for us to get that confused - the two going at it in the tower are siblings as well.

Acting like I'm Morrissey w/o the wit
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2012, 12:10:42 pm »
Ignore

Guessing this is the no-spoilers thread, given the new thread started, so I'll stop avoiding it.

To answer the question: Rob Stark - Northerners rule!

Nhoj
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2012, 09:29:40 pm »
Ignore

Stannis or dany are for me are the only ones I can support, and both honestly have legitimate claims to the throne.

Big spoilers for all books in small text below
besides everyone else on that list is dead.

آزادی برای ایران

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 03:03:42 am »
Ignore

Great finale, but I don't want to wait a whole year. Sad

Those little dragons are just so darn cute.

Platypus
hughento
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2012, 08:30:16 am »
Ignore

Just finished watching the first season.

I know this is a cliche, but...

THE BOOKS ARE SO MUCH BETTER.

The show has lost so so so much detail.

John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2012, 09:29:20 am »
Ignore

Just finished watching the first season.

I know this is a cliche, but...

THE BOOKS ARE SO MUCH BETTER.

The show has lost so so so much detail.

It's the inevitability of adaptation from book to visual media. You can't include everything. I do think the series is about as good an adaptation as you could get, though.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2012, 11:36:56 am »
Ignore

I was just talking to a friend last night about how I personally would love some really cheesy, camp classic adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire where the acting and scripts were good but for example Dany's dragons were clearly animatronic and the Wall was an obvious matte painting. Sadly, I doubt anybody else would.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2012, 06:38:52 am »
Ignore

HBO sorry over 'George Bush' head in Game of Thrones
link
The makers of Game of Thrones have apologised for a decapitated head resembling George W Bush that appeared in the first series.

HBO said it was "deeply dismayed" about the head's likeness to the former US president.

It appears in a scene where King Joffrey shows Sansa Stark her father's head on a spike.

Show creators David Benioff and D.B. Weiss also put out a statement apologising for any offence caused.

They explained that the show used many fake body parts, many which were rented out.

"After the scene was already shot, someone pointed out that one of the heads looked like George W. Bush.

"In the DVD commentary, we mentioned this, though we should not have.

"We meant no disrespect to the former President and apologize if anything we said or did suggested otherwise."

HBO's statement also described the matter as "unacceptable, disrespectful and in very bad taste".

"We made this clear to the executive producers of the series who apologized immediately for this inadvertent careless mistake.

"We are sorry this happened and will have it removed from any future DVD production."

The head appears in profile in the final episode of the first series.

In the DVD commentary to the show, David Benioff and D.B. Weiss mention its apparent likeness to George W Bush.

<snip>

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2012, 12:17:35 am »
Ignore

After seen Season One, I voted "Robb Stark".

BTW: How does this head look like GWB ? It's only a side view.
President von Cat
captain copernicus
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 10:49:49 am »
Ignore

Yeah, not sure I get what all the hullaballoo is about.

Has anyone here NOT read the books? I have finished A Storm of Swords, and OH MAN does it turn everything on its head!

It makes me happy Republicans will never be able to say they defeated Obama. Never ever.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 12:44:48 pm »
Ignore

Has anyone here NOT read the books?

I didn't read them.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 10:46:24 pm »
Ignore

Me either.

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 12:35:35 am »
Ignore

I found a good offer (all 5 books in English for 30Ä) and ordered them.

Too bad they have more than 5000 pages though ... Tongue
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 10:23:01 am »
Ignore

Game of Thrones Political Attack Ads

Friend forwarded these courtesy of Mother Jones. Pretty funny stuff.

Daenerys Targaryen: Wrong For Dragons, Wrong For The Realm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao4HVlV7wZU&list=UUbWB33FQvFiV0Pq9Calkgzw&index=3&feature=plcp

Joffrey Baratheon: Where Is The Birth Certificate?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yzw2ZiMt3y4&list=UUbWB33FQvFiV0Pq9Calkgzw&index=2&feature=plcp

Robb Stark: The Biggest Celebrity in The North
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6r9CdNenuk&list=UUbWB33FQvFiV0Pq9Calkgzw&index=1&feature=plcp
Cobbler
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 12:39:42 pm »
Ignore

I'm supporting Daenerys for the throne, but if Joffrey's power wanes (and Tywin/Tyrion's grows) than I'm conflicted and might support Lannister.

I'm also partial to Greyjoy purely because the Kraken is an awesome sigil.

Economic score: +2.19
Social score: -5.74
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 05:59:18 pm »
Ignore

[Minor spoiler, nothing specific. Highlight to read]

With so many votes for Robb and Dany, there must be a lot of non-readers here. All else aside, both prove themselves horribly incompetent and at least somewhat unlikable over the next several books.

I was just talking to a friend last night about how I personally would love some really cheesy, camp classic adaptation of A Song of Ice and Fire where the acting and scripts were good but for example Dany's dragons were clearly animatronic and the Wall was an obvious matte painting. Sadly, I doubt anybody else would.

I'm imagining something like Ralph Bakshi's take on LOTR. I'd watch.

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2012, 01:44:35 am »
Ignore

Stannis is the rightful king. Dany is of the blood of the crazed King Aerys, Robb Stark is an overgrown boy who is immature and unreasonable, Balon Greyjoy is a pathetic pirate, Joffrey is a little monster, and Renly, well, the less said about him, the better.

Stannis would bring order and stability to Westeros! And he's the only one who recognizes the threat of the Others.
John Dibble
YaBB God
Japan

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2012, 10:57:17 am »
Ignore

With so many votes for Robb and Dany, there must be a lot of non-readers here. All else aside, both prove themselves horribly incompetent and at least somewhat unlikable over the next several books.

Guess I'll spoilerify my response, though won't post any blatant spoilers.

I think in both cases "horribly incompetent" isn't justified. Inexperienced might be a better term. Rob is quite competent at war strategy, but not dealing with political crises and his youthful passion made him make that one really big blunder. You know the one. Dany is quite competent, but she lacks experience and is fully aware of that fact, which is why she opted to get some before heading to Westeros.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2012, 03:29:53 am »
Ignore

I'm imagining something like Ralph Bakshi's take on LOTR. I'd watch.

I was thinking more like a cross between a Ray Harryhausen creature flick and old-school Doctor Who.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
АverroŽs Nix
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2012, 10:01:59 pm »
Ignore

Guess I'll spoilerify my response, though won't post any blatant spoilers.

I think in both cases "horribly incompetent" isn't justified. Inexperienced might be a better term. Rob is quite competent at war strategy, but not dealing with political crises and his youthful passion made him make that one really big blunder. You know the one. Dany is quite competent, but she lacks experience and is fully aware of that fact, which is why she opted to get some before heading to Westeros.

A fair point. There's some potential for both Robb and Dany to develop into better leaders. But while Robb's adeptness at leading his men into battle is unquestionable, some of the events in ACoK suggest that he's beginning to lose the confidence of his bannermen  (and I think it's easy to overrate him as a strategist). In any case, Robb would be at least as unprepared for the Iron Throne as Robert Baratheon was.

Dany's a somewhat different story - I'm not at all sure where she's going, but I think that it's clear that she isn't ready to be queen yet. And she's more similar to her brother than most readers are willing to acknowledge. Incompetent isn't the right word, but by the time at which she'll be ready to make an attempt at re-taking Westeros, the War of the 5 Kings will be long over.

PS: I am using my late mother's Facebook account due to the difficulty of changing identities on Facebook. She has yet to complain.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2012, 11:55:23 pm »
Ignore

Hmm, after watching the episodes thru Season 2, Episode 7 it seems that Theon is quite crazy as well ... Tongue I thought he'd be more of the good ones.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2012, 12:40:58 am »
Ignore

Yeah, that wasn't what I was expecting from him either.  I don't know what happens to him, but I've heard the audience will end up feeling sorry for the guy.  I'm not sure how that's possible after what he does in season 2.

Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
YaBB God
Spain

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2012, 07:06:23 am »
Ignore

I'm watching the 8th episode of Season 2, and, for the moment, I support Daenerys Targaryen and Robb Stark. I'll read the books this summer, I can't wait until 2013. And my favourite character is, by far, Arya Stark, followed by Daenerys and Tyrion Lannister.

My evolution (by The Political Matrix):
E: -6.06 -> -6.97 -> -6.97 -> -8.13 -> -7.29 -> -8.26 -> -8.65 -> -7.03
S: -6.78 -> -6.09 -> -7.30 -> -7.13 -> -8.09 -> -8.35 -> -9.04 -> -8.61
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout