The Failure of Tippecanoe
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:03:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Failure of Tippecanoe
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Failure of Tippecanoe  (Read 4961 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 11, 2012, 10:29:26 PM »
« edited: May 12, 2012, 11:13:55 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

This is based on Mechaman and Cathcons awesome timelines.
President Van Buren was in trouble, and he knew it. The economic depression had made his administration highly unpopular. His Vice President, Richard Mentor Johnson, was frequently the center of scandals, including his attempt to have a friend whom he owed money promoted in the military. At the 1840 Democratic convention, which convened in the city of Baltimore, on May 5th, 1840. The convention selected President Van Buren has its nominee unanimously, but were divided on who should be chosen for Vice President. At former President Jacksons urging, Tennessee Governor James Polk was asked to be Vice President, and he was nominated for the position with little opposition.

President Martin Van Buren of New York and Governor James Polk of Tennessee-the Democratic ticket for the White House in 1840.

The Whig Party convention was held much earlier, in December of 1839. They picked former Senator William Henry Harrison of Ohio for President. Harrison, a former military commander known as “the Hero of Tippecanoe”, chose General Winfield Scott as his running mate to reinforce his image as a military leader.

Former Senator William Henry Harrison of Ohio and General Winfield Scott of New Jersey-The Whig ticket for President in 1840.

Harrison’s campaign attempted to rally both eastern bankers and western farmers against Van Buren, who was seen as uncaring, and out of touch. Harrison promoted his “log cabin” lifestyle, and Van Buren’s supporters retaliated, referring to him as “Grandpapa” and even hinting at senility. In October, Harrison fell ill, and for a while, it was feared he was close to death. These fears were the final push needed, and despite all odds, Martin Van Buren was reelected in an extremely tight race.

President Martin Van Buren (D-NY)/Governor James Polk (D-TE)-165 Electoral Votes, 50.3% of the popular vote.
Former Senator William H. Harrison (W-OH)/General Winfield Scott (W-NJ)-129 Electoral Votes, 49.7% of the popular vote.

Martin Van Buren, 8th President of the United States.
President Van Buren was inaugurated for a second term in March of 1841. Only five days into his presidency, the Amistad case (in which slaves on the Spanish ship Amistad revolted and took over the ship, sailing it towards New York) was decided, and the slaves set free. Spain demanded compensation, which President Van Buren ordered Secretary of State John Forsyth to arrange. The United States government eventually compensated Spain for the incident. The House of Representatives, however, voted against the measure.

In August, a bill to reestablish the Bank of the United States passed through Congress. When President Van Buren vetoed the bill, a mob of angry Whigs descended on the White House grounds, causing one of the worst riots ever to take place in Washington, DC. Armed soldiers forced the crowd back at bayonet point. Under considerable stress, President Van Buren fled the capital for the rest of August and most of September. He quietly returned to Washington, to a city deeply divided among party lines.

In December, Van Buren suddenly fell ill with pneumonia. After four days, his conditioned worsened, and Vice President Polk was called to the White House. In the early morning hours of December 12th, President Van Buren died at the age 59. Chief Justice Roger B. Taney swore Vice President Polk into office the same day.

James Polk, 9th President of the United States.
After taking office, President Polk soon fell into conflict with the Whig dominated Congress. Polk favored a reduction of tariffs, while the Whigs vehemently opposed the issue. The Presidents bill to create an Independent Treasury (free of banks) was halted by Congress. President Polk, in return, vetoed a bill supported by the Whigs which demanded the military act immediately if any state threatens nullification. 1842 saw the Whigs retain control of Congress.

Troubles in Oregon began to make waves in Washington. The region was disputed between Great Britain and the United States. Several skirmishes between British and American settlers in the region lead to severe strain between the two nations. The Treaty of Amsterdam solved the crisis, when the US purchased the region for a hefty sum. It was organized into the Oregon Territory.

The 1844 Democratic convention convened in Philadelphia, and nominated President James Polk for President, and New York Governor Silas Wright, for Vice President. The Whigs nominated General Winfield Scott for President, and Senator Henry Clay for Vice President.

President James Polk of Tennessee and Governor Silas Wright of New York-the Democratoc candidates for President and Vice President in 1844.

General Winfield Scott of New Jersey and Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky-the Whig nominees for President and Vice President.

The campaign was less vitriolic then the previous election, and Polk remained highly popular. He cruised to victory.

President James Polk (D-TE)/Governor Silas Wright (D-NY)-200 Electoral Votes, 53.4% of the popular vote.
General Winfield Scott (W-NJ)/Senator Henry Clay (W-KY)-75 Electoral Votes, 46.6% of the popular vote.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 10:38:20 PM »

Awesome work man! Please continue!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 03:13:12 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2012, 04:11:04 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

After President Polk was elected for a term in his own right, foreign policy issues begin to take center focus. In Texas, calls for American annexation began to grow. The President and many Democrats spoke favorably to bringing in Texas to the Union. Whigs, on the other hand, greatly opposed these measures. Despite the opposition, Texas was admitted to the Union as the 28th state. Florida, Wisconsin, and Iowa would also become states during the Presidency of James Polk.

Soon after Texas was admitted to the Union, a dispute over the boundaries of Mexico and the United States began. According to Mexico, the United States border extended only to the Nueces River. The United States claimed all the way to the Rio Grande, however. General Santa Anna, the former dictator of Mexico, took control of the army, and marched into the disputed region between the two rivers, boldly declaring it a province of Mexico. In retaliation, President Polk asked for a declaration of war, which he received after an incredibly close vote in Congress.

Immediately, an expedition led by General John Freemont set out westward, capturing Santa Fe, in December of 1845. They pushed onward, leaving only a small garrison behind in Santa Fe, before capturing Tucson, and in mid February, San Diego. Having sealed off California from the South, General Kearny’s cavalry moved in, crossing from Fort Leavenworth, Kansas over what is now Utah and Nevada towards San Francisco, which was occupied on March 11th, 1846.

General Zachary Taylor led the US army over the Rio Grande that Spring, marching on Palo Alto, where he engaged and defeated General Santa Anna. Chasing Santa Anna deep within Mexico’s interior, he defeated him again at the Battle of Buena Vista. While Santa Anna retreated further and further into Mexico, Taylor was forced to withdraw as his supply lines were becoming exposed.

As the war began to stall over the Summer, President Polk ordered General Winfield Scott, his former Whig rival, to invade Vera Cruz by sea. In November, a squadron of the US Navy sailed out from New Orleans bound for Vera Cruz. The city fell after a bloody battle (in fact, General Scott was injured twice), and soon after, the former America attackers became the defenders when the Mexican army counter-attacked. The second battle of Vera Cruz was a decisive win for the American military, and Scott chased the Mexicans to Mexico City, which fell on Christmas Day, 1847. Mexico was brought to the negotiation table, and on March 15th, 1848, the Treaty of Caracas was signed. Mexico was forced to cede California, and all of its western lands, in addition to accepting the Rio Grande as the American border. The victory was just in time for an election year…

General Scott was the odds on favorite to win the nomination of the Whig Party, but he declined, citing his poor health. The Whigs nominated Senator Henry Clay (W-KY) for President, and Senator Daniel Webster (W-MA) for Vice President at their convention in Philadelphia.

Senator Henry Clay of Kentucky and Senator Daniel Webster of Massachusetts two political giants, and the nominees of the Whig Party for the 1848 Presidential Election.

The Democrats gathered in Washington DC, and held a tense convention. Three powerful candidates-Secretary of State James Buchanan, Senator Lewis Cass, and Vice President Silas Wright battled for the nomination. On the fourth ballot, the party nominated Vice President Wright for the Presidency, and former Senator Franklin Pierce of New Hampshire for Vice President.

Vice President Silas Wright of New York, and Senator Franklin Pierce of New Hampshire.

Vice President Silas Wright (D-NY)/Former Senator Franklin Pierce (D-NH)-186 Electoral Votes, 52.6% of the popular vote.
Senator Henry Clay (W-KY)/Senator Daniel Webster (W-MA)-104 Electoral Votes, 47.4% of the popular vote.

The victory of Wright was symbolic for the Democrats-indeed, it was their sixth Presidential victory in a row. The Democrats, under Jackson, Van Buren, and Polk, became the party of Manifest Destiny, and the party of “the common man”.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 03:46:35 PM »

WI was only at 30% because Marty VB was running on the FS ticket. Are you not changing the PV map percentages?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 04:13:08 PM »

WI was only at 30% because Marty VB was running on the FS ticket. Are you not changing the PV map percentages?
I always forget that Tongue Thanks Smiley SC will remain the way it is, because the state legislature would decide who got the states electoral votes. I will edit the code a bit more to make it more accurate.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2012, 09:15:52 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

The victory of Wright was symbolic for the Democrats-indeed, it was their sixth Presidential victory in a row. The Democrats, under Jackson, Van Buren, and Polk, became the party of Manifest Destiny, and the party of “the common man”.

Congress, however, was in a messier situation. The Democrats took control of the House of Representatives, but it was not enough to win the Speakership outright, as the Free Soil Party had won 18 seats in the House. After numerous ballots, they joined with the Democrats, and Howell Cobb of Georgia’s 6th congressional district was elected Speaker of the House. The Democrats held control of the Senate.

President Wright’s term would be wracked over the question of slavery. The Senate was perfectly balanced, with 15 slave states, and 15 free states. When California petitioned to join the Union, uproar on both sides of the issue occurred. If California joined, it would offset the balance, and give free states a majority in the Senate. Northerners blamed Southerners for delaying statehood to preserve slavery; on the other hand, Southerners blamed the North for trying to dismantle their way of life.

Senator Daniel Webster was the first to reach a compromise. The western half of Virginia would be split off, and become a slave state, known as West Virginia. California would be admitted as a free state. The compromise was popular in California, but in the new state of West Virginia, the situation was less then pleasing. Western Virginia was much more abhorrent of slavery then the eastern part of the state, and the fact that slavery was now legal in their new state was infuriating to many of the residents. A series of small riots occurred when the state ratified its constitution, which was largely written by pro slavery planters who did not even live in the new state!

The Wright Presidency was also marked by frequent fighting in Congress over tariffs. President Wright opposed increasing protective tariffs, and vetoed several bills by the Whig Congress (who won control of both houses in the 1850 elections) attempting to raise them. He also vetoed a bill that would overturn the fugitive slave laws.

The Whigs were becoming increasingly divided. The "Old Guard", like Congressman Abraham Lincoln (W-IL) favored an outright abolition of slavery, tariffs, and public works projects, including a proposed transcontinental railroad. Moderates, lead by General Zachary Taylor, declared such ideas “dead” and wanted to “modernize” the party platform. At the 1852 Whig Convention, in New York City, Congressman Lincoln was nominated for President, and former New York Governor William Seward was nominated for Vice President.

Angered over Lincoln’s nomination several of the moderate Whigs, including General Taylor, left the party and threatened to create a new third party. Such plans never came to fruition.

President Wright shocked Democrats when he announced he would not seek a second term. At the Democratic convention in Baltimore, Vice President Franklin Pierce was nominated for President, and West Virginia Senator Allen Caperton was nominated for Vice President.

Congressman Abraham Lincoln (W-IL)/Former Governor William Seward (W-NY)-195 Electoral Votes, 53.2% of the popular vote.
Vice President Franklin Pierce (D-NH)/Senator Allen Caperton (D-WV)-101 Electoral Votes, 46.8% of the popular vote.

Abraham Lincoln, 12th President of the United States.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 08:52:35 PM »

Lincoln was hardly a radical, but continue. Smiley
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 09:18:30 PM »

Yeah, I have to admit that this was not thoroughly researched (I kinda jumped into it late last night). My main focus, which is about a third Clinton term is on halt due to boredom with it. In this timeline, the Whig Party is moderating itself closer to the Democrats in order to win (the Jackson-Van Buren-Polk-Wrights policies regarding expansion are highly popular). Thus, Lincoln is forced into the “radical” faction, which I have promptly renamed “old guard”, seeing as they are actually already in charge of the party.

West Virginia was a hard nut to crack. The map editing was easy, but I don’t know much about its politics before the civil war. I know it was very anti slavery due to a large population of poor farmers, but I was forced to go along with it, because I could not add New Mexico in with any map earlier then 1912.

The political situation is less and less Whig and Democrat, and more and more North and South. Both want to expand their “ways of life” on the west. This is leading to a growing divide, and whether or not it will be healed is up to the next couple of Presidents.

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 10:19:27 PM »

As I recall, WV really had no use for slaves in the first place since it was made up mountaineers and whatnot, which is why it ended up being loyal to the Union and voted Republican straight, 1864 to 1872. It was only 1876 as I recall that it became a swing state. Maybe Kansas could work as the new slave state?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 10:49:48 PM »

As I recall, WV really had no use for slaves in the first place since it was made up mountaineers and whatnot, which is why it ended up being loyal to the Union and voted Republican straight, 1864 to 1872. It was only 1876 as I recall that it became a swing state. Maybe Kansas could work as the new slave state?

Problem is, I can't get Kansas on a map until 1864, and by that time, WV is already its own state. So Kansas can't work, sadly. I might be mistaken, but I remember seeing NYC on one of these maps as a state (in fact, I think it was you who created it), similar to DC. I don't plan on adding that to the timeline as of now, but is such an addition possible?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 11:00:38 PM »

Problem is, I can't get Kansas on a map until 1864, and by that time, WV is already its own state. So Kansas can't work, sadly. I might be mistaken, but I remember seeing NYC on one of these maps as a state (in fact, I think it was you who created it), similar to DC. I don't plan on adding that to the timeline as of now, but is such an addition possible?

I actually think you may be thinking of a map I made. What I did was copy the map to Microsoft Paint and edit it from there. By pressing the "Screen Shot" or "PrntScr" ("Print Screen) button at the top right of your keyboard, you can copy the entire screen into paint. You remove the map and put it into a different document and edit it any way you want. All I did was past some numbers next to Manhattan Island.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 11:08:20 PM »

I actually think you may be thinking of a map I made. What I did was copy the map to Microsoft Paint and edit it from there. By pressing the "Screen Shot" or "PrntScr" ("Print Screen) button at the top right of your keyboard, you can copy the entire screen into paint. You remove the map and put it into a different document and edit it any way you want. All I did was past some numbers next to Manhattan Island.
Yeah, I might fiddle around with this. Thanks Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 11:01:57 AM »

This is based on Mechaman and Cathcons awesome timelines.

Didn't notice this. Thanks. Smiley
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 05:33:13 PM »

Keep it up!
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »

We need more timelines from the 1800s. Keep up the good work!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2012, 09:45:33 PM »

Thanks for the encouragement, but I am going to abandon this project. I just jumped into it. I did launch a new mini-timeline though Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies