Election Projection has Romney winning PV but Obama winning EV
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:39:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Election Projection has Romney winning PV but Obama winning EV
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Election Projection has Romney winning PV but Obama winning EV  (Read 7301 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 12:39:10 PM »

At this point Romney winning a popular majority and still losing the EV isn't out of the question.

Now all the Romney campaign has to do is translate a lead in the PV into a lead in the EV and they are in.

I wonder if you're going to offer us something more than another empty quite.

I could make an issue out of your word error like you did with mine but that would be rude so I won't.

I could say "guess whose talking", but that'd be rude too.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 02:55:11 PM »

At this point Romney winning a popular majority and still losing the EV isn't out of the question.

Now all the Romney campaign has to do is translate a lead in the PV into a lead in the EV and they are in.

I could make an issue out of your word error like you did with mine but that would be rude so I won't.

I could say guess who makes more grammatical and spelling errors on this forum than anyone else, but that would be rude, so I won't.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 03:02:43 PM »
« Edited: May 13, 2012, 03:04:21 PM by Calveit »

I could say guess who makes more grammatical and spelling errors on this forum than anyone else, but that would be rude, so I won't.

I could say that at least I put some efforts in learning a foreign language, very differing from my mother's tongue, but that would be rude as well.

Fortunately, neither you and me are rude.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »

I could say that at least I put some efforts in learning a foreign language, very differing from my mother's tongue, but that would be rude as well.

And I admire you for your efforts.  Keep up the good work.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 05:44:38 PM »

This guy also messed up the 2006 elections pretty badly... but that still makes him 3-1. Also have to consider the motives of this. He probably wants Obama to lose, but wants the Republicans to be punished for nominating someone who is just as conservative instead of more conservative than their last successful nominee.

This is not accurate. I followed his site closely in 2006 and he got the Senate 100% right, his projections had the Democrats taking the House and he got every Governorship right except Minnesota.

You must be confusing his "projections" (based off a mathematical formula combining polling, partisanship and back then approval ratings) and his personal "predictions" (what his gut tells him).
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »

That being said, the guy does have some quality control issues, especially at this point in the season. As an example, he has MA painted as having a GOP house pickup, yet no such change is listed below. This is a result of him having less time to devote to the site and thus less time to read up on events concerning each seat and update regularly prior to the primaries and such. Once the primaries are completed, the forumlaic projections take over and he fixes any misplaced candidate lists and miscolored states.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2012, 06:18:19 PM »

That being said, the guy does have some quality control issues, especially at this point in the season. As an example, he has MA painted as having a GOP house pickup, yet no such change is listed below. This is a result of him having less time to devote to the site and thus less time to read up on events concerning each seat and update regularly prior to the primaries and such. Once the primaries are completed, the forumlaic projections take over and he fixes any misplaced candidate lists and miscolored states.

No, he explained that somewhere -- it's the same reason Louisiana is marked as 1 Democratic gain. Massachusetts loses 1 Democratic seat, so it's counted as R+1 (actually, Massachusetts is D-1, but in American politics D-1 = R+1). Louisiana loses 1 Republican seat, so it's counted as D+1 for the same reason. The formulaic projections have already begun.

This guy also messed up the 2006 elections pretty badly... but that still makes him 3-1. Also have to consider the motives of this. He probably wants Obama to lose, but wants the Republicans to be punished for nominating someone who is just as conservative instead of more conservative than their last successful nominee.

This is not accurate. I followed his site closely in 2006 and he got the Senate 100% right, his projections had the Democrats taking the House and he got every Governorship right except Minnesota.

You must be confusing his "projections" (based off a mathematical formula combining polling, partisanship and back then approval ratings) and his personal "predictions" (what his gut tells him).

Yeah. In 2006, his 'projections' were quite accurate, but he repeatedly voiced his opinion that the polls (and the projections based off them) were wrong and that Republicans would retain Congress. His opinion was wrong, but he doesn't base the projections off of opinions, but off of facts. He was more pessimistic in 2008.

And I admire you for your efforts.  Keep up the good work.

Kalwejt speaks better English than the average Brighton Beach resident.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2012, 02:01:13 AM »

Fortunately, neither you and me or I are rude.
Wink
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 02:10:03 AM »

Fortunately, neither you and me nor I are rude.
Wink
Wink
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2012, 10:11:27 AM »

Fortunately, neither you and me or I are rude.
Wink

Jokes aside, I actually own a lot to you guys regarding improving my English,
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2012, 03:59:17 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2012, 04:08:03 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

No, he explained that somewhere -- it's the same reason Louisiana is marked as 1 Democratic gain. Massachusetts loses 1 Democratic seat, so it's counted as R+1 (actually, Massachusetts is D-1, but in American politics D-1 = R+1). Louisiana loses 1 Republican seat, so it's counted as D+1 for the same reason. The formulaic projections have already begun.

What the hell do you mean no? I guess I just imagined sending him 5 or 6 emails pointing out errors in candidate lists and such back during the 2010 cycle. I may be wrong about the MA example, but my point still stands in general.

The projections have partially started, but it is impossible for them to be fully in place for a particular seat until the primary finishes. For instance, the generic ballot portion is in place as is the partisanship of the state or seat, but not the horserace polling between the candidates, since the candidates haven't been selected in every state yet. I can't remember if he includes the pundit ratings before the primary or not until afterwards.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 04:42:23 PM »

What the hell do you mean no? I guess I just imagined sending him 5 or 6 emails pointing out errors in candidate lists and such back during the 2010 cycle. I may be wrong about the MA example, but my point still stands in general.

The projections have partially started, but it is impossible for them to be fully in place for a particular seat until the primary finishes. For instance, the generic ballot portion is in place as is the partisanship of the state or seat, but not the horserace polling between the candidates, since the candidates haven't been selected in every state yet. I can't remember if he includes the pundit ratings before the primary or not until afterwards.

He includes them (other pundits' ratings) now. And by 'no', I mean 'no'; your example about MA House races is wrong, there's a real reason MA is labeled R+1 even though Republicans don't pick up a seat there. As for candidate lists, I'm not one to deny you sent him 5-6 emails some years ago.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 04:46:58 PM »

He includes them (other pundits' ratings) now. And by 'no', I mean 'no'; your example about MA House races is wrong, there's a real reason MA is labeled R+1 even though Republicans don't pick up a seat there. As for candidate lists, I'm not one to deny you sent him 5-6 emails some years ago.

Even so that is a poor way to display the effects of redistricting in my opinion. Be that as it may, my point is that compared with 2006 when I started following the site and 2010, the quality took a hit as did his regularity of posting, indicating it is induced by lack of time.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies