Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:41:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama Backs Gay Marriage!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]
Author Topic: Obama Backs Gay Marriage!  (Read 32911 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2012, 07:19:12 PM »

I would've sided with King and the Civil Rights movement back in the 1960's and he'd be siding with me now on marriage.

Perhaps you'd like to hear what Coretta Scott King has to say about the subject?  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I reckon she knew more about what he'd think than you do...

Her and MLK disagreed about many an issue. Ask his niece Alvea. On this the left is on the wrong side of history. So come out of your freedom hating delusion.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2012, 01:58:29 AM »

Rand Paul chimes in: http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/gop-senator-i-wasnt-sure-the-presidents-views-o

Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #202 on: May 13, 2012, 02:24:34 AM »

Indeed a freedom loving man.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #203 on: May 13, 2012, 02:53:31 AM »

Why do people think that Rand Paul is a libertarian? He attacks Obama for supporting gay marriage. He supports special tax breaks for oil companies. He wants to ban abortions. He wants to repeal birthright citizenship. I'm sure there are plenty more views like that.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: May 13, 2012, 07:53:28 AM »

I would've sided with King and the Civil Rights movement back in the 1960's and he'd be siding with me now on marriage.

Perhaps you'd like to hear what Coretta Scott King has to say about the subject?  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I reckon she knew more about what he'd think than you do...

Her and MLK disagreed about many an issue. Ask his niece Alvea. On this the left is on the wrong side of history. So come out of your freedom hating delusion.
I'm not sure how the freedom to marry is anti-free.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: May 13, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »

I am so pleased to see that when making Presidential decisions with far reaching consequences for the entire nation that the President depends on the advice of his two daughters, ages 14 and 11.

That really makes me feel confident in the direction the nation is headed.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #206 on: May 13, 2012, 04:03:44 PM »

I am so pleased to see that when making Presidential decisions with far reaching consequences for the entire nation that the President depends on the advice of his two daughters, ages 14 and 11.

That really makes me feel confident in the direction the nation is headed.

Are you self-parodying or do you really not understand the significance of generational concerns, which for most people are expressed in their family relationships, to cultural issues? Weren't you the same person who was defending Mitt Romney having his wife who has never held paid employment as his economic point-woman?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #207 on: May 13, 2012, 04:43:29 PM »

It is very amusing watching the right-wing amateurs in this thread jump from one awkward and pathetic argument to the next, not understanding (or likely caring) how dumb they look.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #208 on: May 13, 2012, 07:00:20 PM »

Oh boy. I read one page of this thread and see someone assuming Martin Luther King Jr.'s position on same-sex marriage, the same person using the founding fathers to justify his crappy position, and a troll using polygamy as bait. At least reading Coretta Scott King's quotes were lovely.

Well, for me the polygamy issue is critial for me in this gay marriage debate.  I main problem with gay marriage is not the position itself but what agenda I preceive is driving it.  In my view gay marriage is more about making the gay lifestyle socially acceptable.  I am very much for the government not dictating who can get married and who could not.  In that sense I am very much for making gay marriage legal.  At the same time I am opposed to using the power of the government to even give the impression that certain social views are acceptable and mainstream and certain views are not.  My concern about gay marriage being about pushing the gay lifestyle agenda can be mitigated if we combine that with polygamy legalization which I also support as well.  The issue should be about free choice and not a lifestyle agenda.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #209 on: May 13, 2012, 09:02:58 PM »

It is very amusing watching the right-wing leftist Obamamaniac amateurs in this thread jump from one awkward and pathetic argument to the next, not understanding (or likely caring) how dumb they look.

Corrected.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #210 on: May 13, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »

It is very amusing watching the right-wing leftist Obamamaniac amateurs in this thread jump from one awkward and pathetic argument to the next, not understanding (or likely caring) how dumb they look.

Corrected.  Applied tired meme that ought to be retired.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2012, 12:03:53 AM »

You assume a rapid, effective, and permanent backlash against same-sex marriage. You cannot assume the direction of the arrow of history.
milhouse24
« Reply #212 on: May 15, 2012, 11:57:55 AM »

Romney donor pulls support, backs Obama, over same-sex marriage according to cnn. I can see more gay donors leaving the romney ship."I feel that I no longer wish to support your presidential campaign and ask that you please return the maximum contribution that I gave to you last year," Bill White wrote in a letter addressed to the former Massachusetts governor and obtained by CNN.

"You have chosen to be on the wrong side of history and I do not support your run for president any longer," White added.

CNN contacted the Romney campaign but did not receive a response.

White is the chairman and CEO of the New York-based consulting firm Constellations Group. He was previously the president of the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum – the cultural and educational institution whose major presence is the floating World War II Intrepid aircraft carrier sitting on the Hudson River. White told CNN he has advocated on behalf of injured and fallen veterans for 20 years - being awarded the Meritorious Public Service Award from the Coast Guard and from the Navy.

White told CNN he is a registered independent who has supported both Republicans and Democrats in the past, including former presidents Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush, Bill Clinton and George W. Bush. FEC records show that White contributed to both Republicans and Democrats over the years, including Hillary Clinton in 2008. Most recently, White gave $2,500 to Romney for President, Inc., according to FEC records.

White began his letter to Romney stating, "I am currently a max donor to your 2012 presidential campaign." He did not fundraise for the Romney campaign, though he said his partner and some friends also contributed to Romney.

In his letter, White goes on to mention the president's public announcement of his personal support for same-sex marriage last week.

I doubt this guy voted for McCain or George W Bush.  They weren't exactly supporting gay marriage.  Even Obama never supported gay marriage in 2008, and is really powerless to change federal laws.  Its just silly, and if White only cares about social issues, then he should have been with Obama all along.  I think its odd that Obama wants to make Gay Rights his primary re-election issue, but its the only thing he's got going for him, even if its all talk and limited action. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies