Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 09:27:13 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Debate (Moderator: Beet)
| | |-+  "Paying for someone else"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Poll
Question: We all have to do this....but what would you rather do?
Pay for someone else to be excluded from society.   -15 (35.7%)
Pay for someone else and perhaps have a small chance of someone for someone to pay me back.   -27 (64.3%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: "Paying for someone else"  (Read 2685 times)
I Can't Believe It's Not Murder!
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:27:03 pm »
Ignore

Well?

Effective policing requires to know when backing down is in the best interest of public safety.  By all accounts, the culture of the Ferguson Police was ignorant of that fact, and instead treated Cartman of South Park as a role model for how to be a police officer.
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 02:40:25 pm »
Ignore

What? I get this is some bated illegal immigration question, but please help me decipher option two.

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:18:12 pm »
Ignore

Could you word these loaded questions better?

Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:11:53 pm »
Ignore

Ok. I'll be up front. I'm tired of people talking about being forced  to pay for a total stranger's healthcare or education when they are more than happy to pay to have a total stranger killed or destroyed in some other way.

Effective policing requires to know when backing down is in the best interest of public safety.  By all accounts, the culture of the Ferguson Police was ignorant of that fact, and instead treated Cartman of South Park as a role model for how to be a police officer.
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:00:31 am »
Ignore

Ok. I'll be up front. I'm tired of people talking about being forced  to pay for a total stranger's healthcare or education when they are more than happy to pay to have a total stranger killed or destroyed in some other way.

Especially since the vast majority of these complainers have "had someone else pay for them" some point in their lifetime.
Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:51:04 am »
Ignore

Ok. I'll be up front. I'm tired of people talking about being forced  to pay for a total stranger's healthcare or education when they are more than happy to pay to have a total stranger killed or destroyed in some other way.

I suppose Option #1 as a sort of protest vote, since you clearly intend to have people vote for Option #2. Funnily enough, I'm tired of the exact opposite view you're tired of. And I'm tired of Internet incoherency.

Illegally selling arms to North Korea, providing most of the money to anti-Morales rebels in Bolivia, and using the remainder as hush money for his three ex-mistrisses. 
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:19:50 am »
Ignore

I guess you could say that option #1 is basically someone paying for a benefit for themselves...paying the state to "take out their trash". Then again, that's "three hots and a cot" for some 'tard, isn't it?

This is probably why capital punishment is so popular amongst antiabortion neoliberal nationalists who would be prinicipally opposed to anything that goes against their priniciples otherwise.

but another argument could be made that you are paying off the trash when you do "pay for someone else".

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:18:46 am »
Ignore

It  is a bit of a misunderstanding to say that one can 'pay for someone else'.  If you have money beyond subsistence (say in the US anything over 30k-50k/year), you already have a privilege taken from someone else, and certainly all of the vast incomes of the owners are 'paid by someone else' - namely those they control through ownership.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Camerlengo Alfred, Archbishop of Rochester
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:50:18 pm »
Ignore

It  is a bit of a misunderstanding to say that one can 'pay for someone else'.  If you have money beyond subsistence (say in the US anything over 30k-50k/year), you already have a privilege taken from someone else, and certainly all of the vast incomes of the owners are 'paid by someone else' - namely those they control through ownership.

Do you believe that you don't have the right to anything beyond a basic living?

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

Lowly Griff
Adam Griffin
YaBB God
Greece

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:11:04 pm »
Ignore

As opebo said, it's a privilege, not a right. A better question would be: do you believe that everyone has the right to a basic living? When an individual earns or accumulates more than the average individual's salary or net worth, imbalance and inequality are created due to the fact there is now less money available in the economy to provide that basic quality of life to the same number of people. Wealth doesn't grow on trees; while it increases nominally, the increase relative to population increases makes it virtually stagnant.

Modern taxation - specifically progressive taxation - exists to make sure money continues to move around in a capitalist economy without being hoarded by those who can afford to hoard it.

So in summary: No, no one has the right to anything beyond a basic/average living because:

a) there is no way to guarantee that economic right
b) for every person given that economic right, there will be at least one person who will have theirs stripped away

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 02:23:02 pm »
Ignore

No, I believe that superlative incomes - particularly those derived from ownership, but not only those - are derived from the enslavement of the working class.  The privilege that the upper class receives is in fact control of the majority - the fact that we call it 'income' or 'wealth' is just window-dressing.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Camerlengo Alfred, Archbishop of Rochester
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 08:04:46 am »
Ignore

No, I believe that superlative incomes - particularly those derived from ownership, but not only those - are derived from the enslavement of the working class.  The privilege that the upper class receives is in fact control of the majority - the fact that we call it 'income' or 'wealth' is just window-dressing.
Oh, OK. I though you ere talking about the working class taking from the poor.

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 04:58:16 am »
Ignore

Well because paying for a total strangers healthcare or education brings no discernible benefit to the person paying for them. On the other hand, paying to have your trash taken out does benefit the person, or to have someone who is a danger to society executed.

Economic score: +6.58
Social score: +5.04
Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 10:46:20 am »
Ignore

Well because paying for a total strangers healthcare or education brings no discernible benefit to the person paying for them. On the other hand, paying to have your trash taken out does benefit the person, or to have someone who is a danger to society executed.

Laughably incorrect.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 10:50:36 am »
Ignore

Please back up your fantasy claims with facts on this issue.

Laughably incorrect.

Franzl
YaBB God
Germany

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 10:55:06 am »
Ignore

You can't figure out why having a well educatedvand healthy society is beneficial in general? Really?
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 11:20:46 am »
Ignore

You can't figure out why having a well educatedvand healthy society is beneficial in general? Really?

It would be. However this almost never turns out to be the case. Also I would rather keep more of my own money and spend it on what I want, instead of what the state wants.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:07 pm »
Ignore

It would be. However this almost never turns out to be the case. Also I would rather keep more of my own money and spend it on what I want, instead of what the state wants.

You as a Sovereign Individual (tm) can't pay for an ordered and peaceful society even if you want to.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 12:43:25 pm »
Ignore

You as a Sovereign Individual (tm) can't pay for an ordered and peaceful society even if you want to.

Witty barbs aside, what I mean is I would rather save some additional money for myself, or spend it on a holiday or a car, than pay for the education, healthcare and benefits of slum-dwelling drug addicts.

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 01:12:14 pm »
Ignore

Witty barbs aside, what I mean is I would rather save some additional money for myself, or spend it on a holiday or a car, than pay for the education, healthcare and benefits of slum-dwelling drug addicts.

There is no word that can express my feeling on reading this.

HashCAN     americans saw the EP elections and people cringing at Europeans being morons and electing Nazis; so they massively said "NO" and decided to prove that they're still bigger morons

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »
Ignore

I have done the impossible............Silenced a left-winger.....

Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 01:24:32 pm »
Ignore

I have done the impossible............Silenced a left-winger.....

If this is your goal at life, you can legitimately be proud of yourself.

HashCAN     americans saw the EP elections and people cringing at Europeans being morons and electing Nazis; so they massively said "NO" and decided to prove that they're still bigger morons

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 01:26:10 pm »
Ignore

I win! Smiley

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 03:00:10 pm »
Ignore

I wonder what it's like experiencing life as an actively awful person.

shua
YaBB God
Kuwait

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 04:04:06 pm »
Ignore

I'd personally be happier to spend money to help provide something like healthcare or education than killing or excluding someone from society. However, defense and criminal justice is an essential function of government, whereas charity is not.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 04:09:41 pm by shua, gm »Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout