Is the Democrat Party influenced by Marx?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:22:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is the Democrat Party influenced by Marx?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Is the Democrat Party influenced by Marx?  (Read 9661 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »

The Republican Party is influenced by Ayn Rand, who is objectively more horrible than Marx (who pretty much all Democrats, btw, have wanted nothing to do with since the 1940s) as well as more influential.
Rand's influence for most people isn't in terms of anything she came up with that was particularly unique, and certainly nothing worth comparing to the lasting historical influence of Marxism.

Though, I don't think Ayn Rand was into opposition to abortion, homosexuality or science. Though, outside of cultural issues, she was very Republican. Very pro-ifyouarenotwithusyouareagainstus and very anti-peoplewhocan'ttakecareofthemselves. 

Or, in shorter terms, batsh*t insane.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2012, 10:46:34 AM »

Ayn Rand was actually intensely anti-gay, though I haven't made enough of a study of her to be sure why exactly.

I think it may have just been because she was a horrible person.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2012, 11:20:55 AM »
« Edited: August 11, 2012, 11:22:48 AM by Redalgo »

Looooooooooooooooooooool

Like a tiny minority of Democrats are even hard-progressive like Bernie Sanders.  And most people who subscribe to Marxism would not be caught dead calling themselves Democrats.

Yeah, basically. Aside from that, Marx's legacy is of such significance and breadth across several fields of study that I can probably say with some degree of confidence that I've never discussed politics with anyone who has not at all been influenced by him, in one respect or another.

Being influenced by others does not mean one has to agree with them on most (or any) matters.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2012, 11:29:19 AM »

That's exactly what's wrong with Morgan's post, though.  Everyone, including especially the most ardent of Marx's critics, are heavily influenced by him, because his work is so seminal.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies