"Paying for someone else"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:58:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  "Paying for someone else"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: We all have to do this....but what would you rather do?
Pay for someone else to be excluded from society.

Pay for someone else and perhaps have a small chance of someone for someone to pay me back.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: "Paying for someone else"  (Read 7915 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 13, 2012, 02:27:03 PM »

Well?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »

What? I get this is some bated illegal immigration question, but please help me decipher option two.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:18:12 PM »

Could you word these loaded questions better?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 08:11:53 PM »

Ok. I'll be up front. I'm tired of people talking about being forced  to pay for a total stranger's healthcare or education when they are more than happy to pay to have a total stranger killed or destroyed in some other way.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:00:31 AM »

Ok. I'll be up front. I'm tired of people talking about being forced  to pay for a total stranger's healthcare or education when they are more than happy to pay to have a total stranger killed or destroyed in some other way.

Especially since the vast majority of these complainers have "had someone else pay for them" some point in their lifetime.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 05:51:04 AM »

Ok. I'll be up front. I'm tired of people talking about being forced  to pay for a total stranger's healthcare or education when they are more than happy to pay to have a total stranger killed or destroyed in some other way.

I suppose Option #1 as a sort of protest vote, since you clearly intend to have people vote for Option #2. Funnily enough, I'm tired of the exact opposite view you're tired of. And I'm tired of Internet incoherency.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 11:19:50 AM »

I guess you could say that option #1 is basically someone paying for a benefit for themselves...paying the state to "take out their trash". Then again, that's "three hots and a cot" for some 'tard, isn't it?

This is probably why capital punishment is so popular amongst antiabortion neoliberal nationalists who would be prinicipally opposed to anything that goes against their priniciples otherwise.

but another argument could be made that you are paying off the trash when you do "pay for someone else".
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:18:46 AM »

It  is a bit of a misunderstanding to say that one can 'pay for someone else'.  If you have money beyond subsistence (say in the US anything over 30k-50k/year), you already have a privilege taken from someone else, and certainly all of the vast incomes of the owners are 'paid by someone else' - namely those they control through ownership.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »

It  is a bit of a misunderstanding to say that one can 'pay for someone else'.  If you have money beyond subsistence (say in the US anything over 30k-50k/year), you already have a privilege taken from someone else, and certainly all of the vast incomes of the owners are 'paid by someone else' - namely those they control through ownership.

Do you believe that you don't have the right to anything beyond a basic living?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 02:11:04 PM »

As opebo said, it's a privilege, not a right. A better question would be: do you believe that everyone has the right to a basic living? When an individual earns or accumulates more than the average individual's salary or net worth, imbalance and inequality are created due to the fact there is now less money available in the economy to provide that basic quality of life to the same number of people. Wealth doesn't grow on trees; while it increases nominally, the increase relative to population increases makes it virtually stagnant.

Modern taxation - specifically progressive taxation - exists to make sure money continues to move around in a capitalist economy without being hoarded by those who can afford to hoard it.

So in summary: No, no one has the right to anything beyond a basic/average living because:

a) there is no way to guarantee that economic right
b) for every person given that economic right, there will be at least one person who will have theirs stripped away
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 02:23:02 PM »

No, I believe that superlative incomes - particularly those derived from ownership, but not only those - are derived from the enslavement of the working class.  The privilege that the upper class receives is in fact control of the majority - the fact that we call it 'income' or 'wealth' is just window-dressing.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »

No, I believe that superlative incomes - particularly those derived from ownership, but not only those - are derived from the enslavement of the working class.  The privilege that the upper class receives is in fact control of the majority - the fact that we call it 'income' or 'wealth' is just window-dressing.
Oh, OK. I though you ere talking about the working class taking from the poor.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 04:58:16 AM »

Well because paying for a total strangers healthcare or education brings no discernible benefit to the person paying for them. On the other hand, paying to have your trash taken out does benefit the person, or to have someone who is a danger to society executed.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 10:46:20 AM »

Well because paying for a total strangers healthcare or education brings no discernible benefit to the person paying for them. On the other hand, paying to have your trash taken out does benefit the person, or to have someone who is a danger to society executed.

Laughably incorrect.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 10:50:36 AM »

Please back up your fantasy claims with facts on this issue.

Laughably incorrect.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 10:55:06 AM »

You can't figure out why having a well educatedvand healthy society is beneficial in general? Really?
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 11:20:46 AM »

You can't figure out why having a well educatedvand healthy society is beneficial in general? Really?

It would be. However this almost never turns out to be the case. Also I would rather keep more of my own money and spend it on what I want, instead of what the state wants.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 12:41:07 PM »

It would be. However this almost never turns out to be the case. Also I would rather keep more of my own money and spend it on what I want, instead of what the state wants.

You as a Sovereign Individual (tm) can't pay for an ordered and peaceful society even if you want to.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 12:43:25 PM »

You as a Sovereign Individual (tm) can't pay for an ordered and peaceful society even if you want to.

Witty barbs aside, what I mean is I would rather save some additional money for myself, or spend it on a holiday or a car, than pay for the education, healthcare and benefits of slum-dwelling drug addicts.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 01:12:14 PM »

Witty barbs aside, what I mean is I would rather save some additional money for myself, or spend it on a holiday or a car, than pay for the education, healthcare and benefits of slum-dwelling drug addicts.

There is no word that can express my feeling on reading this.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 01:19:23 PM »

I have done the impossible............Silenced a left-winger.....
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 01:24:32 PM »

I have done the impossible............Silenced a left-winger.....

If this is your goal at life, you can legitimately be proud of yourself.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »

I win! Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 03:00:10 PM »

I wonder what it's like experiencing life as an actively awful person.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2012, 04:09:41 PM by shua, gm »

I'd personally be happier to spend money to help provide something like healthcare or education than killing or excluding someone from society. However, defense and criminal justice is an essential function of government, whereas charity is not.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies