The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:48:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 80
Author Topic: The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 261175 times)
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: January 05, 2013, 05:41:06 PM »
« edited: January 05, 2013, 05:56:29 PM by Oldiesfreak1854 »

Racism, like most isms, is not binary. Nixon's objective was to walk the tightrope between Humphrey's strong and longstanding record on Civil Rights and Wallace. Nixon positioned himself as a happy medium. His racism was just right Smiley
Nixon was not a racist.  He actually had a much better civil rights record as president than LBJ.  Here's a Nixon campaign ad from 1960 to prove that:
http://www.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=%2F#/watch?v=dAlZHfaksQM

If he supported civil rights in 1960, then what makes you think he would have such an about-face in just eight years?  I think much of he Nixon-as-racist myth comes from the fact that Nixon simply makes an easy pinata for left-wing historians because of Watergate.  But that doesn't change the fact that Nixon was one of our best presidents on civl rights.  
Continually quoting his talk on this type of stuff here is kind of beating a dead horse but:

WND and National Review?  Nice unbiased, intellectually honest sources you got there.

1980 had Carter at the top of the ticket (as well as John Anderson to slow the flight of moderate northerners to the Democratic Party, in a counterpoint to Wallace), and as I already mentioned, he ran the most Southern and evangelical candidacy probably ever.  Any other Dem candidate, and the patterns would likely have emerged eight years sooner- and they already had started emerging in the Northeast, he mainly just held onto the South at the expense of not taking the West Coast.

And, of course, the Southern Strategy is undisputed fact.
No, it's not.  Nixon trying to pander to racists with Wallace in the race would be like a Republican presidential canidate campaigning in California or a Democrat in Texas today.  The Southern strategy was about winning the pro-civil rights moderates who had moved to the South after WWII as a protest against the segregationist Democrats.
It's true, though.  THe white racists were already safely in Wallace's column.

Debunked in the original thread. And I was referring primarily to the last sentence, which only makes sense if you consider Strom Thurmond a pro-civil rights moderate. And completely ignore what Nixon's political strategist said.
Which of Nixon's strategists?  Don't say Lee Atwater because he was only 17 in 1968, so he couldn't have been one of Nixon's strategists.  And the simple fact is, plenty of moderate Northerners moved to the South in the 50s and 60s, and they were much more inclined to support civil rights, and thus Republican candidates.  So my explanatio  makes perfect sense, and it's also what another Nixon strategist (Pat Buchanan) said about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Phillips_(political_commentator)

You must be logged in to read this quote.
He may have said that, but it would have made no sense for Nixon to do that, so he was in the minority on wantinf to pursue that kind of course.  And remember what LBJ said about blacks after signing the '64 CRA:
And this one is from Theodore White's 1968 edition of The Making of the President, which was written during the 1968 campagin.  I doubt he was a right-winger, considering his background, but here's the quote:

Finally, why do you accuse me of having unreliable sources when you're citing Wikipedia as one of yours?
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1126 on: January 05, 2013, 06:19:17 PM »

3. What I've said is backed up by historical evidence.  I realize that there are bad Republicans and good Democrats, but those people seem to be in the minority, in my opinion.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1127 on: January 05, 2013, 06:30:40 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1128 on: January 05, 2013, 07:18:19 PM »

Came here to post this.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1129 on: January 06, 2013, 06:06:19 PM »

One think that confuses me is why hispanics voted for Obama overwhelmingly. First off, he is black, in LA I have heard of tensions between blacks and hispanics.

What specifically gives him appeal to hispanics?
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #1130 on: January 06, 2013, 08:47:00 PM »

If the Reform party gets its act together then yes NY will become a swing state.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1131 on: January 07, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »

Other than O'Malley, all the democratic candidates are to the right of Obama, there is very little room to the left of Obama.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1132 on: January 07, 2013, 01:56:37 PM »

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1133 on: January 07, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »

Oh man even if he's trolling this is really dumb
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1134 on: January 07, 2013, 03:12:24 PM »

It's classic BRTD.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1135 on: January 07, 2013, 05:10:33 PM »
« Edited: January 07, 2013, 05:14:56 PM by Latham Circle »

I've stated many times I never have any problem with violating laws I think are stupid, if not I'd be a hypocrite since on New Year's Eve I was briefly involved in passing around a joint between sets. But it appears he was doing more than consuming alcohol, so I have to retract my statement.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1136 on: January 08, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »

cc: Deluge

Is this some lesbian slur I've never heard of? Mods, please ban.
No.  It's a reference to My Life as a Teenage Robot.  On that show, there was a group called the Space Bikers (who I never really cared for).  Janet Napolitano always reminded me of Letta, the leader, (especially after the 2008 DNC) because she was a loudmouth who looked and sounded kind of like her.  One of them was also named Tammy, so that name always reminds me of them.  Hence the space biker comment.

http://teenagerobot.wikia.com/wiki/Space_Bikers
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1137 on: January 08, 2013, 04:03:44 PM »

The whole state of Alabama should be the target of surgical strikes.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1138 on: January 08, 2013, 06:42:41 PM »

I don't think surgeons have labor unions.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1139 on: January 08, 2013, 09:14:27 PM »

I, too, dislike the voting patterns of most of the Romney states, but simply because they make the GOP look bad (and thus should be blue-leaning states.)
Comrade Funk
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -5.91

P P P

« Reply #1140 on: January 09, 2013, 09:22:31 PM »

Actually the current PA legislature was elected with the heavily Democrat favored lines that gave Democrats extra seats in Allegheny County that they should not have.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #1141 on: January 09, 2013, 10:09:48 PM »

I, too, dislike the voting patterns of most of the Romney states, but simply because they make the GOP look bad (and thus should be blue-leaning states.)

That's hilarious.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1142 on: January 10, 2013, 05:58:46 PM »

Oh no...

I remember a few years ago when Avatar was nominated for Best Picture.  I didn't like it that much when I saw it, but I thought it deserved it since it made such ridiculous money.  When it lost to Hurt Locker, I was shocked", although I have a feeling that it was politically motivated (which would be odd since Avatar seemed to portray a situation similar to what happened to the Native Americans, and it also seemed to convey some environmentalist messages.)  I hope Lincoln get it.  If not, then we'll know it's because those guys know their history, realize Lincoln was a Republican, and don't like the history that was portrayed in the film.  (Sound familiar?)

BTW: please forgive me for asking, but what's the difference between the Oscars and the Golden Globes?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1143 on: January 10, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2013, 07:56:16 PM by Antonio V »

Wow. Oldies managed to come up with 4-5 absurd things unrelated to each other and combine them in a single post.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1144 on: January 10, 2013, 07:54:15 PM »

Yeah, that entire post really is a gem.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1145 on: January 10, 2013, 08:02:51 PM »

University professors, marketing researchers, media editors and designers, journalists, advertising executives, actors, human resources managers, corporate trainers, public relations practitioners, and media managers and consultants. You'll see it as communication, communication studies, speech communication, rhetorical studies, communication sciences, media studies, communication arts, mass communication, media ecology, and communication and media science.

Copypaste, or does he really feel strongly about communications degrees?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1146 on: January 10, 2013, 08:04:23 PM »

For purchase enquiry you can contact us via any email below... SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Contact Name : Nguyen Guevara

WTF kind of name is that?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1147 on: January 10, 2013, 08:08:45 PM »

University professors, marketing researchers, media editors and designers, journalists, advertising executives, actors, human resources managers, corporate trainers, public relations practitioners, and media managers and consultants. You'll see it as communication, communication studies, speech communication, rhetorical studies, communication sciences, media studies, communication arts, mass communication, media ecology, and communication and media science.

Copypaste, or does he really feel strongly about communications degrees?

It seemed nicer than just saying this.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1148 on: January 10, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »

Obama reminds me of Pol Pot. Would claim to be trying to set up a left wing utopia when in reality he would be creating a cult of personality authoritarian dictatorship.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1149 on: January 10, 2013, 08:19:53 PM »

Obama reminds me of Pol Pot. Would claim to be trying to set up a left wing utopia when in reality he would be creating a cult of personality authoritarian dictatorship.

You don't know opebo do you? He's opening admited to not really caring about left wing causes/the rights of people/etc. Case and point, he supported Gaddafi.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies