The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:41:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 80
Author Topic: The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 260912 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1375 on: February 18, 2013, 12:40:05 AM »

That's a nice job of selective quoting to make a position seem more extreme than it actually is, memphis.  You have a future in writing political attack ads.

It's only absurd if you insist that a marriage is a marriage only if the government is involved.  People were getting married long before governments were involved, and if governments decide to get out of the marriage business, people will still be getting married.  Keep in mind that in the interracial case that same-sex marriage activists use as a comparison, Loving v. Virginia, the Lovings were arrested and sentenced to one year in jail for being married and living together.  That's not happening anywhere in the US with same-sex couples.  So I'll stand by what I said in that post:

Ever since Lawrence v. Texas. everyone throughout the United States has had the right to be in a same-sex marriage.  So the right to be married is not what you are arguing for.  What you are arguing for is that same-sex marriages be given the same state privileges that opposite-sex marriages are, and only a few states do that at present.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1376 on: February 18, 2013, 10:20:49 AM »

You're really not making things any better for yourself. The right to have sex with somebody in private is obviously not the same thing as the right to marry somebody. 
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1377 on: February 18, 2013, 03:34:18 PM »

You're really not making things any better for yourself. The right to have sex with somebody in private is obviously not the same thing as the right to marry somebody. 

Even married couples get in trouble with the law if they have sex in public, but that's not what you're talking about here. What we're discussing is whether being married requires a government.  You think people can't be married without government involvement and I think it doesn't require a government. It's as simple as that.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1378 on: February 18, 2013, 06:32:37 PM »

Looks like we missed out on this one:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=169577.msg3631129;boardseen#new
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1379 on: February 18, 2013, 06:35:51 PM »

This guy should've stopped after the first sentence:

Donald Trump is a damn Yankee fool & a corporate elitist fat cat scumbag. He is like Abraham Lincoln in the sense they are both stupid fat cats who hate the workers & great people of the south & want to kill the south with there damn Tarrifs.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1380 on: February 19, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »

No; the professor was so obviously fake that I never found him funny.

Roll Eyes
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1381 on: February 19, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »

Donald Trump is a damn Yankee fool & a corporate elitist fat cat scumbag. He is like Abraham Lincoln in the sense they are both stupid fat cats who hate the workers & great people of the south & want to kill the south with there damn Tarrifs.

That's from a now banned sock/troll, so not really the type of post that belongs here.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1382 on: February 19, 2013, 01:12:10 PM »

That's from a now banned sock/troll, so not really the type of post that belongs here.

I wasn't aware of that but I'm not sure who you are to determine what "type of post" belongs here.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1383 on: February 19, 2013, 01:14:17 PM »

Of course this is the only thing Naso responds to in this thread:

Approaching this critically, I'd mark it down to the fact that people are not drawn to the internet as a informative source but rather a communicative or social network. Almost everyone avails themselves of information from the internet, but if people aren't doing it often or thinking critcally, then the net gain is zero. And a lot of people aren't thinking critically, which in part explains the rise of conspiracism, combined with pretensions of superiority.

I also think a lot of sources use the internet as a crutch in lieu of proper explaination. Call it the "LMGTFY" effect. People are often just expected to "get" things more nowadays. I think that might explain a lot of the extreme ignorance you're talking about.

Also, I might think the end of the Cold War played a role as well. With the rise of American unipolarity, understanding the world around us as well as why the American system was inherently better than Communism, became less politically pertinent.

But also this.

You might be on to something regarding the end of the Cold War's effect.
Simfan35
« Reply #1384 on: February 19, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »

Help me Kemp!
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1385 on: February 19, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »

Even married couples get in trouble with the law if they have sex in public, but that's not what you're talking about here. What we're discussing is whether being married requires a government.  You think people can't be married without government involvement and I think it doesn't require a government. It's as simple as that.
I think government is required for a civil mariage, yes. Civil marriage is what that entire thread was about. If you want to suggest every sex act in the entire country is a government-free "marriage," that's your folly.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1386 on: February 19, 2013, 07:15:50 PM »

I think government is required for a civil mariage, yes. Civil marriage is what that entire thread was about. If you want to suggest every sex act in the entire country is a government-free "marriage," that's your folly.

Not every sex act, just those committed by those in a loving relationship which involves mutual support and a common residence.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1387 on: February 19, 2013, 07:40:12 PM »

Here for not ignoring the fact that men get raped too.

There are over 1800 rapes a day in the United States.
Krazen makes an average of 6 posts a day.
Therefore, every time krazen makes a post, 300 women are raped.

#stopkrazen
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1388 on: February 19, 2013, 07:43:39 PM »

This was no glitch. The Fascists have enemy targets; the dissenters who fight for freedom. Jmfcst and Simfan were the two most notably of the martyrs, but clearly the Fascists have more vanguard posters in their crosshairs. Opebo, Lief, and BRTD will have been slain by the Fascist hordes by the end of the year, mark my words. Fight, comrades! Fight the tyrants! Fight for your liberty!
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1389 on: February 19, 2013, 07:46:37 PM »

Simfan irreversibly violated the meme Sad

Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1390 on: February 19, 2013, 09:52:55 PM »

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1391 on: February 19, 2013, 09:53:23 PM »

#stopkrazen

You're doing this wrong.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1392 on: February 19, 2013, 09:56:22 PM »

#stopkrazen

Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1393 on: February 20, 2013, 01:52:14 AM »

Sorry I was typing something else as a response and accidently a coke bottle left the word "not" in the post.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1394 on: February 20, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »

I feel like we aren't going to have another Italian pope for centuries.
I wouldn't mind another Italian pope, but you're probably right.  Of course, my church would not be pleased with me discussing this, especially since it views the pope and the Catholic Church as the Antichrist.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1395 on: February 20, 2013, 03:52:46 PM »

This is so wrong...but I'm so glad he's gone. Good riddance!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1396 on: February 21, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »

There are many more crimes than murder, rape, robbery and assault that deserve prison.
Such as?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1397 on: February 22, 2013, 02:01:29 AM »

Anyway, lets change the subject.  Enough of the attacks.  I will be fine.  I've been fine for many years.  My life is not screwed up like has been previously mentioned.  I am a little impulsive on the decision making, but it doesn't mean I have bad judgement, nor do my parents.  God has seen me through many mistakes in the past and I have no doubt He will see me through this one, which I still don't think its a mistake.  Its not the choice I would have made on my own.  If it were all up to me, which it shouild be, but is not then I would be heading to work in about 6 hours and would have extended my apartment lease another six months.  Anyway, I've got a busy weekend ahead, but I do plan on getting started looking on Sunday.  I've got several places to call tomorrow and we're going to Shawnee as a family for lunch at Cracker Barrel and a trip to Walmart.  Saturday is a lot of rearranging and getting my room ready to go.  I will be looking online as well the next two evenings.  I do plan on looking really heavy next week.

Let's be clear.  I did not want to come back to Oklahoma and I was prepared to suspend the job search for the next 12-18 months and continue on with the status quo.  I enjoyed my job in Utah and I worked for the best boss anybody could ever ask for.  Since my parents are helping me out, I could not turn my Dad down.  Mom thinks I should have given it another 6-9 months, at minimum, but Dad overpowered both of us.  Oh well, what's done is done and two wrongs don't make a right, so I am going to find a job as fast as I can, and try to be into an apartment of my own by Christmas if not the Autumn.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1398 on: February 22, 2013, 02:09:13 AM »

Seems pointless considering the poster, but...

Evil. However, he might be decent enough as secretary of state.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1399 on: February 22, 2013, 09:30:19 AM »

Anyway, lets change the subject.  Enough of the attacks.  I will be fine.  I've been fine for many years.  My life is not screwed up like has been previously mentioned.  I am a little impulsive on the decision making, but it doesn't mean I have bad judgement, nor do my parents.  God has seen me through many mistakes in the past and I have no doubt He will see me through this one, which I still don't think its a mistake.  Its not the choice I would have made on my own.  If it were all up to me, which it shouild be, but is not then I would be heading to work in about 6 hours and would have extended my apartment lease another six months.  Anyway, I've got a busy weekend ahead, but I do plan on getting started looking on Sunday.  I've got several places to call tomorrow and we're going to Shawnee as a family for lunch at Cracker Barrel and a trip to Walmart.  Saturday is a lot of rearranging and getting my room ready to go.  I will be looking online as well the next two evenings.  I do plan on looking really heavy next week.

Let's be clear.  I did not want to come back to Oklahoma and I was prepared to suspend the job search for the next 12-18 months and continue on with the status quo.  I enjoyed my job in Utah and I worked for the best boss anybody could ever ask for.  Since my parents are helping me out, I could not turn my Dad down.  Mom thinks I should have given it another 6-9 months, at minimum, but Dad overpowered both of us.  Oh well, what's done is done and two wrongs don't make a right, so I am going to find a job as fast as I can, and try to be into an apartment of my own by Christmas if not the Autumn.

I bolded the most absurd part for you Red, tho I fully agree with giving the extended quote.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 55 [56] 57 58 59 60 61 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies