The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 11:37:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 261489 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: July 27, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »

Clarence has compromised by moving one disastrous policy to another. Quite a low standard if you ask me. I really hope it doesn't become a trend for this Senate to ignore common sense because the sponsor of a bill expresses a willingness to compromise. After all, the Fugitive Slave Act was a compromise.
Um............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fugitive_Slave_Act_of_1850

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yes, what an ABSURD statement.

Though if you are arguing semantics here, it would be inaccurate to call the Fugitive Slave Act a "compromise" in itself.  It was, after all, part of the much larger "Compromise of 1850".  Likely, it would've been very hard to pass it as a standalone act.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:39:56 AM »

On what conditions would there need to be for Oklahoma to go Democratic.

Clinton/Schweitzer vs. Huntsman/Ayotte, with Clinton leading by a 2008-like margin.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 03:19:18 PM »

2012 is headed to be a close election for either side, at the moment.  If it's a 1980-like result, I swear to never look at a single poll again until the week before the election.

If the Obama campaign keeps coming up with some of the stupid ill-timed bullsh**t it has come up with (like ing Big Bird and distanced million dollar Hollywood actors who think their opinion actually matters to millions of Americans at the same time that Romney runs a silent dinner table ad on unemployment), it might well be a 1980 result election.

Which isn't to say that Romney is the right man for the job.  He most definitely isn't.  But it seems that lately the Obama Campaign is almost going out of it's way to drop the ball, if the polling is accurate.  Seriously, whoever the Hell is directing the campaign needs to have a VERY LONG meeting with all of the President's men about the future of the campaign, or just get fired.

There are ways to run a campaign, and my god the President just isn't doing it.  I mean, my god dudes, he's running against Mitt ing Romney, who has given him more than enough ammunition to thoroughly demolish him back to the fourth grade.  Yet, thanks to the throughly incompetent team that he has, Romney somehow not only manages to come within five poitns of Obama, but is actually somehow now beating him.  Somehow, despite having enough gaffes to pay off our debt to China, enough tax issues to make him look slimier than a trial lawyer, amazingly idiotic statements from various Republican officeholders, and not to mention blatant flip flopping, Romney is looking like a ing top dog to Obama.

Why do you ask?  Simple, the President ing sucks at campaigning.  It's quite clear that Obama is way better at getting an office than he is at defending it.  It's one thing to go out and say "yes I will do this" when you are not the the man in charge.  However, once in charge suddenly he is thrust into the limelight and expected to have the big balls and keep up the inspiration that got him into office in the first place.  Obama has more than enough things to brag about that he has done, but for some reason he just can't emphasize it enough.  Throughout this campaign I've heard very little about the success in getting Obamacare (or whatever it's called) passed, the Lily Ledbetter Act (which is ridic, considering that Romney is actually bringing up pay inequality amongst men and women and I have yet to here a thorough rebuking from the Administration), the end of Don't Ask, Don't Tell, etc. etc. etc.  Oh, and did anyone mention that the economy is IMPROVING?

Yet, all the talk I hear from the Obama campaign chooses instead to focus on OMG! HOLLYWOOD! and some rigoddamndiculous ad about ing Big Bird than actually defending the record (which Obama did a sh**t job of in the first debate).  Instead of bringing up all of this success and defending the record all I've seen is a bunch of social issues cheerleaders using demonization politics to convince people that Mitt Romney is the Devil and he eats babies.  Maybe it's just my ad market location, but I can't recall one Obama ad I've seen that was ever a positive defense of accomplishments that he had.  Which, frankly, is the only way a campaign can really succeed.
(which isn't to say Romney has been running a positive campaign.)

The 2008 Obama Campaign by comparison looks like a grade A Oscar Award Winner.  The campaign then managed to rally MILLIONS OF PEOPLE, most notably amongst the college age where he won a brain melting 68% or something like that, and deliver on a historic campaign.  The Obama of 2008 seems much different than the one of 2012.  In 2008, the campaign managed to carry an overwhelming message of Hope and Optimism for the future of the country instead of the dark, cynical, gutter politics that this one seems to be bringing.

Maybe it isn't Obama's fault, maybe like a bunch of people on here keep saying he was just transformed by the politics of Washington.  Fair enough, but that doesn't excuse playing by the book politics that could only lead to the further cynicism of the American Electorate and make this execution of "democracy" an even bigger sham than it is already.

Wow, that was quite a rant.  So in short, a lot of people need to get their sh**ts together.  I apologize for ranting in this fine thread and wish you gentlemen the best in your future endeavors.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 10:34:27 AM »

SJoycle- you're forgetting the rule of the board... any one who makes comments supporting the Democratic Party gets a standing ovation from the members in front of their computer monitor...any other comment gets that person attacked as stupid, irrelevant, evil- you name it!

Okay, maybe this will get me my very first entry in this thread (maybe not, I haven't read all the way through it) but, HOW IN THE HELL is that an absurd observation?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »

I suppose I'll be the one who puts  these in here -

The Southern strategy had nothing to do with pandering to racists.

Didn't you read my links?  The Southern strategy had nothing to do with race.  It was about convincing Southern moderates who supported civil rights to fight against the segregationist Democrats by voting Republican.  And it's not ludicrous to point this stuff out.  If Republicans had been the party of slavery and segregation (as many high profile Democrats already suggest in their alternate history), no matter how long ago it was, would you want to support the GOP today?

And if Romney was really using racist "dog whistles", then surely you would have heard more controversy over it in this day and age.

The links in question -

First of all, race may have been a factor in 1964, but it wasn't after that.  And stop making fun of me on the Southern strategy.  Read these articles to prove my point:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/100265457/The-Truth-Nixon-s-Southern-Strategy
http://www.wnd.com/2002/12/16477/

Your move, liebirals.

I cannot abide these quotes being lost forever at the end of the previous page.

I'm amazed that he cited WND with a straight face.

Yes fellas.

Also, Hitler was aggravated into invading Poland.  World War II was the fault of the warmongering British. . . . . . .
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 09:45:29 AM »

Yes, but it didn't refute my point at all, which was based on numbers and electoral success.  Not my personal feelings of Republicans or Reagan.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 07:57:19 PM »

Howe and Strauss have the generations living in the twentieth century and now so pegged:

Transcendental 1792-1821
Gilded  1822-1842
Progressive 1843-1859
Missionary 1860-1882
Lost  1883-1900
GI 1901-1924
Silent 1925-1942
Boom 1943-1960
Thirteenth/X  1961-1981
Millennial 1982-? 

1882 links FDR to Churchill instead of to a bunch of gangsters, fascist and Nazi war criminals, and Stalinist functionaries or satraps -- and puts FDR in a generation more known for principle than for pragmatism. Maybe if Obama rates as one of the greatest Presidents ever he gets his birth-year reclassified as a "Boomer" year. Howe and Strauss recognize the early wave of Generation X as one of the most troubled waves of kids ever -- drug use, alcoholism, criminal arrests, and low achievements in education -- and for rejecting Boomer mass culture.   
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 01:42:01 AM »

How is that absurd, ignorant, or bad?

Did you read his reasoning?  It's beyond absurd (ie, thinking there is some significance to linking FDR with Churchill, how people behave if they were born in a certain 'generation", "all horrible people belong to a certain generation", etc etc).

Really, even Vosem thought his rationale was absurd.

What the hell am I doing even responding to this.  It's a pbrower post for god's sake.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 10:58:06 AM »

They shouldn't be able to vote, period. They'll always vote Republican to protect their corporate asses in whatever way possible out of greed & selfishness because they know whatever Republican incumbent is President would give all of them huge tax breaks. At least those who vote Democratic or anti-Republican care about the greater whole of the nation.

That's not absurd, ignorant, or bad.
I hope that's sarcastic.  Otherwise, you guys are pretty much surrendering Democratic principle.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 04:35:57 PM »

They shouldn't be able to vote, period. They'll always vote Republican to protect their corporate asses in whatever way possible out of greed & selfishness because they know whatever Republican incumbent is President would give all of them huge tax breaks. At least those who vote Democratic or anti-Republican care about the greater whole of the nation.

That's not absurd, ignorant, or bad.
I hope that's sarcastic.  Otherwise, you guys are pretty much surrendering Democratic principle.

Don't look at me, I voted to nominate Obamanation's post as horrible. Tongue

Oh of course I knew what you were doing (which seems to, so far, be quite logical from my pov), however 20RP12 is harder to figure out.  Given the empty quoting.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »

I would like to note that when even Nathan is calling one a "puckered asshole", they must deserve it.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »

The fact that people of any stature chose to associate with Ted Nugent after that tirade show how rotten they are.  People  who chose to associate with him are not fellow citizens, they are enemies of democracy--terrorists and traitors.

This is especially absurd, considering how many people probably own at least one Nugent record (most likely from the Seventies when he was still somewhat sane).
Does Dingojoe think the 3 million people who bought "Cat Scratch Fever" are traitors?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 10:11:17 AM »

Someone ought to inform that joker that Texas ain't that much of a better place to live than North Korea.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »

New Jersey is pretty much my second state, other than my home state of PA. Overall he's pretty horrible governor.  He's anti-union, anti-choice, anti-equality, anti-civil liberties, and probably a neo-con on civil liberties.

If he is elected president, which he won't, he would continue the corporate policies and anti-civil liberty policies that have happened under Obama/Bush/Clinton.

All of the Republican candidates, expect maybe Rand Paul, but he flip flopped on drones so I would never vote for him, are for things like NDAA 2012, Patriot Act, FISA, Gitmo Bay, drones, anti-marriage equality, anti-choice, pro-corporate controlled.  Hiliary will also continue the pro-corporate anti-civil liberty policies of Obama/Bush/Clinton.

That's why I like many proud Americans will vote third party in 2016.  Because we aren't foolish enough to voe for the lesser of two evils (Democrats).

I'm sorry, I think you might've accidentally put this in the wrong thr-. . . .  oh right.

Yeah, thinking people would actually have the nads to support, in large numbers no less, a third party bid is pretty foolish.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies