The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:03:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 261388 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: May 29, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »

Here's a better question, if you were a small business owner or even someone looking for a better paying job, would you want to work with Mitt Romney or Barack Obama?

Which candidate will give you better advice on staying in business, or growing your profits?

Its a cut-throat world in capitalism.  Should capitalism always be fair? 

There are so many different industries, technologies, and skill-sets available in America.  Farmers, teachers, engineers, all have different needs and wants. 

You want to know how to get a job, make all the kids get STEM degrees. 
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »

The point is that not only would a majority of people not find Blue Avatar's statement "absurd," they'd actually agree with it.  You cannot, therefore, claim it's a violation of "common sense."

Yes, but whether or not an opinion actually is absurd, ignorant, or bad has nothing to do with whether or not a majority of people hold it.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »

Unlike such posters as opebo or Bushie, who may lead you astray, listening to Lief WILL cause you to attain greatness.

Oh, come on, you can't possibly think I was being serious in that context.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »

But it does. Then again, we're not ones for busting through walls.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 06:08:42 PM »

North American literature is Faulkner + A Confederacy of Dunces + the first half of Catch 22.

Everything else is "fine" and that's all. I've always felt sympathy for Fitzgerald, but his novels are quite irrelevant. Twain is G rated.

Hemingway is trash.

In poetry Whitman and Ginsberg are great.

And that's the end of North American literature.

...yeah that's pretty awful.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:40:34 PM »

How interesting that it took a Democrat to lose the war on poverty.

Think about it:  Why would a Democrat want to end poverty?  They aren't that stupid.  Poverty is the health of the Democratic Party.

Time to break out the

Stern...but fair.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 01:36:27 AM »

From Alexis de Tocqueville on, all objective observers have noted that Northerners are much more racist than Southerners.

Btw, do you know which major U.S. city had the first openly gay mayor?  Frisco?  L.A.?  NYC?  Portland?  Boston?  Chicago?  Seattle? 

With apologies to that "redneck" comedian guy:  "If you don't know which major U.S. city had the first openly gay mayor, you MIGHT be an MSM zombie!"  [audience laughter]

I could do a list of those.

"If you thought there was any chance that the Aurora theater shooter was a Tea Partyer ... , you MIGHT be an MSM zombie!"  [audience laughter]

It's especially hilarious since Providence is in the North.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 02:16:44 PM »

I have to be the only person in the country more motivated to support Romney because he strapped his dog to the roof of his car. I f**king hate dogs.

That whole post was nonsensical and awful, but yeah, that in particular did disgust me.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=156691.msg3368517#msg3368517
Yeah, this guy was sent as a challenge to me the very day after I accepted homosexuality as compatible with my faith. Tongue

First of all, congratulations on your change of heart. Second of all, I feel your pain, truly. It's time for this guy to stop posting.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2012, 03:28:44 PM »

I'd like to bring this post to your attention not only because it's horribly racist but because it attempts to argue a universal positive--seldom a good idea.

Once a neighborhood goes black/majority black it goes down hill. There is no exception.  That's why there is angst.   Most of the USA lives in places where they've never been exposed to large black populations, so it's easy for a lot of people, like from Kentucky for example, to say "oh these people.. so racist"...  Nope, facts aren't racist

It's unfortunate that this is the case, but when 77% of black babies are born into broken homes, the result is social decay
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 01:19:52 AM »

He's probably molesting children and seniors without Medicare in his basement as we speak.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

My submissions to the Deluge:

The most left-wing Southerner is probably still not very leftist.

That this was even controversial just shows what a horrible and un-American place Tennessee is.

To be fair, that last one is kinda true.

Depends on the part of Tennessee.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 02:57:38 AM »

True if you squint to the same degree that it's true that the key to Republican victories is usually depressed turnout among Democratic groups. The very poor always have depressed turnout.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:28 AM »

The hackish overtone of the post is what landed it here (then again, when don't his posts have a hackish overtone to them?)  And the idea that Democrats are somehow 'anti-Catholic' (especially with, you know, a Catholic on the Democratic ticket) is far-fetched, to say the least.

My post wasn't meant to imply agreement with the point being made.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 02:20:15 PM »

Most foreigners love seeing America struggle, so naturally they love Obama and want the next four years to be like the past four years.

I'm going to start interacting with him as if he were the Scarlet Pimpernel.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »

Most foreigners love seeing America struggle, so naturally they love Obama and want the next four years to be like the past four years.

Are there a lot of trolls on this forum?

Yes, and Politico is one of our most notorious ones. The 2012 board is pretty much open season for even good posters to be trolls, though. Welcome to the forum!
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 10:01:24 PM »

Yes, and Politico is one of our most notorious ones. The 2012 board is pretty much open season for even good posters to be trolls, though. Welcome to the forum!

Be prepared to say goodbye to RhodieIII, Nathan.

God damn it. My sock perception skills are clearly not great.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2012, 04:26:57 AM »

Be prepared to say goodbye to RhodieIII, Nathan.

God damn it. My sock perception skills are clearly not great.
That one stank from a mile away. (But I didn't bother thinking about who it might be.)

In my defense, I had a lot going on in the 3-4 hour this afternoon.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2012, 11:26:15 PM »

Hey, Nathan, why don't we both be trolls for a week, and show the kids how to do it properly, meaning you rile up the opposition, but make it hard for the mods to hand out death points? The troll skill level around here these days is really pathetically low. It's an embarrassment!

Way ahead of you. I'm ashamed to be associated with some of these incompetents.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 12:54:52 AM »

Safety valve.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2012, 10:16:01 PM »

Okay, an animal is clearly also not really comparable to a bicycle, but the point is that there's a continuum here.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 01:34:54 PM »

My big problem with the South is not past racism but past treason, and the fact Southerners idealize such treason, boast about it, and have made an integral part of their entity. What the South needs is a German-style attitude towards the Civil War, and I used to think I'd wish that on no one.

For example, the Confederate Battle Flag is a treasonous symbol, and ideally it would be treated much like the NSDAP flag is treated in Germany.

...I don't see the problem with this.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 02:01:31 AM »

There is absolutely nothing that can be used to predict when we will have another non-white president.  It is an ignorant statement.

There are often barriers for African-Americans seeking statewide office (for a variety of reasons that aren't particularly relevant right now). Which is why we have no African-American senators. VRA districts and all. Remember, Barack Obama's stint into a VRA district ended in disaster.

There are very few, if at all any, black politicians as of right now who could make even a plausibly successful run for President. Simple as that. And even if there are (I'm looking at you Cory Booker), they're only one of many many plausible candidates. So unless being black makes you 50x more likely to win a primary election, it is exceedingly unlikely that we will have another non-white President in the next few years.

It is exceedingly improbable for the next president, or the president after that

No it isn't.  Demographics have been changing for decades now and just because there aren't any African-American senators doesn't mean there won't be in two or four years.  Yes, we have Cory Booker.  We have Deval Patrick, as well.  Republicans have Marco Rubio and Bobby Jindal.  No one can predict exactly how many white presidents there will be in the future just as no one could have predicted the election of an African-American president ten years ago.

It is an ignorant and baseless statement.  I can't believe I'm actually having an argument about this.

Also, as you've touched on, there are non-whites who aren't black. There are more Hispanics and South Asians representing non-overwhelmingly-Hispanic/South Asian constituencies than one might think.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 03:17:27 PM »
« Edited: October 18, 2012, 03:19:31 PM by Nathan »

From a poll regarding Three Days Grace, a less-than-good but better-than-okay band that reached their pinnacle in like 2006 and hasn't done anything half as good since:

They're perhaps the greatest band to come out of Canada. You're opinion?

Of course this is wrong, but to be fair, most really seminal musicians from Canada do seem to be primarily solo artists (then again, there might be some bands that I'm not aware are from Canada).

ETA: If we're using a one-drop rule then CSNY was Canadian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 07:27:20 PM »

The race feels like 2004, but the election turnout on election night will be 1980.
How is that a bad post?  What if the result happens?

If that happens we will of course eat crow, but it's far enough outside the current consensus of reasonableness to qualify here right now.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »

Well he was always an annoying hack but that doesn't make one a white supremacist. But "war on whites", that's basically straight from Stormfront.

He's also talked about 'white values' or some similar phrase in the past, if memory serves.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies