The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:33:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 261366 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: May 18, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »

No more wrong than saying "Federal Republic of Germany" instead of "Bundesrepublik Deutschland."  In fact, it's probably better not to mix and match languages.
Not the same thing. Its Iran in modern English, Persia is no longer correct, its like saying Mesopotamia instead of Iraq.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 07:17:02 AM »

I don't like the feeling that I'm picking on someone, and I'm not even convinced that a thread like the deluge should be permitted, but this is exactly the kind of atrocious post that this thread is intended for.

Look at the Islamic world, they are having kids at the rate many western Christians once did and at some point may out populate the Christian world. That is something I don't want.
Why? Changing demographics is a fact and they will have huge consequences in the long run.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »

Romney can bring meaning to his life and fix his obvious flaws through Jesus Christ. Maybe this defeat will cause him to reexamine things and bring him to Christ, as the power of Christ can change even someone like him.
Thats only absurd if you are an atheist or consider Romney to be a good Christian. So thats basically a matter of opinion.   
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:54:24 AM »
« Edited: December 04, 2012, 10:57:24 AM by politicus »

Or if you are a member of any other but a Christian faith. Nah, most religious people dont consider each others belive systems absurd.

Or if you are aware that Mormons, whether you consider them Christians or not, certainly worship Jesus as Christ. That is beside the point. The issue is whether he is a good Christian, not if he is a Christian

Or if you are just not of the opinion that Christians ought to go out of their way to be annoying in order to "proselytize", especially not (or just: at least not) among minorities with a long historical memories of persecution by Christians.
The statement said nothing about a conversion, just finding God, which could happen within the framework of the Mormon faith. But anyway this is based on your opinion, not logic, hence not absurd ].

Or if you're aware that Mitt Romney won't notice this ridiculous attempt at converting him.
You can pray for other people without them hearing it, thats actually the normal way to pray. Again this is only absurd if you dont believe in God.

politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 08:38:47 PM »

The worst approach, which is unsurprisingly the one you appear to prefer due to your own concupiscent selfishness (or selfish concupiscence, it's all the same), is the one taken by the countries in blue on this map.

What's wrong with banning organized (ie, exploited) prostitution?

The prostitute are charged for soliciting customers, the customer isn't charged, as he did nothing illegal.

In Canada, note than the Ontario courts stuck down the law, Government is appealing.

That sucks, yeah. However, I would say that ideally laws should punish customers and pimps, while leaving prostitutes alone (ideally, offering them opportunities for another professional orientation).

Why treat potentially distasteful manual labor involving a vagina any differently from potentially distasteful manual labor involving one's hands? Surely you don't advocate saving female janitors or factory workers and "offering them opportunities for professional orientation"? At least a prostitute gets paid considerably more (a prostitute in a place with sensible laws, at least).
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 09:31:06 AM »
« Edited: December 13, 2012, 12:38:39 PM by politicus »

how do people feel about a "no arguing in the Deluge" rule (like the Comedy Goldmine) is...or does awkward self-defense just add to this thread's charms?

My opinion of the matter is: no Deluge at all. Unlike the Goldmine, this thread isn't fun in even the remotest sense of the word, so I don't see how the forum would be missing anything.
Disagree. I think its often funnier, but people should be more selective about what they put here.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 03:08:10 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2013, 03:16:32 AM by politicus »

Negative for the same but opposite reason I think highly of Michael Vick. Despite Vick's obvious negatives, I think he's had an overall positive impact on the people who derive value from the things he does and says and the people they impact. The exact opposite could be said of the cult of character surrounding Jesus Christ.

That anybody could directly imply with seeming sincerity that he has a higher opinion of Michael Vick than of Jesus is...

...even from a non-Christian standpoint, that is whacked.

I read it as tongue in cheek.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 02:22:48 AM »

George Bush ran on a conservative foreign policy, but that changed come War on Terror.

What? That is completely accurate.

Implying that the War on Terror is not conservative.

That depends how you define conservatism. Changing the concept of terror from being a crime which should be fought by police and intelligence services to a war was certainly a radical change and a break with tradition and moderation.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 02:44:07 PM »

Its not absurd to say that something generally considered excellent is awful, its just a minority opinion. Even "Shakespeare is awful" is not an absurd statement.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »
« Edited: April 23, 2013, 04:48:22 PM by politicus »

Dear Lord...

Saying Islamism = Nazism is hyperbole, but not without a core of truth (totalitarian ideology + antisemitism, women = breeding machines, modernity is degenerated, longing for a past that never where etc.)

Saying Islam = Nazism is mindboglingly stupid and insulting.

Surprised to see you putting this here. Did you think it over, or was it a gut feeling?

I think I was pretty balanced on that one, saying it was hyperbole, but with a core of truth. There are obviously clear differences, but Islamism in its radical version (not talking Erdogan and moderates here) has a core that is not that far from some of the elements in Nazism, which also had a pseudo-religious, mythological element + they share a number of values with fascism.

I consider radical Islamism an ideology detached from genuine Islam. Basically an abuse of the religion to create a totalitarian ideology, the fascist abuse of patriotism and national pride is related.

What is it specifically that you find absurd or ignnorant?
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »

Posting the two prior posts from that thread as well so yall can see why the third is absurdly bad.  Why some people don't ever get humor on the Internet without tons of smilies is beyond me.

Plastic surgery is the wave of the future (along with designer babies, etc), but I'm not a fan of the particular look. They all look like they have an overbite and a Michael Jackson nose.

No.

And yes, this is pretty culturally disgusting. Nothing more to say. (Waiting for someone to come in with a vacuous speech attacking me by saying the word 'empowering' over 8794+ times)

You don't get it Gully.  Plastic surgery is empowering these women to choose their own appearance instead of being oppressed by their genetics.  Why should beauty be restricted to a fortunate few?  You should feel empowered by this trend not oppressed. Or perhaps you wish to be one of those who oppress rather than empower.  (Only 8792 more uses of empower to go. 8791 now.)

If you have to take a knife to your face to avoid being oppressed, you're still being oppressed.

The way to avoid sexism is to stop judging people by their appearance or at least have more realistic expectations about appearance.

Not to mutilate women so they all conform to the sexists' standards.

Its not absurdly bad just because he didn't get your irony. The post itself is sensible and well argued.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 12:23:37 PM »

Its not absurdly bad just because he didn't get your irony. The post itself is sensible and well argued.
I'd agree with you if my post hadn't included the part in parenthesis. That should have been enough to clue in all but the clueless.

Your post is irrelevant in judging whether his is absurd or bad. It makes perfect sense even if you deleted yours and should be judged on its own merit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies