Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 22, 2014, 02:19:06 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  Should the Regions map be re-drawn?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Poll
Question: Should the Regions map be re-drawn?
Yes   -19 (63.3%)
No   -8 (26.7%)
who cares   -3 (10%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Should the Regions map be re-drawn?  (Read 1734 times)
Scottish Robb Stark
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:04 am »
Ignore

I'd have thought of this, for the sake of geographic consistency :

Robb of the House Stark, First of his Name, Lord of Winterfell and King in the North

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
ilikeverin
YaBB God
Timor-Leste

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:31 pm »
Ignore

Keeping 5 regions in this one:

Look, I don't see why it would be a good idea to balance the regions in terms of population - for all we know, the current population imbalance is just a temporary problem, and soon the Midwest is going to be hugely overpopulated or something.  I do agree that it should be addressed in terms of representation, which is why I introduced an amendment to reintroduce district seats to replace regional Senate seats, but population can move around.  It's just... not, for some reason.

Chief Judicial Officer of the Most Serene Republic of the Midwest, registered in the State of Joy, in Atlasia
Recognized National Treasure of Atlasia
In New Zealand for a conference and vacation through July 14th Smiley
Senator Griffin (LAB-NB)
Adam Griffin
YaBB God
Greece

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 03:31:18 pm »
Ignore

Look, I don't see why it would be a good idea to balance the regions in terms of population - for all we know, the current population imbalance is just a temporary problem, and soon the Midwest is going to be hugely overpopulated or something.  I do agree that it should be addressed in terms of representation, which is why I introduced an amendment to reintroduce district seats to replace regional Senate seats, but population can move around.  It's just... not, for some reason.

I fully get what you are saying. I think it's a good idea to have district seats that allow for equalish representation as you mentioned. There doesn't appear to be any mechanism in place right now that takes that into account.

Population fluctuations are bound to happen, but it's not as if anyone can pack up and move from one region to the next on a daily basis. New recruits probably are going to join their respective home region, so it's difficult to take that into account when planning because we don't know who's going to join in the future. I realize this could be used against what I'm saying as well, but I don't see why initially basing a redraw off of current population is any worse than breaking apart existing regions and reassigning those states (randomly) to other regions. I mean, we already have an imbalance right now in activity and population between the regions; why go through the hassle of changing boundaries if we end up with a similar result?

While I do not advocate this policy, what if the regions were tied to the Census and redrawn every one, two, or three months? I can't see such an idea being all that popular and I would much prefer seeing a "House" take care of this, but I would think over time the same problems existing today (unequal population and activity) would manifest unless there were only 3 or (perhaps) 4 regions. I guess my summary is that no matter how they are redrawn (or if), there's going to be imbalance, but we could do a "one-time reset" on the problem and allow entropy to go from there.

I don't have to meet a certain standard in order for God to allow me into heaven.
Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States
View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 09:12:24 pm »
Ignore

I strongly support this map.

Goodbye
GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 09:21:23 pm »
Ignore

I like Antonio's map a lot myself. Smiley

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 09:24:29 pm »
Ignore

Give the IDS MD and DE and that'd be my ideal 4 region map.

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:28 pm »
Ignore

Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 09:31:52 pm »
Ignore

Is there anyone actually registered in Delaware?

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 09:33:58 pm »
Ignore

Oakvale was registered in Delaware, but he left.  The state doesn't have a resident, as of yet, but I think the Northeast is best the way it is.

Per one of my campaign promises, I will oppose any changes to the Northeastern boundaries. Grin
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:37:57 pm by Senator Scott »Logged

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 09:37:38 pm »
Ignore

I drafted a four region plan for fun, but it's identical to Antonio's. A nice proposal there.

Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:13 pm »
Ignore

Oakvale was registered in Delaware, but he left.  The state doesn't have a resident, as of yet, but I think the Northeast is best the way it is.

Per one of my campaign promises, I will oppose any changes to the Northeastern boundaries. Grin

But that makes it look silly. The Northeast looks fine, but then there's a Delaware-tail-thingy hanging off of Pennsylvania. Far more aesthetically pleasing to give em both to the IDS.

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 10:29:11 pm »
Ignore

But that makes it look silly. The Northeast looks fine, but then there's a Delaware-tail-thingy hanging off of Pennsylvania. Far more aesthetically pleasing to give em both to the IDS.

Ain't nothing wrong with a 'lil tail! Tongue  And frankly, I just don't see why the Northeast should feel compelled to give up a portion of its land (along with the businesses and agricultural resources that exist in it) just like that.  Tongue

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2012, 11:34:28 pm »
Ignore

I strongly support this map.
It would invigorate the Midwest. The West would still be pretty dead, however.  My state would be in an even more strongly right-wing region than it is now, but we'd still find plenty to argue about.

Marokai Besieged
Marokai Blue
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 01:47:55 am »
Ignore

It would invigorate the Midwest.

And best-case-scenario, that's all it does.

Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 07:33:16 pm »
Ignore

I might consider Antonio's map, provided that the Regional seats are maintained as they are. And that the Senate is also restructured so as to preserve the balance between regional and popular interests. Any plan or reform that fails to meet that criteria is a non-starter as far as I am concerned.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 07:51:47 pm »
Ignore

Ain't nothing wrong with a 'lil tail! Tongue  And frankly, I just don't see why the Northeast should feel compelled to give up a portion of its land (along with the businesses and agricultural resources that exist in it) just like that.  Tongue

Ah, yes, you wouldn't want to lose your Delaware Corporations...

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.55, S: -7.91

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 07:57:01 pm »
Ignore

How about something like this:

Green - North Region
Red - South Region
Blue - East Region

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 08:53:48 pm »
Ignore

Now this is a map I can live with.  Is there any likelihood of it being taken up? 

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 09:14:19 pm »
Ignore

It looks to be a good map (with Maryland going to the IDS, of course Wink), but might this hurt ideological diversity?

Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 09:23:17 pm »
Ignore

It looks to be a good map (with Maryland going to the IDS, of course Wink), but might this hurt ideological diversity?

Half of a left-leaning region is combined with half of a right-leaning one (Midwest and Mideast); other than that, NE stays the same and competitive, and there's really not a practical way to get the Pacific competitive (of course, with current activity levels, its ideological tilt isn't that important). IDS gets a bit more conservative, but not terribly.

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 09:25:35 pm »
Ignore

Half of a left-leaning region is combined with half of a right-leaning one (Midwest and Mideast); other than that, NE stays the same and competitive, and there's really not a practical way to get the Pacific competitive (of course, with current activity levels, its ideological tilt isn't that important). IDS gets a bit more conservative, but not terribly.

Doesn't sound too bad, for the most part.  This should definitely be considered.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 09:25:49 pm »
Ignore

It looks to be a good map (with Maryland going to the IDS, of course Wink),

Maryland (and by extension, DC) belongs to the Northeast -not the South.  Let the Potomac remain the dividing line between the two regions.  

but might this hurt ideological diversity?

Who knows what our membership as a whole will look like years from now.  The Mideast, for instance, has done a complete 180 within the past seven years.  It now rivals the South for being the most conservative region in Atlasia.  

Emperor Scott
Scott
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2012, 09:31:03 pm »
Ignore

It looks to be a good map (with Maryland going to the IDS, of course Wink),

Maryland (and by extension, DC) belongs to the Northeast -not the South.  Let the Potomac remain the dividing line between the two regions.  

but might this hurt ideological diversity?

Who knows what our membership as a whole will look like years from now.  The Mideast, for instance, has done a complete 180 within the past seven years.  It now rivals the South for being the most conservative region in Atlasia.  

The Northeast is a populous and active region the way it is, now.  It really doesn't require additional states or territories.

I know that regions change over time, but at the same time we should avoid gerrymandering as much as we can.

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2012, 05:06:23 am »
Ignore

Even if you manage to re-draw the regions in any of the above-mentioned ways, don't forget that people could simply change their state of registration in order to stay in the same region as before. I for my part would certainly do that should Kentucky become a part of the South. If many people do this, the new map will not have a big impact.
Iron King SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2012, 05:53:53 am »
Ignore

Even if you manage to re-draw the regions in any of the above-mentioned ways, don't forget that people could simply change their state of registration in order to stay in the same region as before. I for my part would certainly do that should Kentucky become a part of the South. If many people do this, the new map will not have a big impact.

Wouldn't people moving around cause some sort of activity anyways, as is the goal of this?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout