Should the Regions map be re-drawn?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:35:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Should the Regions map be re-drawn?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Should the Regions map be re-drawn?
Yes

No

who cares

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Should the Regions map be re-drawn?  (Read 7434 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »

I'd have thought of this, for the sake of geographic consistency :

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »

Look, I don't see why it would be a good idea to balance the regions in terms of population - for all we know, the current population imbalance is just a temporary problem, and soon the Midwest is going to be hugely overpopulated or something.  I do agree that it should be addressed in terms of representation, which is why I introduced an amendment to reintroduce district seats to replace regional Senate seats, but population can move around.  It's just... not, for some reason.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »

Look, I don't see why it would be a good idea to balance the regions in terms of population - for all we know, the current population imbalance is just a temporary problem, and soon the Midwest is going to be hugely overpopulated or something.  I do agree that it should be addressed in terms of representation, which is why I introduced an amendment to reintroduce district seats to replace regional Senate seats, but population can move around.  It's just... not, for some reason.

I fully get what you are saying. I think it's a good idea to have district seats that allow for equalish representation as you mentioned. There doesn't appear to be any mechanism in place right now that takes that into account.

Population fluctuations are bound to happen, but it's not as if anyone can pack up and move from one region to the next on a daily basis. New recruits probably are going to join their respective home region, so it's difficult to take that into account when planning because we don't know who's going to join in the future. I realize this could be used against what I'm saying as well, but I don't see why initially basing a redraw off of current population is any worse than breaking apart existing regions and reassigning those states (randomly) to other regions. I mean, we already have an imbalance right now in activity and population between the regions; why go through the hassle of changing boundaries if we end up with a similar result?

While I do not advocate this policy, what if the regions were tied to the Census and redrawn every one, two, or three months? I can't see such an idea being all that popular and I would much prefer seeing a "House" take care of this, but I would think over time the same problems existing today (unequal population and activity) would manifest unless there were only 3 or (perhaps) 4 regions. I guess my summary is that no matter how they are redrawn (or if), there's going to be imbalance, but we could do a "one-time reset" on the problem and allow entropy to go from there.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 09:12:24 PM »

I strongly support this map.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 09:21:23 PM »

I like Antonio's map a lot myself. Smiley
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 09:24:29 PM »

Give the IDS MD and DE and that'd be my ideal 4 region map.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 09:26:28 PM »

Give the IDS MD and DE and that'd be my ideal 4 region map.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 09:31:52 PM »

Is there anyone actually registered in Delaware?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 09:33:58 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2012, 09:37:57 PM by Senator Scott »

Oakvale was registered in Delaware, but he left.  The state doesn't have a resident, as of yet, but I think the Northeast is best the way it is.

Per one of my campaign promises, I will oppose any changes to the Northeastern boundaries. Grin
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:13 PM »

Oakvale was registered in Delaware, but he left.  The state doesn't have a resident, as of yet, but I think the Northeast is best the way it is.

Per one of my campaign promises, I will oppose any changes to the Northeastern boundaries. Grin

But that makes it look silly. The Northeast looks fine, but then there's a Delaware-tail-thingy hanging off of Pennsylvania. Far more aesthetically pleasing to give em both to the IDS.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2012, 10:29:11 PM »

But that makes it look silly. The Northeast looks fine, but then there's a Delaware-tail-thingy hanging off of Pennsylvania. Far more aesthetically pleasing to give em both to the IDS.

Ain't nothing wrong with a 'lil tail! Tongue  And frankly, I just don't see why the Northeast should feel compelled to give up a portion of its land (along with the businesses and agricultural resources that exist in it) just like that.  Tongue
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2012, 11:34:28 PM »

I strongly support this map.
It would invigorate the Midwest. The West would still be pretty dead, however.  My state would be in an even more strongly right-wing region than it is now, but we'd still find plenty to argue about.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 01:47:55 AM »

And best-case-scenario, that's all it does.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 07:33:16 PM »

I might consider Antonio's map, provided that the Regional seats are maintained as they are. And that the Senate is also restructured so as to preserve the balance between regional and popular interests. Any plan or reform that fails to meet that criteria is a non-starter as far as I am concerned.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2012, 07:51:47 PM »

Ain't nothing wrong with a 'lil tail! Tongue  And frankly, I just don't see why the Northeast should feel compelled to give up a portion of its land (along with the businesses and agricultural resources that exist in it) just like that.  Tongue

Ah, yes, you wouldn't want to lose your Delaware Corporations...
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 07:57:01 PM »

How about something like this:

Green - North Region
Red - South Region
Blue - East Region
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2012, 08:53:48 PM »

Now this is a map I can live with.  Is there any likelihood of it being taken up? 
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2012, 09:14:19 PM »

It looks to be a good map (with Maryland going to the IDS, of course Wink), but might this hurt ideological diversity?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »

It looks to be a good map (with Maryland going to the IDS, of course Wink), but might this hurt ideological diversity?

Half of a left-leaning region is combined with half of a right-leaning one (Midwest and Mideast); other than that, NE stays the same and competitive, and there's really not a practical way to get the Pacific competitive (of course, with current activity levels, its ideological tilt isn't that important). IDS gets a bit more conservative, but not terribly.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 09:25:35 PM »

Half of a left-leaning region is combined with half of a right-leaning one (Midwest and Mideast); other than that, NE stays the same and competitive, and there's really not a practical way to get the Pacific competitive (of course, with current activity levels, its ideological tilt isn't that important). IDS gets a bit more conservative, but not terribly.

Doesn't sound too bad, for the most part.  This should definitely be considered.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 09:25:49 PM »

It looks to be a good map (with Maryland going to the IDS, of course Wink),

Maryland (and by extension, DC) belongs to the Northeast -not the South.  Let the Potomac remain the dividing line between the two regions.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Who knows what our membership as a whole will look like years from now.  The Mideast, for instance, has done a complete 180 within the past seven years.  It now rivals the South for being the most conservative region in Atlasia.  
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 09:31:03 PM »

It looks to be a good map (with Maryland going to the IDS, of course Wink),

Maryland (and by extension, DC) belongs to the Northeast -not the South.  Let the Potomac remain the dividing line between the two regions.  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Who knows what our membership as a whole will look like years from now.  The Mideast, for instance, has done a complete 180 within the past seven years.  It now rivals the South for being the most conservative region in Atlasia.  

The Northeast is a populous and active region the way it is, now.  It really doesn't require additional states or territories.

I know that regions change over time, but at the same time we should avoid gerrymandering as much as we can.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 05:06:23 AM »

Even if you manage to re-draw the regions in any of the above-mentioned ways, don't forget that people could simply change their state of registration in order to stay in the same region as before. I for my part would certainly do that should Kentucky become a part of the South. If many people do this, the new map will not have a big impact.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2012, 05:53:53 AM »

Even if you manage to re-draw the regions in any of the above-mentioned ways, don't forget that people could simply change their state of registration in order to stay in the same region as before. I for my part would certainly do that should Kentucky become a part of the South. If many people do this, the new map will not have a big impact.

Wouldn't people moving around cause some sort of activity anyways, as is the goal of this?
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 05:46:03 PM »

I don't understand how you guys think the region map needs seriously redrawn, and then only want to redraw the two left-wing regions.

I don't mind left-wing, and I think we could sit down and squabble about precise borders, etc. all day long, but what's important is that the game is fun.  As it is, some regions are uncompetitive, and that's gotta change, and we could take a look at it.  But I think we should look at 2 or 3 different maps, let people vote their preference (which would include a "status quo" and "other" choices.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies