Should the Regions map be re-drawn? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:15:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Should the Regions map be re-drawn? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should the Regions map be re-drawn?
Yes

No

who cares

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Should the Regions map be re-drawn?  (Read 7511 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« on: May 15, 2012, 04:59:01 PM »

Yes, but it depends on how they are redrawn. If it's done by current registration, there would have to be 3 regions as opposed to 4 or 5, due to the density of the Northeast.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 06:58:37 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2012, 07:00:45 PM by Adam Griffin »

I think it became too serious of an idea (pertaining to the last 24 hours of talk); I just like making maps. Smiley

They don't necessarily have to be equal, just balanced enough to function. Activity doesn't come from having numbers. Merging the Pacific and Midwest would give a large region with an inactive population.

True about the size/function, but I am curious as to what other way the regions could be divided without going off of numbers? Activity would be a great way to base it, but how exactly do you quantify that into the process?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 09:36:31 PM »

Keeping 5 regions in this one:

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 03:31:18 PM »

Look, I don't see why it would be a good idea to balance the regions in terms of population - for all we know, the current population imbalance is just a temporary problem, and soon the Midwest is going to be hugely overpopulated or something.  I do agree that it should be addressed in terms of representation, which is why I introduced an amendment to reintroduce district seats to replace regional Senate seats, but population can move around.  It's just... not, for some reason.

I fully get what you are saying. I think it's a good idea to have district seats that allow for equalish representation as you mentioned. There doesn't appear to be any mechanism in place right now that takes that into account.

Population fluctuations are bound to happen, but it's not as if anyone can pack up and move from one region to the next on a daily basis. New recruits probably are going to join their respective home region, so it's difficult to take that into account when planning because we don't know who's going to join in the future. I realize this could be used against what I'm saying as well, but I don't see why initially basing a redraw off of current population is any worse than breaking apart existing regions and reassigning those states (randomly) to other regions. I mean, we already have an imbalance right now in activity and population between the regions; why go through the hassle of changing boundaries if we end up with a similar result?

While I do not advocate this policy, what if the regions were tied to the Census and redrawn every one, two, or three months? I can't see such an idea being all that popular and I would much prefer seeing a "House" take care of this, but I would think over time the same problems existing today (unequal population and activity) would manifest unless there were only 3 or (perhaps) 4 regions. I guess my summary is that no matter how they are redrawn (or if), there's going to be imbalance, but we could do a "one-time reset" on the problem and allow entropy to go from there.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies