Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 01, 2014, 02:03:06 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  When will my imprisonment end?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: When will my imprisonment end?  (Read 3192 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2012, 07:50:06 am »
Ignore

Inks and BRTD showing up has really taken this thread to a new level

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
Coming for to carry me home.
Mr. Morden
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2012, 08:16:12 am »
Ignore

Also, being on mod review doesn't absolve you of responsibility for the content of your posts. If you make a post while on review that otherwise would be infracted, you cannot expect to escape infraction simply because you're on review.

But in that case, what does the word review in 'moderator review' mean?  A moderator already reviewed and approved it Nym. 

That's actually a very good point. While a mod might exercise discretion to modify/delete a post on their board even after it was mod reviewed, but assessing points for such a post sounds highly 'bait and switch'-ish.

Of course, different mods have different standards, and there's no record of which mod approved which post.  You could have a rogue mod approving every opebo post regardless of content just for kicks, and we'd never know who it was.

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2012, 02:47:59 pm »
Ignore

Also, being on mod review doesn't absolve you of responsibility for the content of your posts. If you make a post while on review that otherwise would be infracted, you cannot expect to escape infraction simply because you're on review.

But in that case, what does the word review in 'moderator review' mean?  A moderator already reviewed and approved it Nym. 

That's actually a very good point. While a mod might exercise discretion to modify/delete a post on their board even after it was mod reviewed, but assessing points for such a post sounds highly 'bait and switch'-ish.

Of course, different mods have different standards, and there's no record of which mod approved which post.  You could have a rogue mod approving every opebo post regardless of content just for kicks, and we'd never know who it was.

If you're worried about that you need new people.....and I don't think you need new people.  Like Badg, I agree that opebo's point is very well taken.

I only had 3 sandwiches instead of my normal 4.

Also, shut up NewYorkExpress you creep.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2012, 02:50:35 pm »
Ignore

Nah... Sam's gone now. Tongue
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2012, 02:57:33 pm »
Ignore

But I hope to have you with me for the duration.

Well, that depends on what you consider to be 'me' and how you define 'with'.  I used to be with you, for sure.  But now not so much.

Thanks for the reasonableness, Badger.

But, Mr. Morden, how can that possibly be my fault, even where such an unlikely event to occur?

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2012, 10:33:18 pm »
Ignore

But, Mr. Morden, how can that possibly be my fault, even where such an unlikely event to occur?

Who do you think is responsible for the content of your posts?

But no, you surely couldn't ever be at fault, right?

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2012, 11:08:27 am »
Ignore

But the content was pre-approved in the cases we're discussing here.  Obviously we hardly have any idea what you all want us to write, but if we've managed to please you once, it isn't really fair to go back and death point things you approved before in a magnanimous mood when you feel a fit of pique or indigestion later.

Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2012, 11:17:55 am »
Ignore

Dave has made it clear on multiple instances what the standards of conduct are. If you continue to be unclear about them, feel free to e-mail him to ask for clarification.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2012, 12:18:28 pm »
Ignore

Dave has made it clear on multiple instances what the standards of conduct are. If you continue to be unclear about them, feel free to e-mail him to ask for clarification.

I'm clear on the statements made by authority, but I'm sure we can all agree that the definitions are very uncertain, subjective, and changing all the time.  It isn't like - 'thou shalt not kill', or 'don't jaywalk'.  For example, 'excessive hyperbole' does actually cover the entirety of many people's political opinions, beliefs, and observations, and it is in any case very difficult for any poster to determine precisely what would or would not be 'excessive'.

The same is true of 'trolling'.  How is one to know whether a moderator will decide that one's heartfelt opinion about an issue is being presented merely to attract vitriol from others?  After all, anything outside a narrow band of very moderate opinion is bound to inflame such vitriol.

I hope you understand, Nym, that there can never be any definitive explanation of how to please the authority that now exists, but only vague guidelines which leave us feeling quite anxious at all times, and I hope you will keep this fact in mind when judging those of us struggling with it.

True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 20, 2012, 03:21:47 pm »
Ignore

But the content was pre-approved in the cases we're discussing here.  Obviously we hardly have any idea what you all want us to write, but if we've managed to please you once, it isn't really fair to go back and death point things you approved before in a magnanimous mood when you feel a fit of pique or indigestion later.

You miss the reason for putting a poster on moderation.  It is not so that the poster can continue to write whatever they like with the worst thing that happens because of an egregious post is that it never is seen by anyone other than a moderator.  Since we can't infract a post without first approving it, approving a post to be infracted and deleted is perfectly reasonable.

My ballot:
Haley(R) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 20, 2012, 05:07:54 pm »
Ignore

I can't find where he said it, but at one point, Dave did say it was permissible to allow a post through moderation and then to infract it.  He just discouraged that from being done a majority of the time.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 20, 2012, 05:41:39 pm »
Ignore

You miss the reason for putting a poster on moderation.

No I got the point perfectly clearly, though obviously I'm not allowed to say what it is.  But all the above examples of arbitrariness come as no surprise to me.

Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2012, 05:48:20 pm »
Ignore

NEVER

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2012, 07:30:52 pm »
Ignore

NEVER

Be careful about honest answers, Frodo.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 20, 2012, 07:40:08 pm »
Ignore

If you are on mod review, and "post" for mod vetting that Obama should be assassinated because he is a space alien, and thus ineligible for office, Jews burned at the stake so that they can feel Jesus' pain up close and personal (oh, he wasn't burned at the stake was he?), and gays castrated, and every third word is the F word, and the mod chooses to not let that post see the light of day, does that post nevertheless get infracted? Or is the infraction risk only for posts that are "approved?" Lawyers have this insatiable need to know what is in each theoretically possible little box.

Well I guess DAVE shut off mod review, so the whole issue is moot. One just sails along until one hits 100 points now.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 20, 2012, 07:58:23 pm »
Ignore

Lawyers have this insatiable need to know what is in each theoretically possible little box.

You're still looking for certainties, here?

Well I guess DAVE shut off mod review, so the whole issue is moot. One just sails along until one hits 100 points now.

What?  Where do you get that bit of news?  I wonder if it has anything to do with my maltreatment.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2012, 08:04:38 pm »
Ignore

Lawyers have this insatiable need to know what is in each theoretically possible little box.

You're still looking for certainties, here?

What?  Where do you get that bit of news?  I wonder if it has anything to do with my maltreatment.

No it was a software glitch it seems, where once one was on mod review, there was no way to bring the poster back from limbo. DAVE made some brief mention of it, and that he was turning it off (read the texts more closely buddy, and then you won't have to rely on a certain particular class enemy so much Smiley ) . That of course does not mean that it won't be fixed. Tongue
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:09:57 pm by Torie »Logged

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2012, 08:51:33 pm »
Ignore

Everyone should just get a fycking life.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Posting at nearly 3am. You don't have to point it out, it's done already. And?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2012, 08:54:39 pm »
Ignore

Everyone should just get a fycking life.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Posting at nearly 3am. You don't have to point it out, it's done already. And?

Move to strike as non-responsive your Honor. As counsel noted, he's fatigued. Perhaps we should adjourn until the AM.

Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2012, 10:18:33 pm »
Ignore

If you are on mod review, and "post" for mod vetting that Obama should be assassinated because he is a space alien, and thus ineligible for office, Jews burned at the stake so that they can feel Jesus' pain up close and personal (oh, he wasn't burned at the stake was he?), and gays castrated, and every third word is the F word, and the mod chooses to not let that post see the light of day, does that post nevertheless get infracted? Or is the infraction risk only for posts that are "approved?" Lawyers have this insatiable need to know what is in each theoretically possible little box.

A post can't be infracted unless it's approved.
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2012, 10:22:01 pm »
Ignore

Considering how often mods disagree and how arbitrary some can be, that opens some huge issues if one mod is perfectly fine with a post but then another freaks out over it. I've received infractions for posts I've been told by other mods that they didn't find offensive at all.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2012, 10:28:38 pm »
Ignore

Considering how often mods disagree and how arbitrary some can be, that opens some huge issues if one mod is perfectly fine with a post but then another freaks out over it. I've received infractions for posts I've been told by other mods that they didn't find offensive at all.

Yes.  It would be far better to have just one dictator telling us what to say rather than - how many moderators are there?

Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2012, 11:32:34 am »
Ignore

In that case, please feel free to appeal to me and/or Dave for a second opinion. I agree that the fact that the mods haven't all been assimilated by the Borg and are still seperate individuals with differing opinions is a cause of confusion at times. Smiley
Nym90
nym90
Modadmin
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 21, 2012, 11:37:49 am »
Ignore

Yes.  It would be far better to have just one dictator telling us what to say rather than - how many moderators are there?

In the beginning it did work that way, with Dave doing all moderation himself. As the Forum grew in size, it became a large enough task as to be delegated to others to act in his stead. I'm sure he'd be interested in hearing your suggestions for how to best improve his site, however, and would encourage you to contact him directly with your opinions.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2012, 02:47:28 am »
Ignore

In the beginning it did work that way, with Dave doing all moderation himself. As the Forum grew in size, it became a large enough task as to be delegated to others to act in his stead. I'm sure he'd be interested in hearing your suggestions for how to best improve his site, however, and would encourage you to contact him directly with your opinions.
The he should give all the powers to the mods  related to moderation and act as a Supreme Mod when he disagrees with a moderator's decision?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout