Dinner Doodle: The Separation of Church and School (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:42:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Dinner Doodle: The Separation of Church and School (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dinner Doodle: The Separation of Church and School  (Read 5183 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: May 16, 2012, 09:54:40 AM »

this week's dinner doodle dives into the topic of comparing the voices of the world our kids are exposed to verses the word of God by talking about the differences between the message our kids hear at church and the one they hear at school.

It even disects the viewpoint of our political leaders.  So, print out several copies and pass them around the dinner table and enjoy a feast of the Word and whatever else you're eating.

here is a link to the printable PDF version:

http://library.constantcontact.com/download/get/file/1101781144813-269/DOODLE65Separation+of+Church+and+School.pdf
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »

Obviously a disgraceful message. I love how it asks children how they feel if their families ‘values’ are challenged; that’s what school is for; to challenge children. Any self respecting parent would welcome that, even if it conflicts with their own understanding of the world.

so, it is ok for a school to ask other peoples' kids to question their family values, but it's "disgraceful" for a parent to ask their own kids to question the school's values?!

are you for real?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 10:46:41 AM »

Obviously a disgraceful message. I love how it asks children how they feel if their families ‘values’ are challenged; that’s what school is for; to challenge children. Any self respecting parent would welcome that, even if it conflicts with their own understanding of the world.

so, it is ok for a school to ask other peoples' kids to question their family values, but it's "disgraceful" for a parent to ask their own kids to question the school's values?!

are you for real?

You really need to learn that there are two types of discussion on this forum; what people say and what you think people say. Please do not argue with what is in your head, argue with what is on the screen.

That’s exactly what you implied.  I simply took your same argument and applied it from the other side of the equation.  Don’t blame if the flipside exposed your argument (as if it even needed to be exposed, being so obviously flawed).

---

It is very important to question the value system of any institution including schools. I just find it ironic the dinner doodle writer seems to think that what matters to most children is what matters to their fretful Christian parents; gays, prayer and Jesus riding a dinosaur rather than what is important to children; whether or not they are being bullied, whether or not they understand their work, exams and whether or not they need assistance. That's what should be being questioned in schools.

I have posted dinner doodles on bullying and these other topics…and doing well in school is a huge priority on our church and both my pastor’s kids are college grads and he sometimes worked 3 jobs to put them through school. 

For you to say those things (bullying and schoolwork) are only to be questioned really demonstrates your bias – you don’t want parents questioning the immorality taught in schools, to do so in your mind is misguided and disgraceful.   

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:51:12 AM »

1. Blatantly false. The subject of abortion isn't even broached in most public schools.

how do you know this?  do you have children in school?

---

2. Blatantly false. At most schools are required to teach kids not to bully others for their sexual orientation. If anything most teacher tip-toe around the subject even in that case. Teaching it as God-designed is blatantly unconstitutional as well, as that goes into religion.

---

4. False. The teaching of history in high school is certainly flawed, but only because it is dumbed down. The religious character of the founding fathers isn't really even touched in most schools, let alone misrepresented.

---

5. Blatantly false. Public schools cannot prohibit students to pray, with the exception of when a student is trying to lead a prayer as part of an official school event. Students can even make prayer gatherings outside of class time if they so choose, as they often did around the flag pole at my school. What is prohibited is the school endorsing and encouraging prayer.

that is exactly the point
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »

1. Blatantly false. The subject of abortion isn't even broached in most public schools.

so, you're actually trying to tell me abortion is NOT even broached in sex ed class?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 11:22:06 AM »

I know these thing because I went to public school and I keep up with these issues.

What exactly is your evidence for the claims?

so, did you keep up with the public school that facilitated an abortion for a 15 year old in WA?

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/88971742.html#Two

And you’re obviously not aware of what is going on statewide in MA in H597.

Just to name a few official instances, much less the instances where teachers take it upon themselves to attempt to discredit the bible.  Even in the public school my kids attend, it is fully of liberal teachers openly cussing and promoting immorality.

---

No, the placemat says they "must not allow prayer" - that is a gross oversimplification and a child is likely to interpret it as the schools not allowing prayer at all.

Well, when the school doesn’t allow anyone to pray publically, the message the kid gets is that school is opposed to prayer in schools.  Kids correctly extrapolate.

---

What curriculums are you aware of, exactly?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 11:40:50 AM »

Dibble, you seem to be saying that "if it is not offically mandated, then it is not going on."

That's naive, for even in our local highschool, my daughter and her friends have constant stories that support the allegations of this doodle - teachers openly mocking the bible and pushing immorality to the kids.  In fact, the head coach of girls basketball team of Montgomery High School is a open lesbian and tells her girls inappropriate stories about her and her girlfriend, and textes inappropiate messages to the girls on the team. 

To claim that 1) Christian kids aren't inidated with constant messages from school staff that contradict biblical teaching, 2) there doesn't exist a movement to officallly condone homosexuality and abortion in schools...is really having your head buried in the sand.

And if you want to see what is coming to America every soon, just look at Europe, where teachers at a PRESCHOOL (that's right, PRE-SCHOOL) are being taught to refer to every kids as gender neutral.

http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/26/no-boys-and-girls-at-gender-neutral-preschool-in-sweden/

and please note that story comes from CNN, clearly not a source of "evangelical Christian propaganda"
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »

surprised on one as made mention of this portion of the doodle:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 04:37:26 PM »

I'll have to catch up with this thread tomorrow.  I used all my daily quarters on the other thread.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 01:27:07 PM »
« Edited: May 17, 2012, 01:28:42 PM by consigliere jmfcst »

the main problem with the school is many of the teachers are godless and do not represent the community at all, and many students, under attack from teachers, have to stand their ground on morals

notice I made this statement months before this dinner doodle was published...

I hardly doubt what is going on in our public school is an aberration...but I'm not going to waste time googling incidences in other parts of the country, for of all the examples that have happened just at our highschool, I don't think any ever made the news.  Most of the examples in our school happen in the classroom and are simply reported to parents like me by children like mine, and I assume that is the case in the vast majority of these instances throughout the country.

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2012, 03:14:32 PM »

Couple of Points:

1)   How many godless, intellectually dishonest, incompetent “scholars” running universities have we dragged through the mud on this board over the years?  If that is what is running the universities (as well as the Hollywood, the media, and even many seminaries), are you people going to come on this thread and deny that the public primary and secondary schools in this country aren’t following suit…as if the public education system is immune to trends in society?  Does it make sense that the rest of society is moving one direction and our public schools are staying basically constant?!  Of course not, the public schools are moving along with it.

2)   Many of you probably wouldn’t recognize an attack on Christian morals (e.g. Obama believing he was being taught Christian values without a bible in the house of without attending a church…or Dibble not see anything wrong with Bill H.597).  Your senses have become dulled, but not only you, for even many grads from seminary have rejected the bible (e.g. among Anglican clergy, only 80% believe in the bodily resurrection of Christ, and only 60% believe in the Virgin Birth, and only 61% believe Jesus turned water into wine).  There is basically a landslide taking place where Western society is rapidly moving away from Christian beliefs, and the reason most of you don’t realize it is because, relatively speaking, you’re along for the ride, therefore you sense little to no relative motion.  The motion is only obvious if one remain still.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies