Dinner Doodle: The Separation of Church and School (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:04:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Dinner Doodle: The Separation of Church and School (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Dinner Doodle: The Separation of Church and School  (Read 5180 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 16, 2012, 10:02:18 AM »

Obviously a disgraceful message. I love how it asks children how they feel if their families ‘values’ are challenged; that’s what school is for; to challenge children. Any self respecting parent would welcome that, even if it conflicts with their own understanding of the world.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:48 AM »

Obviously a disgraceful message. I love how it asks children how they feel if their families ‘values’ are challenged; that’s what school is for; to challenge children. Any self respecting parent would welcome that, even if it conflicts with their own understanding of the world.

so, it is ok for a school to ask other peoples' kids to question their family values, but it's "disgraceful" for a parent to ask their own kids to question the school's values?!

are you for real?

You really need to learn that there are two types of discussion on this forum; what people say and what you think people say. Please do not argue with what is in your head, argue with what is on the screen.

It is very important to question the value system of any institution including schools. I just find it ironic the dinner doodle writer seems to think that what matters to most children is what matters to their fretful Christian parents; gays, prayer and Jesus riding a dinosaur rather than what is important to children; whether or not they are being bullied, whether or not they understand their work, exams and whether or not they need assistance. That's what should be being questioned in schools.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 11:40:24 AM »

Ironically, I went to a private religious school and all these topics were touched on. We had a Pro-Life Group and no opposing group was allowed; did it make everyone pro-life? No. I was pro-choice and talked about it publically and the split was probably 50/50 in opinion. No discussions of homosexuality, no literature allowed about it either. I was first out in my year, never had any problems and any church sanctioned messages about gays were openly challenged. Out of a graduating year of 80 students (and this is our reunion year) we have 10 openly LGBT.

So you can establish a 'jmfcst utopia' in schools; it doesn't translate to confirmity.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies