Is it tightening?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:18:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Is it tightening?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Is it tightening?  (Read 4149 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2012, 11:29:04 AM »

I'm sorry pbrower, but I fail to see where that contradicts (or even has anything to do with) what I said about winning New Hampshire, Iowa, Colorado, Nevada, Wisconsin, or Pennsylvania.

While I agree it would be nicer if the base and the politicians were a bit more moderate-friendly, this version of Mitt Romney can still win a number of those states while being conservative.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2012, 11:57:38 AM »

To win back the North the Republicans must win back the sorts of voters best described as 'Rockefeller Republicans' whose politicians included the likes of Norm Coleman, Gordon Smith, Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, Arlen Specter, Jim Jeffords, and Lincoln Chaffee who were nearly libertarian on economic issues and libertarian on personal rights. The Hard Right offers nothing to them that Barack Obama doesn't offer but would impose specific superstitions and harsh repression as well as (at the least) cultural bigotry. 

Whadda fuk?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2012, 09:54:22 PM »

Yeah it's a tough call which was more absurd in that post, the inclusion of Coleman or the idea that any of the people listed were libertarian economically or socially.
AmericanNation

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2012, 10:50:40 PM »

um... that just isn't true. Any of Iowa, New Hampshire, Colorado, or Nevada will do. And if Romney can break into Wisconsin, Michigan, or Pennsylvania, that won't even matter.

Nothing indicates that Mitt Romney is a more astute politician than Dubya was. Cultural patterns in the Northern states have not suddenly become more amenable to Republican pols. The Tea Party is a political flash-in-the-pan, its electoral success leading to further erosion of respect for Congress. 

To win back the North the Republicans must win back the sorts of voters best described as 'Rockefeller Republicans' whose politicians included the likes of Norm Coleman, Gordon Smith, Susan Collins, Olympia Snowe, Arlen Specter, Jim Jeffords, and Lincoln Chaffee who were nearly libertarian on economic issues and libertarian on personal rights. The Hard Right offers nothing to them that Barack Obama doesn't offer but would impose specific superstitions and harsh repression as well as (at the least) cultural bigotry. 

Mitt Romney must move to the center -- but the Hard Right won't let him. I see him vulnerable to the sort of assault on his business ethics (John Corzine would have the same trouble if he were the Democratic nominee) that Republicans used against John Kerry -- if the "flip-flop". "Multiple Choice", or "Etch-a-Sketch" argument either isn't used first or fails. 

So you hate christian conservatives and evangelicals.  That's really southern politicians like George W Bush. 

Reagan didn't have a difficult time winning northern states, but he was from California. 

Mitt will talk a little about evangelicalism, but no one believes him especially the evangelicals.  That is why Santorum won all his votes so easily.  I don't think christianity will be much of an issue for Romney voters in the North.  I'll have to look at the polling in the north but Romney is not seen as a religious radical.

It will be interesting to see who he picks for VP, but knowing Romney, it likely won't be a religious firebrand either. 
yea pbrower I don't know what you are talking about.  Mitt Romney is a Michigan-Massachusetts Harvard grad and Portman is an Ohio Dartmouth guy.  You're telling me that that ticket would be to "extreme" to win in the mid west ("North").     

impose specific superstitions and harsh repression as well as (at the least) cultural bigotry. 

...how about name one single thing.  LOL

I don't think Mitt Romney is campaigning on imposing any social issue on America.  In fact that is the dems, all the centrist repubs do is oppose the radical dems radical-ness... not to extreme. 

Also, the extreme enviros are wedging the rust belt out of the dem tent, so again the gop isn't the one with the extreme problem. 
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies