Your opinion of this person?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:36:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your opinion of this person?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Poll
Question: What's your opinion of this person?
FF
HP
Liar
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your opinion of this person?  (Read 18488 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2012, 07:24:29 AM »
« edited: May 18, 2012, 07:26:35 AM by Iatrogenesis »

So let me remind all serious people out there, the problem with the OP is not he is a hard-worker but that he boasts of being in the 1% and implies that those that aren't are lazy. He is a moral wazzle. And pretty typical of the self-proclaimed wealth creator class.
I don't think the kid was trying to say he/she was part of the 1%.  The way I read it was that he/she was not part of the "99%".

Maybe so, but is that something worth boasting about? Something worth developing a sense of superiority on?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #76 on: May 18, 2012, 08:04:19 AM »

massa treats me real good! i don't know what all y'all is complaining about

is really all that needs to be said about this delusional idiot with the sign.

I'd been confused by this statement. Until you posted I thought that it was an Eric Massa joke.

I thought the same thing, until I read it again.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2012, 11:28:02 AM »

So let me remind all serious people out there, the problem with the OP is not he is a hard-worker but that he boasts of being in the 1% and implies that those that aren't are lazy. He is a moral wazzle. And pretty typical of the self-proclaimed wealth creator class.
I don't think the kid was trying to say he/she was part of the 1%.  The way I read it was that he/she was not part of the "99%".

Maybe so, but is that something worth boasting about? Something worth developing a sense of superiority on?
If he/she considers the "99%" to be a bunch of lazy jerkoffs blocking traffic and destroying the bathrooms of local establishments, sure, why not?  Would it be any worse than the superiority shown in this thread going in the other direction?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »

A good person, & emblematic of the right kind of attitude.

How so? The whole point of him posting that is to show his superiority to everyone who doesn't fit into that particular box he sets himself. Why else boast of going to be in the 1%? I mean who does that, really?

I understood his "I am not the 99%" bit to be declaring that he does not feel solidarity with the occupier crowd, not necessarily that he is the 1%. Of course, such subtleties can be difficult to communicate over the internet.

The way I see it, so many people today suffer from a need for instant gratification & an inability to take responsibility. His lifestyle demonstrates a great deal of self-control and responsibility. I'll admit that his tone is slightly patronizing, but I still find his story to be something intensely admirable.

I hereby take offense to this.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2012, 12:02:23 PM »

How so? The whole point of him posting that is to show his superiority to everyone who doesn't fit into that particular box he sets himself. Why else boast of going to be in the 1%? I mean who does that, really?

I understood his "I am not the 99%" bit to be declaring that he does not feel solidarity with the occupier crowd, not necessarily that he is the 1%. Of course, such subtleties can be difficult to communicate over the internet.

The way I see it, so many people today suffer from a need for instant gratification & an inability to take responsibility. His lifestyle demonstrates a great deal of self-control and responsibility. I'll admit that his tone is slightly patronizing, but I still find his story to be something intensely admirable.

did you seriously just report me over that one? wow.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2012, 04:20:36 PM »

Oh come on.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2012, 04:23:06 PM »

Individual Lolitics
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2012, 05:42:50 AM »

I don't think the kid was trying to say he/she was part of the 1%.  The way I read it was that he/she was not part of the "99%".

I don't think that's a charitable interpretation of the sign. I would interpret it as saying "I'm not part of the OWS movement and do not share their ideals" which here is short-handed as saying "I'm not the 99%"

You're assuming that the person is using 99% the way the OWS movement does (i.e. the bottom 99% of the wealth distribution). Given the context I doubt that.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2012, 05:44:38 AM »

This thread was going so well with facile argumentation and needless tit-for-tat over slogans and then Gustaf had to come along and ruin it with his "serious person" shtick. So can we all get back to original point of this thread - noticing how much of a giant douche the guy in the OP is.

You will thank me when you grow up. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2012, 06:40:01 AM »

I don't think that's a charitable interpretation of the sign. I would interpret it as saying "I'm not part of the OWS movement and do not share their ideals" which here is short-handed as saying "I'm not the 99%"

You're assuming that the person is using 99% the way the OWS movement does (i.e. the bottom 99% of the wealth distribution). Given the context I doubt that.

The "...and whether or not you are is YOUR decision" suggests otherwise. Of course it's your decision whether or not you take part to OWS, but it is so obvious that it wouldn't be worth saying. Rather, it seems to imply that the poor are poor because of their own laziness.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2012, 08:47:20 AM »

this lol
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2012, 09:07:57 AM »

I'm going with the moderate hero option on this one.

Although I do agree about hard work helping people succeed I find this person's lack of humility disturbing.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2012, 09:00:00 AM »

I'm not assuming anything except from the tone which his message exudes excludes him from any other personal social rating of mine other than "clearly a douche". After all, why go to all this effort to make such a laboured and uninteresting point?

As for growing up, I tried that once and I thought it was overrated.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »

In a perfect world all people would have that work ethic.
golden
Rookie
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2012, 06:13:38 PM »

In a perfect world all people would have that work ethic.

In a perfect world all people were enabled to translate their potential work ethics into action.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »
« Edited: May 22, 2012, 11:59:16 AM by Severe Simfan34 »

I'm going with the moderate hero option on this one.

Although I do agree about hard work helping people succeed I find this person's lack of humility disturbing.

It's not a lack of humility. It's a reaction to the constant whinging of those without the drive to work hard. It's not bragging as much as it is a counterpoint.

Yes, I did, for needless belittlement of those with a work ethic that differs from yours, and the unnecessary racial overtones. While I think his work ethic is great and your clearly disagree, I find the comparison to an "Uncle Tom", a whole mindset I despise passionately, to simply be over the line.

I find no fault with what he/she wrote. Again, it follows and mimics the language of others who went about describing their struggles as the "99%" and really is supposed to be antithetical to what they've said. All pretension in the language stems from that of the originals:

His greatest fault is choosing "a moderately priced, in-state college". That, if anything, shall be his downfall. A poor choice, if he could have done better- we'll see that the divergence in incomes based upon university will increase dramatically over these next years and in the long run costs will very easily be recompensed for leading private universities.

And as a further note, I would not describe the example I've given above as "the constant whinging of those without the drive to work hard"; she has legitimate qualms but is misdiagnosing the problem. I chose this example because of the the clear parallels in form, there are others where the fault of the author is somewhat more apparent, but ultimately he/she who wrote the letter which we are discussing is reacting to the more egegious anti-capitalist, anti-responsibility overtones of the OWS movement as opposed to particular personal stories.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2012, 04:38:47 PM »

Yes, I did, for needless belittlement of those with a work ethic that differs from yours, and the unnecessary racial overtones. While I think his work ethic is great and your clearly disagree, I find the comparison to an "Uncle Tom", a whole mindset I despise passionately, to simply be over the line.

Hit a little too close to home, then?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2012, 04:58:08 PM »

Some things never change.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »

It is astounding to me how liberals can bash this person because he or she chooses not to identify with the radical Occupy protests... this is a person putting himself thru school doing the best he can for himself. He is making every right decision but because he ignores the talking points of a leftist group- you all disregard him

Truly astounding
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #94 on: May 22, 2012, 05:15:15 PM »

By the way folks- hard work DOES make some one superior! Sorry I'm not sorry to say it- I don't believe being wealthy does or any racial or ethnic or religious belief does... but working hard makes some one better then another who doesn't
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #95 on: May 22, 2012, 05:23:09 PM »

By the way folks- hard work DOES make some one superior! Sorry I'm not sorry to say it- I don't believe being wealthy does or any racial or ethnic or religious belief does... but working hard makes some one better then another who doesn't

Superiority is subjective.

Also, attention whoring about how hard you work automatically negates much of its value imho.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2012, 05:24:16 PM »

It is astounding to me how liberals can bash this person because he or she chooses not to identify with the radical Occupy protests... this is a person putting himself thru school doing the best he can for himself. He is making every right decision but because he ignores the talking points of a leftist group- you all disregard him

Truly astounding

No-one is disregarding him, we just know he's talking nonsense.

Also, if the belief that social inequality is unjust is now "radical" then I despair for our society...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: May 22, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »

So you're trying to say I'm not black enough? That's a first! But forget about me. Read the rest of my post.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 22, 2012, 05:29:40 PM »

Truly astounding

Also, if the belief that social inequality is unjust is now "radical" then I despair for our society...
I'm talking more of the methods and side beliefs- such as disruptive "mic checks", the radical anti-Americanism, etc... there is social inequality- every one believes that...but these people give me memories of those in the 60s who simply hated authority
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2012, 05:31:42 PM »

Truly astounding

I'm talking more of the methods and side beliefs- such as disruptive "mic checks", the radical anti-Americanism, etc... there is social inequality- every one believes that...but these people give me memories of those in the 60s who simply hated authority

Except they have an aim. I see both Occupy and the Tea Party as only addressing one side of the problem, for the record - the government and corporate elite are so entwined that they should both be the subject of these protests.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies