Your opinion of this person? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:40:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your opinion of this person? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's your opinion of this person?
FF
HP
Liar
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your opinion of this person?  (Read 18772 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: May 17, 2012, 01:25:09 PM »

A good person, & emblematic of the right kind of attitude.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 03:35:44 PM »

How so? The whole point of him posting that is to show his superiority to everyone who doesn't fit into that particular box he sets himself. Why else boast of going to be in the 1%? I mean who does that, really?

I understood his "I am not the 99%" bit to be declaring that he does not feel solidarity with the occupier crowd, not necessarily that he is the 1%. Of course, such subtleties can be difficult to communicate over the internet.

The way I see it, so many people today suffer from a need for instant gratification & an inability to take responsibility. His lifestyle demonstrates a great deal of self-control and responsibility. I'll admit that his tone is slightly patronizing, but I still find his story to be something intensely admirable.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 06:53:15 PM »

How so? The whole point of him posting that is to show his superiority to everyone who doesn't fit into that particular box he sets himself. Why else boast of going to be in the 1%? I mean who does that, really?

I understood his "I am not the 99%" bit to be declaring that he does not feel solidarity with the occupier crowd, not necessarily that he is the 1%. Of course, such subtleties can be difficult to communicate over the internet.

The way I see it, so many people today suffer from a need for instant gratification & an inability to take responsibility. His lifestyle demonstrates a great deal of self-control and responsibility. I'll admit that his tone is slightly patronizing, but I still find his story to be something intensely admirable.
massa treats me real good! i don't know what all y'all is complaining about

Clearly, everyone who lives within their means & does not whine about the lack of a free ride is an Uncle Tom. Try harder next time.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 07:08:27 PM »

Clearly, everyone who lives within their means & does not whine about the lack of a free ride is an Uncle Tom. Try harder next time.
thats not what i was actually implying. besides how are people supposed to 'live within their means' when the entire economy discourages savings thanks to high inflation and is based on consumption? don't you know your own side's talking points.

The economy also encourages wasting money on frivolities. If you look at the average person's budget, much of what they spend is wasted on expensive gadgets & oversized portions. Most people are stupid & easily led into making poor decisions that worsen their station. I'm not immune to this either, but I strive to improve.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 08:04:07 PM »

i think its just symptomatic of the bogus 'american exceptionalist/greatest nation ever' meme. thats why i think we're going to really burn, impossible to address problems if you get shouted down. the only people that understand the problem are really the fringes.

Oh, the country will burn. I have a couple of ideas for how to stop it, but they would never work. Such is life.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 08:14:24 PM »

i think its just symptomatic of the bogus 'american exceptionalist/greatest nation ever' meme. thats why i think we're going to really burn, impossible to address problems if you get shouted down. the only people that understand the problem are really the fringes.

Oh, the country will burn. I have a couple of ideas for how to stop it, but they would never work. Such is life.
democracy doesn't work

If it did, we wouldn't be at this juncture & I wouldn't be a member of some random minor party that will never win an important office. Fortunately, that was not one of the ideas. Tongue
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2012, 12:32:14 AM »

thats not what i was actually implying. besides how are people supposed to 'live within their means' when the entire economy discourages savings thanks to high inflation and is based on consumption? don't you know your own side's talking points.

The economy also encourages wasting money on frivolities. If you look at the average person's budget, much of what they spend is wasted on expensive gadgets & oversized portions. Most people are stupid & easily led into making poor decisions that worsen their station. I'm not immune to this either, but I strive to improve.

Yeah, those stupid unwashed masses. It's not like they are conditioned by society or anything (a society that elevates wealth and consumption, but also blames the individual for social failures).

I already acknowledged that society promotes this sort of behavior & that I am also prone to such impulses, same as everyone else. The problem I see is that so many of us (myself included, to some extent) continue to engage in such behavior, even after it becomes clear that it is self-destructive. Considering the strength of the drive to engage in this manner of behavior, my tendency is to admire people who can resist it.

I suppose referring to the people who can't resist it as stupid was rather mean, though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies