Your opinion of this person? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:24:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Your opinion of this person? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's your opinion of this person?
FF
HP
Liar
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your opinion of this person?  (Read 18794 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: May 18, 2012, 09:19:04 PM »

A good person, & emblematic of the right kind of attitude.

How so? The whole point of him posting that is to show his superiority to everyone who doesn't fit into that particular box he sets himself. Why else boast of going to be in the 1%? I mean who does that, really?

I understood his "I am not the 99%" bit to be declaring that he does not feel solidarity with the occupier crowd, not necessarily that he is the 1%. Of course, such subtleties can be difficult to communicate over the internet.

The way I see it, so many people today suffer from a need for instant gratification & an inability to take responsibility. His lifestyle demonstrates a great deal of self-control and responsibility. I'll admit that his tone is slightly patronizing, but I still find his story to be something intensely admirable.
massa treats me real good! i don't know what all y'all is complaining about

I hereby take offense to this.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »
« Edited: May 22, 2012, 11:59:16 AM by Severe Simfan34 »

I'm going with the moderate hero option on this one.

Although I do agree about hard work helping people succeed I find this person's lack of humility disturbing.

It's not a lack of humility. It's a reaction to the constant whinging of those without the drive to work hard. It's not bragging as much as it is a counterpoint.

A good person, & emblematic of the right kind of attitude.

How so? The whole point of him posting that is to show his superiority to everyone who doesn't fit into that particular box he sets himself. Why else boast of going to be in the 1%? I mean who does that, really?

I understood his "I am not the 99%" bit to be declaring that he does not feel solidarity with the occupier crowd, not necessarily that he is the 1%. Of course, such subtleties can be difficult to communicate over the internet.

The way I see it, so many people today suffer from a need for instant gratification & an inability to take responsibility. His lifestyle demonstrates a great deal of self-control and responsibility. I'll admit that his tone is slightly patronizing, but I still find his story to be something intensely admirable.
massa treats me real good! i don't know what all y'all is complaining about

I hereby take offense to this.
did you seriously just report me over that one? wow.

Yes, I did, for needless belittlement of those with a work ethic that differs from yours, and the unnecessary racial overtones. While I think his work ethic is great and your clearly disagree, I find the comparison to an "Uncle Tom", a whole mindset I despise passionately, to simply be over the line.

I find no fault with what he/she wrote. Again, it follows and mimics the language of others who went about describing their struggles as the "99%" and really is supposed to be antithetical to what they've said. All pretension in the language stems from that of the originals:

His greatest fault is choosing "a moderately priced, in-state college". That, if anything, shall be his downfall. A poor choice, if he could have done better- we'll see that the divergence in incomes based upon university will increase dramatically over these next years and in the long run costs will very easily be recompensed for leading private universities.

And as a further note, I would not describe the example I've given above as "the constant whinging of those without the drive to work hard"; she has legitimate qualms but is misdiagnosing the problem. I chose this example because of the the clear parallels in form, there are others where the fault of the author is somewhat more apparent, but ultimately he/she who wrote the letter which we are discussing is reacting to the more egegious anti-capitalist, anti-responsibility overtones of the OWS movement as opposed to particular personal stories.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »

So you're trying to say I'm not black enough? That's a first! But forget about me. Read the rest of my post.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:32:13 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2012, 05:33:58 PM by Severe Simfan34 »

It is astounding to me how liberals can bash this person because he or she chooses not to identify with the radical Occupy protests... this is a person putting himself thru school doing the best he can for himself. He is making every right decision but because he ignores the talking points of a leftist group- you all disregard him

Truly astounding

No-one is disregarding him, we just know he's talking nonsense.

Also, if the belief that social inequality is unjust is now "radical" then I despair for our society...

There is nothing nonsensical about hard work. What we have here is ridicule of those that defy the zeitgeist- not so much about what he does but what he says, the refusal to join in the whinging. Society today is all talk and no action, and we see him lambasted for his words and his action.
So you're trying to say I'm not black enough? That's a first! But forget about me. Read the rest of my post.
Simfan- I dont know who said or implied that...but to do so is insulting to you. I am sorry some one here would be rude- or RACIST enough- to imply that your views make you less of a black man then a liberal

I was going to say I was being hyperbolic but Marokai and Windis' posts certainly crossed a line...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:33:17 PM »

It is astounding to me how liberals can bash this person because he or she chooses not to identify with the radical Occupy protests... this is a person putting himself thru school doing the best he can for himself. He is making every right decision but because he ignores the talking points of a leftist group- you all disregard him

Truly astounding

No-one is disregarding him, we just know he's talking nonsense.

Also, if the belief that social inequality is unjust is now "radical" then I despair for our society...

There is nothing nonsensical about hard work. What we have here is ridicule of those that defy the zeitgeist- not so much about what he does but what he says, the refusal to join in the whinging. Society today is all talk and no action, and we see him lambasted for his words and his action.

You're mixing things up here. We all respect those who work hard. What we don't respect is those who proceed to attention whore and pour hatred on those who are less fortunate, as this whole movement seems to be aiming at. If you have a job, great, you're lucky. Just remember, you're a resource that they can do away with at any point they like.
Yes you are- you are a human resource. That's the way it works...they pay you and they can choose to stop paying you. I've let go many an employee for  malfeasance, negligence, intoxication on the job, criminal records, etc...
maybe people don't want everything to be commodified. maybe certain things like the family have intrinsic value and should be protected by the state or nation/tribe/community. you obviously did not read my previous posts though which already explained my problem obviously had nothing to do with this person's alleged work ethic and everything to do with his apologism for a system that is literally robbing us and destroying anything of lasting value within our culture.

oh and btw i have made it clear before i don't like occupy, if it was actually directed against the criminal banks i would support it but it clearly is not. just like the tea party was/is clearly not about 'fiscal responsibility.'
Fair enough- and I agree that the family ought to be protected...and I agree with WinDis that people ought to be respected more and if that requires laws to be passed to do so...that is an improtant discussion to have

For conservatives, I suppose, the important conflict is between their duties to the capitalist hierachy/order and their duties to tradition/family etc... my own belief (as a non-conservative with some sympathy for certain tenets of it, nonetheless) tends towards the monopolization and commodity fetishization of everything as being one of the worst culprits in what social conservatives would call "moral degradation"

I strongly agree with this.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies