Superbowl
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:47:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Superbowl
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who will win the Superbowl?
Patriots

Steelers

Eagles

Falcons

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: Superbowl  (Read 4419 times)
zachman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 16, 2005, 11:04:53 PM »

I say it will be Pats v. Falcon with the Patriots winning again. That's my unbiased two-cents.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 11:05:30 PM »

Patriots, naturally.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 11:06:05 PM »

Patriots
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 11:06:28 PM »

It's going to be hard but I think the Eagles will pull it off.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 11:36:22 PM »

I'll go with the odd prediction.  Falcons.
chris allen
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 12:06:08 AM »

Pats will beat the Falcons 34-20.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 12:07:29 AM »

I certainly don't thin Pittsburgh can beat New England, and I think whoever wins the AFC wins the whole thing.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 02:12:39 AM »

I certainly don't thin Pittsburgh can beat New England, and I think whoever wins the AFC wins the whole thing.

You also thought that the Eagles wouldn't have a record better than 7-9 this season. (Sorry, but I will bring that up until this season comes to an end.)

The Steelers - Patriots will be a great one. I think Pittsburgh can win but after watching their last game, I have my doubts. It'll be tough but I think they can win it. In the Super Bowl, I think the Eagles can beat the Steelers.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 02:24:08 AM »

You also thought that the Eagles wouldn't have a record better than 7-9 this season. (Sorry, but I will bring that up until this season comes to an end.)

The Steelers - Patriots will be a great one. I think Pittsburgh can win but after watching their last game, I have my doubts. It'll be tough but I think they can win it. In the Super Bowl, I think the Eagles can beat the Steelers.

The weather is a very important factor.  We never figured out what was up with Ben's thumb, but if it is so cold that he has to wear gloves again, that could be a problem.

I don't think people realize that the Jets were acctually way better than their record showed.  Look at the teams they had to play: New England (2), San Diego (2), Pittsburgh, Buffalo (2).

Also, the Jets seem to have Ben's number, as he is worst playing them.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 02:34:08 AM »

The weather is a very important factor.  We never figured out what was up with Ben's thumb, but if it is so cold that he has to wear gloves again, that could be a problem.

I don't think people realize that the Jets were acctually way better than their record showed.  Look at the teams they had to play: New England (2), San Diego (2), Pittsburgh, Buffalo (2).

Also, the Jets seem to have Ben's number, as he is worst playing them.

Hey Super, blame it on Rendell! He decided to show up and it's obvious that the time he decides to recognize the Steelers he almost cost them the game! (Sorry PA Dems and Rendell fans. I couldn't resist)

I hope they can pull off a win next week. I've been hoping for a Keystone Bowl for quite some time now.
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2005, 03:01:49 AM »

I'm also pretty sure I had the Patriots to repeat from day one, I had the jets in the playoffs when most people were waiting for an excuse to fire Herm Edwards, and called the fall of the Dallas Cowboys while people were still raising their glasses to Bill Parcells.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2005, 03:10:55 AM »

I'm also pretty sure I had the Patriots to repeat from day one, I had the jets in the playoffs when most people were waiting for an excuse to fire Herm Edwards, and called the fall of the Dallas Cowboys while people were still raising their glasses to Bill Parcells.

1) Calling for the Pats to repeat from day one isn't that much of a stretch. They're a good team. We have to wait and see if they can repeat as Super Bowl Champions so don't take credit just yet.

2) I have never really been impressed with the Jets. I guess if you asked me at week 1 if they'd make it, I would have told you no.

3) Calling the fall of the Cowboys isn't anything special either. What a joke of a team.

Now let's look over your biggest mistake: The Eagles with a 7-9 record at best. How do you explain that one?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2005, 03:55:09 AM »

1) Terrel Owens is not a cancer.  I was pretty sure he would be, since he hasn't been productive in two years.

2) Lito Shepard and Sheldon Brown don't suck.  Losing Bobby Taylor and Troy Vincent turned out not to be a big deal, since apparently Jim Johnson's system can turn anyone into a Pro Bowl Corner.  Neither brown nro Shepard were impressive when playing over the last few years, but now they're quite effective.  Vincent and Taylor were busts with their new teams, so it seems their success had more to do with Johnson than their own skills.

3) Brian Westbrook is durable.  He's what, 190 pounds?  He carried the ball more times than I thought he was physically capable of handling, meaning he was able to be a true feature back.

4) I hate the Eagles and the city's fans.  I am biased and incapable of making a fair evaluation fo any Philadelphia team because you all booed Santa Claus many years ago.

5) Not impressed with the Jets?  Why?  I guess making the playoffs in the AFC, having the League's rushing champ, and winning games while your #1 QB was injured isn't all that impressive I guess.

6) Yes, declaring the fall of the Cowboys is a big deal.  its obvious now that they're a joke, but they added a string of high priced free agents (Johnson, Testaverde, Wiley, George) and many people did put their faith in Bill Parcells at years beginning.

7) If New england wins the Super Bowl, it is impressive to call the World Champ at season's beginning.  No matter how good they are, whatever.  There are a lot of people who didn't pick them, including you.

Cool If you're seriously pissed about my hatred of the Eagles, that's pretty sad.  if you're just pulling my leg that's fine, but its kind of sad if you're not.  It would actually be a sign of a lack of confidence rather than of assurance.  I also noticed that your own prediction is conspicous by its absence from the prediciton thread.  I wonder what it is that you didn't want pulled up in later discussions?  I saw that someone did quote you putting the Colts third in their division, what else might you regret saying?  We all get stuff right, we all get stuff wrong.  One poster put the Cowboys and Raiders in the Super Bowl.  One had the Browns winning it all.  The idea that someone makes a bad predicition now and then means very little, back check the expert predictions at the begginning of the season from the entwork people.  These guys are ex-players, most of them in the Hall Of Fame, they know they're stuff and have the paycheck to prove it, but they get stuff wrong too.  Let it go.  And don't boo Santa Claus anymore.

I still believe that the Eagles will not win the Super Bowl, and don'tr have the heart to win it all.  The Falcons will probably beat them this weekend.  Then the Patriots will beat Atlanta in the Super Bowl in a game that comes straight from Paul Tagliabue's wet dreams (The best team of the era against the most exciting young talent in the League.  Talk about marketable).
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2005, 05:11:26 AM »

There's no 'who cares' option, so I abstain.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2005, 10:41:11 AM »

Falcons over Steelers  Cheesy
Schmitz in 1972
Liberty
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2005, 11:37:42 AM »

I'm going to say Falcons over Patriots (note: this is wishful thinking)
NHPolitico

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2005, 11:58:28 AM »

The SuperBowl is on Sunday and the Pats will win. The game in Jacksonville is for giggles.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2005, 12:10:54 PM »

6) Yes, declaring the fall of the Cowboys is a big deal.  its obvious now that they're a joke, but they added a string of high priced free agents (Johnson, Testaverde, Wiley, George) and many people did put their faith in Bill Parcells at years beginning.

7) If New england wins the Super Bowl, it is impressive to call the World Champ at season's beginning.  No matter how good they are, whatever.  There are a lot of people who didn't pick them, including you.

To 6... I was one of those poor pathetic saps... 

To 7 congrats so far! Becareful though, I remember when I predicted from the start of the season a few years ago Raiders over Bucs (and even said the Raiders would beat the Titans in the AFC Chapionship) and its a pain in the butt when your so sure you called it and one game messes you up.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2005, 12:33:19 PM »

4) I hate the Eagles and the city's fans.  I am biased and incapable of making a fair evaluation fo any Philadelphia team because you all booed Santa Claus many years ago.

Cool If you're seriously pissed about my hatred of the Eagles, that's pretty sad.  if you're just pulling my leg that's fine, but its kind of sad if you're not.  It would actually be a sign of a lack of confidence rather than of assurance.  I also noticed that your own prediction is conspicous by its absence from the prediciton thread.  I wonder what it is that you didn't want pulled up in later discussions?  I saw that someone did quote you putting the Colts third in their division, what else might you regret saying?  We all get stuff right, we all get stuff wrong.  One poster put the Cowboys and Raiders in the Super Bowl.  One had the Browns winning it all.  The idea that someone makes a bad predicition now and then means very little, back check the expert predictions at the begginning of the season from the entwork people.  These guys are ex-players, most of them in the Hall Of Fame, they know they're stuff and have the paycheck to prove it, but they get stuff wrong too.  Let it go.  And don't boo Santa Claus anymore.

I still believe that the Eagles will not win the Super Bowl, and don'tr have the heart to win it all.  The Falcons will probably beat them this weekend.  Then the Patriots will beat Atlanta in the Super Bowl in a game that comes straight from Paul Tagliabue's wet dreams (The best team of the era against the most exciting young talent in the League.  Talk about marketable).

First of all, the Santa Claus thing is over. Get over that. Let it go. Yes, we have some crazy fans but so do the Raiders, the Browns, the Giants...

Secondly, it's obvious your predictions for the Eagles season is biased. You gave some reasons but even in those situations, the Eagles could come away with a winning season.

As for my predictions, I don't know which one you are talking about. My predictions for the playoffs were there since before the wildcard games. Now there might have been a prediction from the beginning of the season where I posted the Colts placing third in their division. I was obviously wrong. Maybe that's just my dislike for that team. I'm glad to see them gone now.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 01:31:12 PM »

Patriots over Falcons

Basically, anybody but Philadelphia.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2005, 01:33:15 PM »

Patriots over Falcons

Basically, anybody but Philadelphia.

Sad
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2005, 03:53:14 PM »

To 7 congrats so far! Becareful though, I remember when I predicted from the start of the season a few years ago Raiders over Bucs (and even said the Raiders would beat the Titans in the AFC Chapionship) and its a pain in the butt when your so sure you called it and one game messes you up.

Anyone who gets both Superbowl teams right has done very well.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2005, 03:55:43 PM »

Anyone who gets both Superbowl teams right has done very well.

I proudly stand by my call for a Steelers-Eagles Super Bowl.   Smiley
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2005, 03:57:22 PM »

Falcons-Steelers is the right way to go.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2005, 08:34:08 PM »

Patriots. I don't believe the Steelers are strong enough to defeat the Patriots and no team in the NFC is strong enough to defeat them. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies