why are Houston hispanics less democrat than hispanics in other TX big cities?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:05:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  why are Houston hispanics less democrat than hispanics in other TX big cities?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: why are Houston hispanics less democrat than hispanics in other TX big cities?  (Read 996 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:04:20 AM »

looking at the heavily hispanic precincts in harris county, I found that Obama got only around 62-63 percent of the hispanic vote. That is a solid win but markedly below that in the other major counties (El Paso, Tarrant, Bexar, Dallas) where in the heavily hispanic precincts Obama got around 70-72 percent of the vote.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »

More of them might be from families living in the US for generations like lots in New Mexico instead of recent immigrants/descended from recent immigrants.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 04:42:53 AM »

Fewer than just about anywhere else (that is urban) are even US citizens, let alone registered to vote.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »

They are more likely to be Protestant. I've heard only 55% of Hispanics in Houston are Protestant, so there's your answer. 

I think this might change in the future, as more Hispanics from other parts of the country move in.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:32:17 PM »

They are more likely to be Protestant. I've heard only 55% of Hispanics in Houston are Protestant, so there's your answer. 

Well Houston does has always had somewhat of an evangelical presence, but I've always thought that the metroplex was far more fundie than the houston area. And Obama got around 70 percent in the heavily hispanic precincts in Dallas and Tarrant county.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 06:37:20 PM »

Well Houston does has always had somewhat of an evangelical presence, but I've always thought that the metroplex was far more fundie than the houston area. And Obama got around 70 percent in the heavily hispanic precincts in Dallas and Tarrant county.

Houston is more of a religiously diverse city than an evangelical one, it's suburbs however are a different story.

But I know Houston has been historically a haven for Protestant Hispanics, at one point 65% of the Hispanics in Houston were Protestant, it's rapidly increasing becoming more Catholic as years go by. 

I dunno about much of the Metroplex since I have never lived there, but I've been told it's more religiously diverse than Houston.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 11:23:44 PM »

Context has a lot to do with it.

Hispanics in South Texas (especially rural areas) vote Democratic because they're still steeped in the patrón system of politics (which is basically Latin American-style bribery/nepotism/favoritism).

Hispanics in San Antonio tend to live in the inner city and urban politics=Democratic politics.

Hispanics in DFW vote Democratic out of solidarity with one another. DFW is extremely segregated (blacks packed into South Dallas; Hispanics in the working class neighborhoods between Dallas and Fort Worth; Anglos in the Park Cities and the outer-ring suburbs).

Houston doesn't have the patronage system or the Democratic machine politics of The Valley or San Antonio, and it's a much more racially integrated city than Dallas is. So the above issues tend to be mitigated.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 01:43:00 AM »

Context has a lot to do with it.

Hispanics in South Texas (especially rural areas) vote Democratic because they're still steeped in the patrón system of politics (which is basically Latin American-style bribery/nepotism/favoritism).

Hispanics in San Antonio tend to live in the inner city and urban politics=Democratic politics.

Hispanics in DFW vote Democratic out of solidarity with one another. DFW is extremely segregated (blacks packed into South Dallas; Hispanics in the working class neighborhoods between Dallas and Fort Worth; Anglos in the Park Cities and the outer-ring suburbs).

Houston doesn't have the patronage system or the Democratic machine politics of The Valley or San Antonio, and it's a much more racially integrated city than Dallas is. So the above issues tend to be mitigated.

I'd say religion has a lot of a bigger factor than any of these.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies