Adams/Schweitzer. Two peas in a pod. Don't know which one is most ignorant.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:00:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Adams/Schweitzer. Two peas in a pod. Don't know which one is most ignorant.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Adams/Schweitzer. Two peas in a pod. Don't know which one is most ignorant.  (Read 3877 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 18, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »
« edited: May 18, 2012, 07:59:15 PM by Mitt Romney, Economic Heavyweight »

A Democrat in the North Carolina Assembly has just equalled Schweitzer in the ignorant bigot department.

How low can these Democrats go?  

In the case of Adams, she doesn't even know that the Mormon Church outlawed the practice of polygamy in 1890, and that any Mormon who practices it is excommunicated from the Church.

She had to eat her words, and was soundly condemned by the Democratic campaign.

But this act of sheer ignorance and bigotry by Adams makes me wonder how low are Democrats willing to stoop, and what swamps they are willing to wallow in in an attempt to score a few points from anyone ignorant enough to fall for this tripe.

It is complete ignorance to condemn Romney's faith, but to condemn something about his faith and it be completely wrong is just stupid.

Shame, shame, shame!    

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/democrat-invokes-mormon-polygamy-in-slamming-romne

Posted May 18, 2012 12:11pm EDT

In an interview with CNN.com, a North Carolina Democrat predicted trouble for Mitt Romney because of polygamy — a practice the candidate's church hasn't practiced in more than a century.

Rep. Alma Adams, who serves as chairwoman of the Legislative Black Caucus in the North Carolina General Assembly, said Romney will struggle for support among social conservatives in the state who voted to support a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage last week.

"If they look at that awful ballot amendment, and they compare that with his faith, I don't think people will be OK with it," Adams said. "From what I understand about the Mormon faith you can have multiple wives. That's sort of a contradiction. There are questions about who Romney is and what he believes in terms of that particular issue."

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints stopped practicing polygamy in 1890, and the practice is considered sinful in modern Mormonism. Polygamists are excommunicated from the Mormon Church.

In 2007, Romney said in an interview that he couldn't "imagine anything more awful than polygamy."

Adams's comments represent the second time in the past month that a Democrat has invoked polygamy in discussing Romney. In April, Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer went out of his way in an interview to point out that Romney's father was "born on a polygamy commune in Mexico.” The elder Romney was born in a Mexican settlement founded by Mormon polygamists in the 19th century, but he was in a monogamous marriage.

UPDATE: Adams apologized for her remarks. Her statement:

"I want to apologize in no uncertain terms for my comments on Mitt Romney and the Mormon faith. I recognize there is no place in our public or political discourse for such comments, I regret making them and am sorry for any hurt or misunderstanding they may have caused."

Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »

Schweitzer isn't ignorant, he was making a point about Romney's family.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 12:16:05 AM »

Schweitzer isn't ignorant, he was making a point about Romney's family.

Right.  An erroneous point in an orchestrated attempt to spread lies about Romney's family and those crazy Mormons.

By the way, if you want to play the family history game, one candidate's grandfather was a polygamist and father was at least a bigamist.  And it's not Mitt Romney.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 01:17:23 AM »

Guys, I'm a Mormon and I'm not offend by this. Well, I'm a little offended by the Schweitzer thing, but more of the "the darn things kids Governors say" than I am truly offended.

The South doesn't have a lot of Mormons, and this is a local politician trying to get her African-American constituents pumped up to vote against Mitt Romney. So I'm not all that bothered. In fact, I'm more bothered by those self-righteous religious conservatives that will call Mormonism a cult forever, but still use us as footsoldiers in conservative causes. Its one reason why I'm a liberal; at least the other side is honest about why they don't like us. Plus, Harry Reid is more likable than Orrin Hatch.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 06:13:04 AM »

In 2007, Romney said in an interview that he couldn't "imagine anything more awful than polygamy."

What is it with Romney and unnecessary hyperbole? Reminds me of the time he said this:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 12:01:36 AM »

What is it with Romney and unnecessary hyperbole? Reminds me of the time he said this:

Quote from: Restricted

I uh, I don't think Romney has read up on Mormon history; especially the last few years before mainstream Mormons (the branch I belong to) ended polygamy.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:12:21 AM »

Romney's great-grandfather must be in Hell if he did something worse than anything else Romney can imagine.  Too bad they'll never be reunited. At least Great Gramps Romney has Osama Bin Laden to keep him company.  As a fellow polygamist, I figure he's probably there too.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 10:47:17 AM »

Said a Republican.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 03:07:01 PM »

Says an anti-Romney zealot.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:11:41 PM »

Says an inexplicably pro-Romney hack.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »

Not to interrupt this great thread, but

That's kind of an odd quote
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »

Not to interrupt this great thread, but

That's kind of an odd quote

Doesn't that mean (according to Mittens) a guy having two or three wives is worse than genocide or slavery?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 04:03:31 PM »

And blah blah blah to you too, my friend.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 04:10:08 PM »

But enough about your posting history.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 04:17:22 PM »

When did you become the court jester?
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »

Yikes...what an idiot...
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 05:54:48 PM »

Yikes...what an idiot...

Still not as bad as what the religious right thinks of LDS people.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 07:06:44 PM »

When you stopped writing your timelines.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »

It's despicable when Republicans try to intimate Barack Obama is a Marxist Kenyan Muslim to gin up votes. It's equally despicable for Democrats to paint Romney as some kind of polygamist cult member.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »

It's despicable when Republicans try to intimate Barack Obama is a Marxist Kenyan Muslim to gin up votes. It's equally despicable for Democrats to paint Romney as some kind of polygamist cult member.

Obama himself has never said anything about Mormonism and the campaign has specifically stated Romney's religion should be off limits in the campaign, as recently as today.  Romney himself has said Obama was seeking to make America less Christian.  So there you have it.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 08:45:46 PM »

Damn yall, I'm a man of values, but this is almost too much for me. Romney and other Republicans can openly say that Obama is waging a war on Christianity while implying that he is an "evil Muslim" yet Romney's faith is off the table? Give me a break for gods sake.

We are a nation that supposedly observes the separation of church and state, so a person's religious convictions should be off the table for both sides. Unfortunately, Republicans have tried to make the non-issue of Obama's faith a major talking point for the entire time he's been president. I personally have no problem with Mormonism, but if democrats want to turn the tables and remind people of the bizarre history of the Mormom faith, then I say all's fair in love, war and politics.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 09:21:20 AM »

Obama himself has never said anything about Mormonism and the campaign has specifically stated Romney's religion should be off limits in the campaign, as recently as today.  Romney himself has said Obama was seeking to make America less Christian.  So there you have it.

But as a non-Christian I'm sure Romney think that's a good thing.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 12:18:46 AM »

I don't mean to take offense, but as a Mormon/Latter-Day Saint myself, I'm pretty sure my church is Christian.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 04:54:23 AM »

I don't mean to take offense, but as a Mormon/Latter-Day Saint myself, I'm pretty sure my church is Christian.
It was sarcasm.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 07:43:29 AM »

But this act of sheer ignorance and bigotry by Adams makes me wonder how low are Democrats willing to stoop, and what swamps they are willing to wallow in in an attempt to score a few points from anyone ignorant enough to fall for this tripe.

Careful, you don't want to challenge Robert Stark for whitest poster in Atlas Forum history.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies