Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 20, 2014, 04:37:03 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Romney VP vetting has begun; (rumored?) leaks on who's been contacted  (Read 3602 times)
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: May 19, 2012, 03:09:24 am »

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/228237-team-romney-begins-vetting-his-veep-picks

Mitt Romney’s campaign has begun vetting running mates, a process that will narrow his list of possible veep picks.

The team for Beth Myers, the Romney adviser leading the search for the GOP’s vice presidential nominee, has already contacted potential running mates, according to a source close to the Romney campaign.

So who has been contacted by the Romney campaign on this?  Thune says that he has *not* been contacted by the Romney people.  Portman, Rubio, and Ryan refuse to say whether they've been asked for information by the Romney campaign vetters.  Pawlenty, who'd previously said he doesn't want the job, also won't say if he's been contacted:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/05/tim-pawlenty-now-mum-on-vp-prospects/

Finally, the blog "The Race 4 2012" claims to have a source with knowledge of the vetting process, and said the following:

http://race42012.com/2012/05/19/the-race-4-2012-rumor-mill-special-weekend-veep-edition/

I am confident that, according to my sources, the following candidates have been contacted by Beth Myers for inclusion in the Veep selection process:

-Senator of Florida – Marco Rubio
-Senator of Ohio – Rob Portman
-Senator of New Hampshire – Kelly Ayotte
-Governor of New Jersey – Chris Christie
-Governor of Minnesota – Tim Pawlenty
-House of Representative of Washington State – Cathy McMorris Rodgers
-Governor of Louisiana – Bobby Jindal

Of course, this is just a blog, and presumably doesn't have the same kind of reporting standards as the NYT or WaPo, so it's worth being skeptical.  But it is a somewhat established blog that's been reporting on the race for years.

And even if it's true, it doesn't mean that there aren't additional names to the ones listed above.  In 2008, I think each campaign vetted about a dozen people or so, if not more.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 03:13:38 am by Mr. Morden »Logged

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Iceland

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:32:33 am »
Ignore

I don't understand why Cathy McMorris Rodgers in considered a potential pick. It might be too risky after 2008, but then again, maybe she's a lot sharper than Sarah Palin.

I'm a teenaged male. Everything is wrong with me.
How Erg the Self-Inducting Slew a Paleface
Kalwejt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 09:50:19 am »
Ignore

I don't understand why Cathy McMorris Rodgers in considered a potential pick. It might be too risky after 2008, but then again, maybe she's a lot sharper than Sarah Palin.

Maybe, but a generic reaction will be: "Who? Some woman I've never heard of before. Lol, another Sarah Palin for sure".

And thus, instead of helping Romney, she'd be forced to prove all over again she's not Sarah Palin.

Sadly, Palin's selection back in 2008 did a lot of harm for women in national politics.

It's a good thing to be laughed at. It's better than to be ignored

Harold Macmillan
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Iceland

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:18:04 am »
Ignore

Sadly, Palin's selection back in 2008 did a lot of harm for Republican women in national politics.

FTFY.

HagridOfTheDeep
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 2.32, S: 0.52

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:33:43 am »
Ignore

I think it only seems like it was just for Republican women because whenever anyone thinks of Democrat women, they automatically think of Hillary. And there would be no question that Hillary is qualified. She is more experienced to be the president than Obama is, and Obama's already been the president for three years.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 04:56:01 pm »

It's in Romney's political interest to be seen to be considering one or more women on his short list, so even if he really has no intention of picking either Ayotte or McMorris Rodgers, it makes sense to vet them, and leak the fact that he's vetting them.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 06:47:37 pm »
Ignore

[quote author=big bad fab doesn't hate Félix Gouin
Maybe, but a generic reaction will be: "Who? Some woman I've never heard of before. Lol, another Sarah Palin for sure".

[/quote]

I had heard Palin mentioned as a possible VP pick a while before McCain picked her, but then after she gave birth to a Down's syndrome baby, people assumed she wouldn't make the list.
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 06:50:23 pm »
Ignore

I came to the Palin conclusion fairly early, IIRC in May or June. Only saw her mentioned rather far down Halperin's list in late July.

On the OP: I'm sure there are others whose names aren't on that list.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 06:56:42 pm »

I had heard Palin mentioned as a possible VP pick a while before McCain picked her, but then after she gave birth to a Down's syndrome baby, people assumed she wouldn't make the list.

Yeah, she was definitely on the veep radar before announcing she was pregnant.  But only among political junkies who were actually following politics.  The general public had no idea who she was until the day she joined the ticket.

Here's the Palin pregnancy thread from 2008 btw:

http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=72000.0

AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 1.91

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 06:59:12 pm »
Ignore

I think it only seems like it was just for Republican women because whenever anyone thinks of Democrat women, they automatically think of Hillary. And there would be no question that Hillary is qualified. She is more experienced to be the president than Obama is, and Obama's already been the president for three years.

I make that point all the time.  That needs its own thread: People more qualified than Obama to be president.  The list would be huge.  Maybe try to estimate the numbers in categories instead of listing to tidy it up a bit.  For instance maybe only 100 mayors are actually more qualified to be president than the sitting president, instead of listing them.    

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 07:07:18 pm »
Ignore

I make that point all the time.  That needs its own thread: People more qualified than Obama to be president.  The list would be huge.  Maybe try to estimate the numbers in categories instead of listing to tidy it up a bit.  For instance maybe only 100 mayors are actually more qualified to be president than the sitting president, instead of listing them.    

I'd say it would be more limited than that, and it also depends on how you define 'qualified'. Hillary definitely counts. Romney probably does not. Someone like Jon Cornyn, as much as I dislike him politically, probably does.

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 07:34:24 pm »
Ignore

I'd say it would be more limited than that, and it also depends on how you define 'qualified'. Hillary definitely counts. Romney probably does not. Someone like Jon Cornyn, as much as I dislike him politically, probably does.
Yea, I know it depends on a lot.  Romney obviously would be more qualified because he has been a successful executive of a state, corporation, and Olympics.  Obama has been a successful executive of... nothing.  I'm not being hyper partisan about it, if I was an Obama democrat I would have to honestly admit that.  I would probably say experience or qualification isn't important or something. 

ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 07:49:34 pm »
Ignore

Jindall is still being considered? Last time I really thought alot about a Romney/Jindall ticket was October, 2010 Tongue

A Hybrid of Pat Buchanan and Bob Dylan.
AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 08:00:47 pm »
Ignore

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/228237-team-romney-begins-vetting-his-veep-picks
So, it's pretty much down to the top two names.  If this has any validity, than Ryan may have refused ??

Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 08:02:58 pm »
Ignore

Ok, I admit: I never saw Bobby Jindal's response to the state of the union address. Was it really bad enough to knock him off the VP charts? What did he even do?
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2012, 08:03:29 pm »
Ignore

So, it's pretty much down to the top two names.  If this has any validity, than Ryan may have refused ??

Doubtful considering that he's said that he would seriously consider it if asked.

7.35, 3.65

« Les plus nobles principes du monde ne valent que par l’action.  » - Charles de Gaulle

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2012, 08:22:36 pm »
Ignore

Ok, I admit: I never saw Bobby Jindal's response to the state of the union address. Was it really bad enough to knock him off the VP charts? What did he even do?
spoke awkwardly and looked unable to appear on TV...  Nothing that couldn't be fixed the question is:  Is it fixed?!?!

Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2012, 08:31:11 pm »
Ignore

Whomever wins 270 or more electoral votes is qualified to be President. That is all.
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2012, 08:41:53 pm »
Ignore

I reckon it'll be a hack in a bad (but expensive) suit.

Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2012, 09:51:05 pm »

Even if the source here is accurate, it's likely that those seven names don't constitute the full list.  Like I said, back in 2008, both McCain and Obama reportedly vetted at least a dozen or so people each.

AmericanNation
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2012, 10:17:49 pm »
Ignore

Romney-Portman style contest would be a giant snooze-fest. Bring on the fun choices!
I'd probably prefer a Romney-Ryan ticket, but I am beginning to see Portman as a better choice to win.  The more important thing is to think how 'fun' the next presidential term will be.  Think how much more fun it will be to have an IQ increase of at least 20-50 points on the winning ticket.  I know that will draw some comments, but honestly Biden is a serious concern and Obama undoubtedly has 'narrow' intelligence.  It will be fun to have some workhorses for a change!       

Bull Moose Base
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 07:46:59 am »
Ignore

Couple months ago, McMorris was trying to fan the flames of being in the veepstakes by feeding the press someone from that blog including her on a speculation list.  (Kind of like citing a performance on a poll on this site.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/how-to-run-for-vice-president/2012/04/02/gIQAiRp9qS_blog.html

Anyway, wouldn't put it past her office to leak a list that includes her name to McDonnelly get buzz going.  Speaking of McDonnell moves, Christie is running pro-Christie ads.  He can run for re-election unlike McDonnell but it wouldn't be for a year and half so, maybe more evidence he's campaigning for VP?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:24:54 am by Joementum »Logged
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Iceland

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 07:56:26 am »
Ignore

It's in Romney's political interest to be seen to be considering one or more women on his short list, so even if he really has no intention of picking either Ayotte or McMorris Rodgers, it makes sense to vet them, and leak the fact that he's vetting them.

"War on women"

Bull Moose Base
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 08:27:22 am »
Ignore

"War on women"

What do you mean to suggest?
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Iceland

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 08:53:19 am »
Ignore

"War on women"

What do you mean to suggest?

That Republicans somehow hate women and want them all to be chained to their ovens and sinks, when in fact the GOP has many prominent women, and has nominated as many female VPs as the Democrats have. It's my belief that the first female Vice President will be a Republican.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout