NAACP E-board endorses gay marriage
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:27:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  NAACP E-board endorses gay marriage
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NAACP E-board endorses gay marriage  (Read 4396 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 19, 2012, 04:28:47 PM »

How do we not have a story on this?  This honestly surprised me:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/election-2012/post/naacp-endorses-same-sex-marriage/2012/05/19/gIQA5SFSbU_blog.html
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:34:34 PM »

This isn't surprising; NAACP is more "mainstream" left-liberal than most black people.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 07:06:34 PM »

FWIW, the National Civil Rights Museum here in Memphis has had an area about the gays for years. Just like whites, blacks who are more educated and such (like those on the NAACP board) are more supportive of gay rights.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:08:42 PM »

It might be relevant that the gay marriage court cases cited Perez v. Sharp and Loving v. Virginia.
NY Jew

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »

FWIW, the National Civil Rights Museum here in Memphis has had an area about the gays for years. Just like whites, blacks who are more educated and such (like those on the NAACP board) are more supportive of gay rights.

funniest thing I've seen on this board in a long time.

Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »

Which part?  All of that sounds accurate to me...
NY Jew

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 09:48:30 PM »

it all depends how you define educated.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 09:54:09 PM »

Which part?  All of that sounds accurate to me...

It's "funny" because you define "educated" differently than the guy you're quoting obviously meant it (i.e, the strictly objective sense)?  That is the funniest thing you've seen in a long time?  You must be great at parties
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:33:29 PM »

Which part?  All of that sounds accurate to me...

It's "funny" because you define "educated" differently than the guy you're quoting obviously meant it (i.e, the strictly objective sense)?  That is the funniest thing you've seen in a long time?  You must be great at parties
I think he's amused at the notion that a schwarze could, in fact, be educated.
NY Jew

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 10:46:27 PM »
« Edited: May 19, 2012, 10:57:10 PM by NY Jew »

It's "funny" because you define "educated" differently than the guy you're quoting obviously meant it (i.e, the strictly objective sense)?  That is the funniest thing you've seen in a long time?  You must be great at parties
I think he's amused at the notion that a schwarze could, in fact, be educated.
why would you assume that?
but it's nice to confirm that liberals always use the racism card.
no I'm amused by the notion that liberals are better educated then conservatives and that NAACP board members are more educated then other blacks.

personally I'd assume that Memphis is racist.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 11:37:20 PM »

I will bet you a free pizza (this is how I bet people online!) that the NAACP board members have more formal education than the average black person, which is obviously what most people mean when they say "educated" in this context.

The fact that you find a sentence "hilarious" when you substitute your own definition for a subjective phrase, which contradicts the original meaning, suggests that you're trying a little too hard.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 11:46:13 PM »

Dude is one note. Even when no music is playing, he likes to go butting in with a very loud B flat.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 12:00:32 AM »

He also called me anti-Semitic for being opposed to Kahanism so...
NY Jew

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 12:43:05 AM »

He also called me anti-Semitic for being opposed to Kahanism so...
no I called you an anti semite for calling Borough Park fascist.
NY Jew

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 12:44:16 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2012, 12:57:31 AM by NY Jew »

I will bet you a free pizza (this is how I bet people online!) that the NAACP board members have more formal education than the average black person, which is obviously what most people mean when they say "educated" in this context.

The fact that you find a sentence "hilarious" when you substitute your own definition for a subjective phrase, which contradicts the original meaning, suggests that you're trying a little too hard.
I define education as knowledge.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 12:55:57 AM »

So you are arguing that NAACP board members are less knlowdgeable than the average black person?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 12:57:07 AM »

I definition of education means knowledge.

"Education" differs from "knowledge" in that people almost always refer to systematized or institutionalized instruction.  You've obviously lived long enough to figure out how to use the Internet, so I assume you've noticed "education" has this connotation for people.  (You also inexplicably seem to believe the same does not apply to "knowledge.")  In other words, you find this "hilarious" because you substituted what you had to know was a different-than-intended sense of the world.  You managed to be condescending, dismissive, disingenuous and humorless in one sentence flat.

I haven't run into you before, but I hope you are not this ridiculous in other topics.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 12:59:32 AM »

Alcon, I think Mr. Moderate's post sums NY Jew fairly well; he is ridiculously homophobic, eager to label others anti-Semitic, and not much else.
NY Jew

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 01:06:52 AM »

I definition of education means knowledge.

"Education" differs from "knowledge" in that people almost always refer to systematized or institutionalized instruction.  You've obviously lived long enough to figure out how to use the Internet, so I assume you've noticed "education" has this connotation for people.  (You also inexplicably seem to believe the same does not apply to "knowledge.")  In other words, you find this "hilarious" because you substituted what you had to know was a different-than-intended sense of the world.  You managed to be condescending, dismissive, disingenuous and humorless in one sentence flat.

I haven't run into you before, but I hope you are not this ridiculous in other topics.

educated has a few meanings and according to this meaning
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/education
You must be logged in to read this quote.
the statement in question is hilarious.
NY Jew

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2012, 01:08:41 AM »

So you are arguing that NAACP board members are less knlowdgeable than the average black person?
I would argue they are avg at best.
NY Jew

« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2012, 01:09:54 AM »

Alcon, I think Mr. Moderate's post sums NY Jew fairly well; he is ridiculously homophobic, eager to label others anti-Semitic, and not much else.
I don't have a phobia.  (I hate that term)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2012, 01:19:47 AM »

I know several people who dislike that usage as well, although probably for a radically different set of reasons to yours. Would you prefer anti-gay?
NY Jew

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2012, 02:01:12 AM »

I know several people who dislike that usage as well, although probably for a radically different set of reasons to yours. Would you prefer anti-gay?
I like this term.
anti practitioners of homosexuality.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 02:08:06 AM »

So, you're not opposed, necessarily, to homosexuality.. just the people practicing it?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2012, 02:10:31 AM »

I like this term.
anti practitioners of homosexuality.

No.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies